6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:33:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: 6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter  (Read 10483 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »

Are you arguing somehow that they were just following orders?
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2015, 02:18:10 PM »

Are you arguing somehow that they were just following orders?

Do you think banking executives explicitly told loan officers and tellers to bankrupt American home-owners?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2015, 02:19:10 PM »

That's an insane analogy. Talk about the case at hand.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2015, 02:33:01 PM »

That's an insane analogy. Talk about the case at hand.

It is the assumption you made, which allowed you to ask if I thought these police officers were following orders. I'm glad you recant.

My thoughts about this event are relatively clear. Democrats throwing cops under the bus, though politicians and administrators are responsible for their employees. Perhaps you could argue that public sector unions make it nearly impossible for elected officials to weed out the bad eggs, but your avatar is red and you can't argue against unions.

You're only play is to blame the police officers. Yawn.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2015, 02:34:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There are some reports that the Freddie Gray family attorney was one of the biggest contributors to her campaign for SA.  Where I come from, that's called conflict of interest.

I also believe the jury pool will be tainted in Baltimore City. I'd be shocked if the defense doesn't ask for both a change of venue and a special prosecutor.  
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2015, 02:38:32 PM »

Yes, move the trial to some majority white, Republican county so that the officers have a good chance at getting acquitted.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »

Well if change of venue is denied, the other option is for the defense to request a bench trial. The jury pool is going to be too tainted.  Due process is the goal here.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2015, 02:49:06 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2015, 05:08:13 PM by True Federalist »

Well if change of venue is denied, the other option is for the defense to request a bench trial. The jury pool is going to be too tainted black.  Due process is the goal here.
C'mon CountryClassSF, you know you aren't fooling anyone

(Edited to make clear that the quote was altered from the original. - TF)
CountryClassSF

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »

A prosecutor who shouts "OUR TIME IS NOW" into a microphone doesn't sound to me, like a fair prosecutor.

Who is "OUR" exactly?

I am concerned with due process.  A change of venue granted in favor of the defense, to the above poster who is implying things that I am not saying, means less of a likelihood they win on appeal if convicted.  The fairer the trial the better for all sides of this.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 03:23:21 PM »

A prosecutor who shouts "OUR TIME IS NOW" into a microphone doesn't sound to me, like a fair prosecutor.

Who is "OUR" exactly?

I am concerned with due process.  A change of venue granted in favor of the defense, to the above poster who is implying things that I am not saying, means less of a likelihood they win on appeal if convicted.  The fairer the trial the better for all sides of this.

The "OUR" is all the people of Baltimore that want to see justice done.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2015, 03:25:04 PM »

Sounds like a good argument for a change of venue, if "all the people of Baltimore" are rooting for a conviction, that taints the defendants' constitutional right to a fair and impartial jury of their peers.

Baltimore County or perhaps Carroll County should take the case - or perhaps the defense will ask for somewhere further away from Baltimore, such as the western counties.

Her comments startled me and I believe were inappropriate
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2015, 03:31:59 PM »

Sounds like a good argument for a change of venue, if "all the people of Baltimore" are rooting for a conviction, that taints the defendants' constitutional right to a fair and impartial jury of their peers.

Baltimore County or perhaps Carroll County should take the case - or perhaps the defense will ask for somewhere further away from Baltimore, such as the western counties.

Her comments startled me and I believe were inappropriate

That's hilarious.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2015, 04:02:49 PM »

Again, the only reason anyone would want for a change of venue is because they want the officers to have any easier chance of getting off.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2015, 04:33:04 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2015, 04:36:49 PM by Brewer »

I'm hoping Marilyn Mosby makes a run for something higher in the future. She seems to be a pretty exceptional speaker.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2015, 05:10:15 PM »

In case you wanted to know how dumb "constitutional conservatives" are, I had one I went to HS with who is now in police training today tell me that there's NOTHING IN THE CONSTITUTION that allows 0bummer and the DOJ to investigate police departments for corruption. I guess he never bothered to read 7 of the 10 Amendments in the Bill of Rights.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2015, 05:22:48 PM »

There should be zero chance of a change of venue. I can't imagine any credible claim could be made for a jury pool less tainted by media coverage could be found in other parts of the state. At least CCSF's attempt at jury shopping did not seek to move the case to the Eastern Shore, a current Republican and former Confederate stronghold.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2015, 05:36:52 PM »

There should be zero chance of a change of venue. I can't imagine any credible claim could be made for a jury pool less tainted by media coverage could be found in other parts of the state. At least CCSF's attempt at jury shopping did not seek to move the case to the Eastern Shore, a current Republican and former Confederate stronghold.

It can go both ways, TF. You may find jurors that live in Baltimore City that had property damaged by rioters - it's likely their impartiality can and should be questioned as well. The court and attorneys would spend a fairly large amount of time striking potential jurors during selection, as well as extra time spent vetting each juror. Should the venue be outside of Baltimore, maybe even outside of the suburbs, there's less of a likelihood of the jury pool having been affected by the riots. So yes, it's
About a fair and impartial jury for the accused, but also for Gray.

The other aspect of this that is concerning is that Mrs. Mosby received substantial political contributions from Gray fam attorney as well as her brother serving on the council.

In the old days, the progressives of yester-year would want due process for the accused. Unfortunately it appears that has changed
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2015, 05:44:01 PM »

In case you wanted to know how dumb "constitutional conservatives" are, I had one I went to HS with who is now in police training today tell me that there's NOTHING IN THE CONSTITUTION that allows 0bummer and the DOJ to investigate police departments for corruption. I guess he never bothered to read 7 of the 10 Amendments in the Bill of Rights.

No, he just hasn't read the 14th.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2015, 05:48:59 PM »

According to this, Gray family attorney is Mrs.
Mosby's "mentor" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3063807/Baltimores-prosecutor-faces-big-test-4-months-job.html

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »

baltimore police have arrested the man who filmed gray's arrest
CountryClassSF

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2015, 10:13:30 PM »

Appears multiple legal scholars on Fox News agreed with my notions - for officers to get fair and impartial jury, trial must be moved to greater Maryland, and must include new prosecutor.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2015, 10:34:02 PM »

Appears multiple legal scholars on Fox News agreed with my notions - for officers to get fair and impartial jury, trial must be moved to greater Maryland, and must include new prosecutor.
Because we all know that cable networks never pander to the biases of their viewers.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2015, 10:39:16 PM »

If Fox News said it, it must be true!
CountryClassSF

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2015, 10:43:08 PM »

Fox News didn't say anything, the non-partisan  biracial legal scholars they had on did. 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2015, 10:51:31 PM »

Fox News didn't say anything, the non-partisan  biracial legal scholars they had on did. 

By definition, if you accept to be on Fox News, you're not non-partisan.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies