War
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:38:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  War
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support the use of military force by your country which might kill civilians in other countries
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: War  (Read 1425 times)
markrapley60
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:06:21 AM »

I am interested in the presumptuousness of government everywhere. Politicians launch wars which always kill civilians - regardless of how precise the weaponry. Do people support their political leaders in this? Defence must be the responsibility of leaders in a missile age. But pre-emptive attack? Or 'strategical annexation'? The world might be a safer place if leaders knew that they did not have the support of their citizens. At least it would be a start for media organisations to broadcast the results of  such a poll. Can WIN/Gallup add this to their end of year global survey?   Thank you. Mark Rapley, London
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 04:53:25 PM »

The question is so vague that the only real answer is "yes" unless you're hopelessly naive and out of touch.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »

The question is so vague that the only real answer is "yes" unless you're hopelessly naive and out of touch.
Sadly this is true. Though we can reduce civilian casaulties by not engaging in frivolous wars like Libya 2011, etc.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 05:23:22 PM »

In answer to this question I refer to Mr. E. Starr's seminal work 'War!'. As Starr considers his central thesis: namely 'what is it [war] good for?', he quickly ascertains his main conclusion: war is good for 'absolutely nothing'.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 05:44:13 PM »

In answer to this question I refer to Mr. E. Starr's seminal work 'War!'. As Starr considers his central thesis: namely 'what is it [war] good for?', he quickly ascertains his main conclusion: war is good for 'absolutely nothing'.

But that's nonsense. Would way have advised the UK to stand by while Argentina took the Falklands? Should Britain and France not gone to war with Germany when they invaded Poland? Should the the US & allies not gone to war to drive Saddam out of Kuwait?

A brief glance at history shows that war, however terrible, is sometimes the only way.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 07:00:04 PM »

But that's nonsense. Would way have advised the UK to stand by while Argentina took the Falklands? Should Britain and France not gone to war with Germany when they invaded Poland? Should the the US & allies not gone to war to drive Saddam out of Kuwait?

A brief glance at history shows that war, however terrible, is sometimes the only way.

Actually, that is precisely what we did try to convince them to do.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 09:59:03 PM »

Actually, that is precisely what we did try to convince them to do.

Which was a terrible idea. Case in point.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 10:34:03 PM »

Sadly this is true. Though we can reduce civilian casaulties by not engaging in frivolous wars like Libya 2011, etc.

I do find civilian deaths in war and the rationalization of it to be morally repugnant though. It's why while I believe that WWII was a necessary war I still struggle with the firebombing of Hamburg, Dresden, Tokyo and of course the big one being dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, all of which make me see the allies as merely just the lesser of two evils.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 12:45:48 AM »

The value of an Iraqi life is no different than that of an American.  Ending either life is equally immoral.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 03:05:49 AM »

The value of an Iraqi life is no different than that of an American.  Ending either life is equally immoral.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 10:39:19 AM »

My life, my family's lives and my countrymen's lives are more precious to me, than your life, your family's lives and your countrymen's lives, and that's the human condition, a life you know, a life you identifies with are many times more precious to us than the lives of strangers.
Some of you people may say you believe differently, but if you really believed so, you wouldn't be reading this comment right now, you would be working in some refuge camp in some hot hellhole, and you would plan to stay there the rest of your life, even if it made it short and miserable.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies