Which recreational drugs do you think should be legal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:45:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which recreational drugs do you think should be legal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Which recreational drugs do you think should be legal?  (Read 1241 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2015, 06:53:18 AM »

All drugs should be legal. The failure of Prohibition and the Drug War attests quite strongly to the fact that making otherwise law-abiding citizens into criminals leads to nothing but more crime, higher rates of addiction and misuse of drugs, and worse outcomes in general. I support the legalization (not this namby-pamby 'decriminalization' thing where you don't crush the black market) of all drugs, including the 'hard stuff' (i.e. heroin, meth, etc) that are in reality not that much worse than alcohol in terms of dependency and would be markedly less dangerous if they were regulated and sold on an open market.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 07:41:47 AM »

this, /thread
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 08:29:38 AM »

I would be open to it on a case by case basis and in favor of total decriminalization of using drugs. 

But, if you could just buy opiates or meth at the supermarket for cheap, more people would use them.  I think that's obvious common sense.  I've seen what meth, heroin, cocaine, oxycontin and crack cocaine does to people, so that's a serious concern at least.  I know people who died or really hurt themselves with addiction so I have to take that seriously.

And, what about the regulation of drugs in general?  Would TNF be alright with allowing GlaxoSmithKline to sell unregulated drugs too?  Wouldn't that be a complete disaster for consumers?
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 08:35:19 AM »

Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 08:40:10 AM »

No. I don't believe that the free market is the solution to all social ills.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 09:17:08 AM »

All of them, but the more harmful ones should be regulated in various ways to minimize their use.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 09:45:33 AM »

caffeine/alcohol/marijuana should be fully legal, most of the rest (including tobacco) should be non-criminalised.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 10:11:12 AM »

Para-methoxyamphetamine and bath salts shouldn't be legal, but I'm not sure if anyone has ever actually intentionally taken these.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 10:33:14 AM »

Marijuana should definitely be legal, and perhaps shrooms, peyote, and LSD. Otherwise, I don't think so.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 10:47:44 AM »

Marijuana and ecstasy, at least.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 11:32:18 AM »

Marijuana should be totally legalized, all other drug policy must be revamped to treat it as a medical issue
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 12:05:33 PM »

All of them, but the more harmful ones should be regulated in various ways to minimize their use.

Well, I'm fine with outright banning stuff like bath salts and krokodil, but more or less this.  (And legalization/regulation would probably crowd out the real grody stuff anyway.)

A sane drug policy would probably make it easier to get LSD than tobacco, for instance; it's mostly the weight of tradition that keeps policy as it is.  Which is not necessarily the worst thing in the world, but best for us to be honest about. I mean, alcohol is pretty harmful, but I support it being accessible far out of proportion to that (and do in fact use it pretty frequently myself) because it does play such a central role in civilization, and as such the product has evolved in so many diverse ways that are about much more than just intoxication.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 01:40:35 PM »

Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 03:59:49 PM »

I would be open to it on a case by case basis and in favor of total decriminalization of using drugs. 

But, if you could just buy opiates or meth at the supermarket for cheap, more people would use them.  I think that's obvious common sense.  I've seen what meth, heroin, cocaine, oxycontin and crack cocaine does to people, so that's a serious concern at least.  I know people who died or really hurt themselves with addiction so I have to take that seriously.

And, what about the regulation of drugs in general?  Would TNF be alright with allowing GlaxoSmithKline to sell unregulated drugs too?  Wouldn't that be a complete disaster for consumers?

The damage done by prohibition in terms of violence and lives destroyed IMO outweighs any public health consequences of legalizing hard drugs which should at most be treated as a medical problem. Marijuana absolutely should be fully legal to sell at any store.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 04:04:05 PM »

Going to go out on a limb here and say that a communist isn't going to support a corporation existing
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 04:17:23 PM »

Definitely shrooms. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 11:00:25 PM »

All of the natural ones and those easily produced from them should be legal for the simple reason that prohibition of them will not work without draconian measures that make Indonesia look liberal.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/28/asia/indonesia-firing-squad-executions/
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 07:36:22 AM »

Marijuana should definitely be legal, and perhaps shrooms, peyote, and LSD. Otherwise, I don't think so.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 12:40:57 PM »

most hallucinogens other than bath salts
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 09:09:37 PM »

I don't believe that the free market is the solution to all social ills.

Precisely. People who despise corporations for their power and influence are suddenly okay with Pfizer selling heroine and meth. It's like a fun house image of leftism.

I think we should have more inequality in how we approach different drugs. That is, I'd like to see things like marijuana legalized, and persecute stuff like meth and heroine more strictly.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 10:03:42 PM »

Alcohol, marijuana, mushrooms, LSD, peyote, tobacco fully legal.

Everything else decriminalized.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 07:34:06 AM »

People who despise corporations for their power and influence are suddenly okay with Pfizer selling heroine and meth. It's like a fun house image of leftism.

I think we should have more inequality in how we approach different drugs. That is, I'd like to see things like marijuana legalized, and persecute stuff like meth and heroine more strictly.
Actually, Heroin was Bayer's baby.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 09:14:56 AM »

Alcohol, marijuana, mushrooms, LSD, peyote, tobacco fully legal.

Everything else decriminalized.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 12:26:22 PM »

All drugs should be legal. The failure of Prohibition and the Drug War attests quite strongly to the fact that making otherwise law-abiding citizens into criminals leads to nothing but more crime, higher rates of addiction and misuse of drugs, and worse outcomes in general. I support the legalization (not this namby-pamby 'decriminalization' thing where you don't crush the black market) of all drugs, including the 'hard stuff' (i.e. heroin, meth, etc) that are in reality not that much worse than alcohol in terms of dependency and would be markedly less dangerous if they were regulated and sold on an open market.
there are other factors to consider besides actual addictive properties of a substance. although i do think its worth noting that a lot of authoritarian, 'undemocratic' governments have actually taken a less blanket anti-drug stance than the us or a lot of western europe for that matter. nazi germany for example kept a lot of the liberal drug policies of the weimar era. north korea today reportedly has no laws against marijuana. those are two of the more glaring examples i'm sure i could dig up others...
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 05:27:30 PM »

Marijuana should be totally legalized, all other drug policy must be revamped to treat it as a medical issue
That doesn't really make sense considering that a number of currently prohibited drugs aren't physically addictive.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies