Childcare Reform Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:57:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Childcare Reform Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Childcare Reform Act (Debating)  (Read 4881 times)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« on: May 02, 2015, 10:38:38 AM »

I have a question. In the US, when children go to school for the first time?

They're mandated to start Kindergarten at age five, but many parents place their children in daycare and later pre-kindergarten programs before then.

I also oppose the amendment; this isn't a really big sum in the large scheme of things, and more importantly, it's being used for a very worthy cause... I don't think we need to cut down on percentages or total funds allocated just for the heck of it.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:24:28 PM »

I'm not really a fan for having a surplus for the sake of having a surplus, and I think we could probably find some other areas to cut in to account for this if we decided to pursue that route. I think we should be okay on this one.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 04:22:43 PM »

Yeah, I'm still fine with this assuming the cost estimates from Bore or Cranberry are correct. We shouldn't get obsessive about maintaining the budget surplus and throw aside a great bill like this one in the process. If that really is a top priority, then (once again) I am sure there's some silly appropriation or some older law we can remove from the books.

And I think if we were to pursue an alternative route, subsidizing decent, reasonable-cost childcare providers would be a better route than a tax credit.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 08:28:05 PM »

$50 billion should be a reasonable first estimate, I'd presume.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »

AYE
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 09:42:28 AM »

I think that we should be more cautious. No Atlasian child should grow up in poverty, but we have a basic income for that. As long as social programs are sufficient to guarantee that Atlasian families are materially secure, why should we want all parents to work?

Of course it's easy to characterize the assumptions behind this question as backwards and sexist, but that's not the sense in which I ask  it. Whether it is mothers who fathers who choose to stay at home, that's not the point. What concerns me is the implicit assumption behind this legislation, i.e. the assumption that every functioning adult should hold a job and that failing to commodify one's labor is deviant behavior and somehow less respectable than other forms of work, like caring for one's own children.

At the very least, if we're going to subsidize childcare heavily for families in which both parents work, we ought to do something that will provide a commensurate benefit to families in which a parent stays at home to raise their children.

What exactly would you propose for that then?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 04:07:48 PM »

Yes, it's pretty clear that the bureaucrats administering this would choose adequate, affordable childcare, not the luxury ones or their like. I'm willing to allocate the funds (which we've already reduced in amount) if it means making it easier for families to work without having to constantly worry about their children.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 02:00:43 PM »

Or you could just include a provision forcing the federal DoIA to set the guidelines for that.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 09:46:56 AM »

So where exactly are we at with this?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies