Peruvian presidential election (2nd round) – June 5, 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:52:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Peruvian presidential election (2nd round) – June 5, 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]
Author Topic: Peruvian presidential election (2nd round) – June 5, 2016  (Read 43969 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: June 07, 2016, 04:36:08 PM »

Also, of the overseas vote, most of Asian isn't in yet (no more than 12 votes), and if the primary and the previous election is any reflection, she'll win it big.

She's winning America as well, 52-47 with over half in.
How is that possible? I fully expected the less "authoritarian" candidate to win internationally. I imagine Keiko's ethnicity might play a role in Asia (though I won't pretend to know anything about these dynamics in Peruvian society), but elsewhere?

I think you're thinking about it the wrong way. International Peruvians don't usually make up a unique constituency and so I don't think you can think of them unanimously in any direction.
How are internationals ever representative for their countries? We're almost always talking about people who, by definition, have more "global connections" and are more well-off.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #251 on: June 07, 2016, 04:50:39 PM »

Also, of the overseas vote, most of Asian isn't in yet (no more than 12 votes), and if the primary and the previous election is any reflection, she'll win it big.

How is that possible? I fully expected the less "authoritarian" candidate to win internationally. I imagine Keiko's ethnicity might play a role in Asia (though I won't pretend to know anything about these dynamics in Peruvian society), but elsewhere?

I think you're thinking about it the wrong way. International Peruvians don't usually make up a unique constituency and so I don't think you can think of them unanimously in any direction.
How are internationals ever representative for their countries? We're almost always talking about people who, by definition, have more "global connections" and are more well-off.

That's not really completely accurate, though.

I mean, a comparatively back woods Peruvian who gets a scholarship to study somewhere, or someone who has a spouse, etc. is different than the minority, however influential, of intellectuals with those "global connections" like, and this is a fitting example, Mario Vargas Llosa.

You're going to find more people with the latter identities in Europe and Asia though. Some of the overseas voters in Asia might be Japanese-Peruvians or the like who went back to their ancestral home for better economic opportunities as well.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #252 on: June 07, 2016, 05:49:25 PM »

If Peruvians in Argentina are in any way representative of peruvians in the rest of Latin America (or South America at least) then they are certainly not "well off".
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #253 on: June 08, 2016, 06:35:23 AM »

PPK lead now around 50K.  Europe went heavy for PPK and USA went for Fujimori by a small margin  so in the international vote PPK is up by 4K while in Peru itself PPK's lead is down to 46K.  I think there are 360K votes that has to be re-evaluated but statistically it seems unlikely to give Fujimori the numbers needed to make up 50K.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #254 on: June 08, 2016, 11:53:20 AM »

PPK lead down to 42K.  International section is unchanged at PPK lead of 4K.  In Peru itself the lead is down to 38K.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #255 on: June 08, 2016, 12:21:37 PM »

Notice the similarity between Austria and Peru:

In German-speaking Austria, a guy with a Dutch name won a close race.

In Spanish-speaking Peru, a guy with a Polish name seems to be winning a close race.
Zuza
Russian Federation
« Reply #256 on: June 08, 2016, 12:58:06 PM »

Notice the similarity between Austria and Peru:

In German-speaking Austria, a guy with a Dutch name won a close race.

In Spanish-speaking Peru, a guy with a Polish name seems to be winning a close race.

Also, both of them won despite finishing a distant second in the 1st round.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #257 on: June 08, 2016, 02:54:40 PM »

Europe went heavy for PPK and USA went for Fujimori by a small margin

Wait, did something radically change during the past few hours? I see PPK winning the USA with 54% to 46% of Keiko.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #258 on: June 08, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »

Europe went heavy for PPK and USA went for Fujimori by a small margin

Wait, did something radically change during the past few hours? I see PPK winning the USA with 54% to 46% of Keiko.

America as a whole has stayed with Fujimori, but the USA has gone more towards PPK.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #259 on: June 08, 2016, 03:51:09 PM »

1% is remaining. Since there are ~18M votes, ~180K votes are remaining. PPK's lead margin is 42K votes. So, KF needs 111K vs 69K in the remaining votes. It is hard.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #260 on: June 08, 2016, 04:07:24 PM »

1% is remaining. Since there are ~18M votes, ~180K votes are remaining. PPK's lead margin is 42K votes. So, KF needs 111K vs 69K in the remaining votes. It is hard.

But not impossible.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #261 on: June 08, 2016, 08:41:28 PM »

Fujimori seems to be benefiting from the recent small vote dumps. PPK's lead is under 40k, about 38k now.
seb_pard
« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2016, 10:39:27 PM »

Peruvians in chile are mainly people from poor rural parts of the country, are many are strong fujimori supporters. For example, my boss' maid is peruvian and all her family voted for Keiko because of her father's 'strong antiterrorist stance'. I believe is the same in Argentina, and those countries represent a third of the overseas vote.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #263 on: June 09, 2016, 02:27:37 PM »

Back up to 41.5K or so as the international lead is up to 6K. 
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #264 on: June 10, 2016, 05:57:26 AM »

Looks like final margin of victory is around 41.5K with lead of 5.5K internationally and 35K in Peru itself.  Now they have to resolve all the disputed ballots.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: June 10, 2016, 05:41:01 PM »

Looks like Fujimori concedes.  Kenji Fujimori 2021 ?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #266 on: June 10, 2016, 05:51:57 PM »

My family is beside themselves with joy that Fujimori lost.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #267 on: June 10, 2016, 06:21:03 PM »

My family is beside themselves with joy that Fujimori lost.

I am with them!
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #268 on: June 10, 2016, 07:36:35 PM »

YES!

Thank god, I was almost worried for a while.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #269 on: June 10, 2016, 10:38:16 PM »

El Chino will live on through Kenji Fujimori in 2021. Mark my words.

And the fantastic thing is that Fujimori Sr. will be released either on house arrest or plane out during PPK's term, so he'll have plenty of time to plot out his favorite son's campaign.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies