6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:43:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: 6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter  (Read 10485 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2015, 10:07:52 AM »

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/594155883791314944
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 10:21:38 AM »

Thank God.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:41:30 AM »

Good. Conservatives are going to really explode now.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 11:06:32 AM »

not gonna celebrate until/unless they're actually found guilty
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 11:14:12 AM »

The driver was the one charged with murder? That seems quite unexpected. Eagerly awaiting the details...
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 11:22:22 AM »

I'm not going to celebrate until they start repealing some of the laws that allow officers to harass, detain, arrest, and imprison people for no particular reason.

But that will never happen so commence with the circus trials.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 11:29:33 AM »

I'm not going to celebrate until they start repealing some of the laws that allow officers to harass, detain, arrest, and imprison people for no particular reason.

Why do you characterize and/or assume it will be a "circus trial?"  Whatever its inadequacies, the current state of the law does not allow police to kill without the predicate of they or someone else being in immediate personal physical danger.  They can't even kill to stop a crime or attempt to catch a suspect absent that predicate.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 11:33:53 AM »

No probable cause for arresting him in the first place. The cops basically just kidnapped him and tortured him to death.

Also Marilyn Mosby is a badass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cmib1xr-oU&feature
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 11:58:09 AM »

The driver was the one charged with murder? That seems quite unexpected. Eagerly awaiting the details...

I'm guessing this indicates that they believe the cause of death was a "rough ride," wherein they drove erratically with the intention of slamming Gray around the back of the van.

How would not charging these officers have helped get toward your goal?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »

seems like an intentional overcharging.  hoping to get guilty pleas.  if they go to trial and beat the charges, which is hardly an impossibility, Baltimore will burn again.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 12:36:15 PM »

Seems like a stretch to me. Conviction will be very difficult. Need new prosecutor and new jurisdiction to ensure due process.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »

How does charging them get me anywhere?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 12:47:01 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2015, 01:18:09 PM by Governor Gass3268 »

Seems like a stretch to me. Conviction will be very difficult. Need new prosecutor and new jurisdiction to ensure due process.

Nope, absolutely needs to stay in Baltimore City and this prosecutor is the right person for this case. A change on either would be disrespectful to the victim who was kidnapped and tortured by the police.

Additional comment: The more I have read and heard on TV, the more Marilyn Mosby is totally the right prosecutor for this case.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 12:48:19 PM »

Why do you characterize and/or assume it will be a "circus trial?"  Whatever its inadequacies, the current state of the law does not allow police to kill without the predicate of they or someone else being in immediate personal physical danger.  They can't even kill to stop a crime or attempt to catch a suspect absent that predicate.

I've yet to observe anything but circus trials regarding race during the Obama-era.

Trayvon Martin trial was the first and the worst. They're getting slightly less offensive with each go round. Maybe the Gray trial will mimic jurisprudence, but I'm not optimistic.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 12:51:14 PM »

How does charging them get me anywhere?

Explain to me the steps that you think will get society toward the systemic reform you claim to want.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 01:24:51 PM »

Its gonna be really hard to disprove the false imprisonment charge. I feel like that charge is almost an automatic for a guilty result.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »

Explain to me the steps that you think will get society toward the systemic reform you claim to want.

1. Teach people how the system works in our compulsory education system.

Civics, taxation, and socioeconomics. Imagine what would happen when the proletariat learn that they pay the same marginal tax rate on their first dollar of income as Warren Buffet pays on his long-term capital gains.

I can't promise people will react they way I'd like, but ignorance will no longer grease the wheels of this Animal Farm.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 01:31:53 PM »

1. Teach people how the system works in our compulsory education system.

Civics, taxation, and socioeconomics. Imagine what would happen when the proletariat learn that they pay the same marginal tax rate on their first dollar of income as Warren Buffet pays on his long-term capital gains.

I can't promise people will react they way I'd like, but ignorance will no longer grease the wheels of this Animal Farm.

OK. Now how is that incompatible with prosecuting people who kidnapped and murdered a man?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 01:33:01 PM »

Its gonna be really hard to disprove the false imprisonment charge. I feel like that charge is almost an automatic for a guilty result.

I completely agree and that is the most horrifying willful action on their part as far as we know, but it is just a misdemeanor after all.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 01:36:20 PM »

OK. Now how is that incompatible with prosecuting people who kidnapped and murdered a man?

When the global financial crisis happened, why didn't you demand imprisonment for all bank tellers?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 01:38:42 PM »

When the global financial crisis happened, why didn't you demand imprisonment for all bank tellers?
A perverted analogy if I've ever seen one. Bank tellers didn't steer minorities and the poor into subprime mortgages. That was more than likely real estate agents, personal bankers, and all the bankers that work in the loan offices.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 01:40:55 PM »

Jeez I didn't realize how young these cops are! Two of them are younger than me, two of them are black and one is a woman. I keep imagining (thanks to the media) that they're all angry old white-haired men.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2015, 01:55:22 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2015, 02:11:03 PM by AggregateDemand »

A perverted analogy if I've ever seen one. Bank tellers didn't steer minorities and the poor into subprime mortgages. That was more than likely real estate agents, personal bankers, and all the bankers that work in the loan offices.

The only perversion is the fickle flip-flopping conscience of the Democratic constituency.

The reality is that these urban areas are run by Democrats. They hire the management. They set the culture and the tone of the judiciary and law enforcement. When things go awry, they blame the employees.

Even the most jaded blue-blood corporatist in the Republican Party is loyal to his fellow robber barons.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »

Thanks for drifting into incoherence.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 02:12:01 PM »

Thanks for drifting into incoherence.

You realize that employees are not to blame, unless the people in charge are Democrats. Boring, but hopefully you can understand it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies