Opinion of Obama referring to the Baltimore protesters as "thugs"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:45:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Obama referring to the Baltimore protesters as "thugs"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: 40 keks
Horrible Statement

Pathetic Statement

ayy lmao

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Opinion of Obama referring to the Baltimore protesters as "thugs"  (Read 2181 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2015, 10:56:18 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2015, 11:37:03 PM »

It's always better addressing the structural causes behind the violence than calling people "thugs". I'm not even to enter into the appropriateness of using one word or another, just say that statements of good intentions are not enough. You have a serious problem in certain police departments, I think. There is a huge gap between brownies and whiteys. Discuss that. 
Nobody wants to discuss that in Baltimore.  This isn't Ferguson.  You see, Baltimore has been run by Dems since 1967.  The police commissioner and deputy commissioner are both black.  67% of the PD is black.  Half of the officers arrested today were black.  It isn't a "race" thing in Baltimore, no matter how much you and others might want it to be.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 04:58:38 AM »

It's always better addressing the structural causes behind the violence than calling people "thugs". I'm not even to enter into the appropriateness of using one word or another, just say that statements of good intentions are not enough. You have a serious problem in certain police departments, I think. There is a huge gap between brownies and whiteys. Discuss that. 
Nobody wants to discuss that in Baltimore.  This isn't Ferguson.  You see, Baltimore has been run by Dems since 1967.  The police commissioner and deputy commissioner are both black.  67% of the PD is black.  Half of the officers arrested today were black.  It isn't a "race" thing in Baltimore, no matter how much you and others might want it to be.

I suspect that racial prejudice may be well entrenched in the Baltimore PD, in spite of its racial composition. Do you think is so strange that a brownie can be a racist for other brownie? Haven't you ever seen women who act as the worst of male chauvinists? The circumstances around the arrest and subsequent death of Freddie Gray due to wounds inflicted are not so different from other cases across the country. Don't get fooled by issues like the political leaning of certain place or the racial share of the local PD: recent events point to a long time unsolved problem which is related to an entrenched mentality in all levels of society, a huge level of inequality and a general lack of opportunities for racial minorities. 
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 05:29:05 AM »

Freedom Statement.

I hope he continues calling out the agent provocateurs within protest movements.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2015, 12:44:54 PM »

I suspect that racial prejudice may be well entrenched in the Baltimore PD, in spite of its racial composition. Do you think is so strange that a brownie can be a racist for other brownie? Haven't you ever seen women who act as the worst of male chauvinists? The circumstances around the arrest and subsequent death of Freddie Gray due to wounds inflicted are not so different from other cases across the country. Don't get fooled by issues like the political leaning of certain place or the racial share of the local PD: recent events point to a long time unsolved problem which is related to an entrenched mentality in all levels of society, a huge level of inequality and a general lack of opportunities for racial minorities. 
Do you need help untwisting yourself there?  So, the black mayor and the black commish (not to mention Pres) shows you that there is a a huge level of inequality and a general lack of opportunities for racial minorities.  Interesting.  You'll note the rest of your fellow travelers aren't going down this road....there is a reason for that.

Yes, as your original post asserts, there is some large problems with the Baltimore PD, but it ain't racism.  Just like there are some huge problems with the Baltimore school district (one of the highest spending per pupil in the country, yet still a train wreck) and it ain't racism.  It's sh**tty management by the elected officials of the city.  That tends to happen when one party is in charge for half a century.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 01:14:23 PM »

Dead0, I highly recommend you this article that I found in the NYT. It's not focused on race, but on the perceptions of the American public: "we vastly overestimate the amount of upward mobility in our society", says.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/opinion/sunday/american-dream-or-mirage.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1409232722000&bicmet=1419773522000&_r=0

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Then check the existing data which shows the great disadvantage faced by the racial minority known as "black".
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2015, 01:26:53 PM »

The argument is that the system as a whole is racist, not that it is merely an issue of individually racist policemen. Surely you knew this already?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2015, 02:48:59 PM »

Yes, as your original post asserts, there is some large problems with the Baltimore PD, but it ain't racism.  Just like there are some huge problems with the Baltimore school district (one of the highest spending per pupil in the country, yet still a train wreck) and it ain't racism.  It's sh**tty management by the elected officials of the city.  That tends to happen when one party is in charge for half a century.

That's interesting and surely it's worthy of mentioning to understand the context. However, can you explain me the correlation between the problems in the Baltimore School District and the circumstances around the arrest of Freddy Gray?

Here's a timeline:

http://data.baltimoresun.com/news/freddie-gray/

On the other hand, I highly doubt that the "huge problems" in a certain school district can explain the general problem I was referring to ("inequality", "lack of opportunity", etc). It's more useful for that purpose checking statistical data than mentioning examples of successful individuals like President Obama.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »

So, what you guys are saying is that cops are racist, it doesn't matter what their skin color is....because of the system.  Or is it the racist cops (again, no matter their melanin levels) that make the system racist? And that this is primarily a race problem and not a generally broken system problem.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2015, 04:06:11 PM »

The system is working perfectly. It's just that the system wasn't meant to help these people in the first place.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2015, 06:19:07 PM »

Obama's "Sister Souljah" moment.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 10:20:38 PM »

Well, Obama is black, and he already gets called a racist all the time.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2015, 05:34:19 PM »

Good for the President.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length