6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:56:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: 6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter  (Read 10478 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2015, 10:56:45 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Fox News didn't say anything, the non-partisan  biracial legal scholars they had on did. 

By definition, if you accept to be on Fox News, you're not non-partisan.

Exactly! Also there is no way it will be moved out of Baltimore City, like TrueFederalist said. This case will be tried in Baltimore City. Also Mosby has repeated time after time that she will not recuse herself from the case and I don't know who else under Maryland law could remove her from the case. Maybe the Governor or a Judge, but I can't imagine either doing that as well considering both are elected officials.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2015, 11:15:23 PM »

Just to clarify, I think that it is possible, tho not likely, that the prosecutor may be replaced. However, is it really a conflict of interest if a lawyer sides with the party they are advocating on behalf of? I think not.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2015, 11:19:25 PM »

Good to hear.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2015, 11:20:55 PM »

Mosby may have a political interest in the prosecution, but isn't that true of elected prosecutors all the time?  I don't see any evidence that counts as reason for her to step aside.

Jury selection is going to be tricky just due to the level of prior information and discussion people will have been exposed to already.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2015, 11:28:36 PM »

However, is it really a conflict of interest if a lawyer sides with the party they are advocating on behalf of? I think not.

Totally agree with this statement. Prosecutors almost always fight for victims of murders and their family members. This including collaborating with their representatives and attorneys. So no there is no conflict of interest.  

The reason I said almost always is because when the murders are the police, the prosecutors almost always transform into a defense lawyer trying to defend police from their wrong doing. This is why this situation feels so weird and refreshing. Mosby is actually doing her job and making sure that these cops are held to the same rule of law that everyone else is.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2015, 11:31:55 PM »

Jury selection is going to be tricky just due to the level of prior information and discussion people will have been exposed to already.

Yet this is true of almost every big major case. The kept the Boston Bombing trail in Boston even though everyone there was exposed to prior information and discussion.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2015, 11:54:40 PM »

They should move the trial to Prince George's county.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2015, 12:03:37 AM »

Roll Eyes  No need to be just as obnoxious in the other partisan direction.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2015, 12:26:05 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2015, 12:29:23 AM by ag »

Well, if the argument is that "it is impossible to have a fair trial because everybody in Baltimore knows about the case and because of the riots", why would moving the trial to a jurisdiction with similar demographics and political composition as the original, but without the riots, obnoxious? Or what was the argument for moving the trial?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2015, 12:28:15 AM »

Well, if the argument is that "it is impossible to have a fair trial because everybody in Baltimore knows about the case and because of the riots", why would moving the trial to a jurisdiction with the same population composition as the original, but without the riots, obnoxious? Or what was the argument for moving the trial?
Because some of the apologists on this forum know that sending the trial out to scared white jurors in the suburbs will dramatically increase the chance of an acquittal.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2015, 12:30:10 AM »

Well, if the argument is that "it is impossible to have a fair trial because everybody in Baltimore knows about the case and because of the riots", why would moving the trial to a jurisdiction with the same population composition as the original, but without the riots, obnoxious? Or what was the argument for moving the trial?
Because some of the apologists on this forum know that sending the trial out to scared white jurors in the suburbs will dramatically increase the chance of an acquittal.

That, of course, is a nice legal point.

But I would still like to hear an argument for not moving it to Prince George's county (assuming it has to be moved).
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2015, 01:18:35 AM »

Well, if the argument is that "it is impossible to have a fair trial because everybody in Baltimore knows about the case and because of the riots", why would moving the trial to a jurisdiction with similar demographics and political composition as the original, but without the riots, obnoxious? Or what was the argument for moving the trial?
Similar political composition?  Granted, it's not as extreme a change politically as in the other direction, but per capita, Prince George County has roughly 20% fewer Republicans (i.e., fair and balanced jurors in the view of Faux News) than does the City of Baltimore.

But I would still like to hear an argument for not moving it to Prince George's county (assuming it has to be moved).
Not that I think it should be moved, but if the trial were moved because of media contamination, moving it to a county in the Baltimore or Washington media markets makes little sense.  Maybe one of the Appalachian counties in the Pittsburgh market or one of the Eastern Shore counties in the Salisbury market would have a reduced level of media contamination, tho I doubt that given the national attention the case has received.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2015, 01:34:43 AM »

Similar political composition?  Granted, it's not as extreme a change politically as in the other direction, but per capita, Prince George County has roughly 20% fewer Republicans (i.e., fair and balanced jurors in the view of Faux News) than does the City of Baltimore.

Similar enough. In Baltimore City it was Obama 87.19% Romney 11.09%, and in Prince George´s it was Obama 89.73%, Romney 9.22%.  Hard, really, to make it any more precise. True enough, it is about 20% difference: but 20% of something that close to zero is negligible, anyway. Or, you could say, there are only about 3% more Dems there Smiley
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2015, 01:34:21 PM »

The two cops charged with assault but not the death are going to be acquitted, full-stop. Those are some weak charges. I could even see them being dismissed early on by an impartial judge.

I think the other four stand a good chance of being convicted, though. The murder charge is going to be very hard to prove, but manslaughter has a good case for it.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2015, 12:27:35 PM »

Goodson claims audio exists of him asking other officers to restrain Gray

I was always disgusted by the absurd Nero/Miller charges, but this basically settles it for me. At least 90% of these charges are nonsense, and obviously none of them should result in any sort of criminal punishment. Incredibly upsetting to see such seemingly lovely people's lives ruined in the name of politics. Sad

I can hardly bear to live in this world any longer.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2015, 12:32:54 PM »

None of the officers in this case is a victim, not one. Go by the book and you won't get into trouble, it's as simple as that.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2015, 02:02:09 PM »

I was always disgusted by the absurd Nero/Miller charges, but this basically settles it for me. At least 90% of these charges are nonsense, and obviously none of them should result in any sort of criminal punishment. Incredibly upsetting to see such seemingly lovely people's lives ruined in the name of politics. Sad

These lovely people would not have been in trouble if they would simply respect human lives a bit more. Not arresting people on invented charges (presumably, planning a perjury to justify it) would have also helped. Hopefully, they will have a few years to think why a police badge is not a licence to commit crimes.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2015, 02:22:51 PM »

The two cops charged with assault but not the death are going to be acquitted, full-stop. Those are some weak charges. I could even see them being dismissed early on by an impartial judge.

I think the other four stand a good chance of being convicted, though. The murder charge is going to be very hard to prove, but manslaughter has a good case for it.

I guess Maryland doesn't have a felony murder law. The assault the officers committed/were accomplices to resulted in the unlawful death of Freddie Gray. That's the definition of felony murder.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2015, 03:45:17 PM »

obviously things went really wrong but these officers didn't set out to kill a guy.   I'm curious what was the plan? police make eye contact with a guy and he takes off so they have probable cause to chase and apprehend and search him. But once they found nothing illegal (folding knife is legal) they still arrested him and put him in the van. Why? What were they going to do with him once he got to the station?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »

obviously things went really wrong but these officers didn't set out to kill a guy.   I'm curious what was the plan? police make eye contact with a guy and he takes off so they have probable cause to chase and apprehend and search him. But once they found nothing illegal (folding knife is legal) they still arrested him and put him in the van. Why? What were they going to do with him once he got to the station?

It's possible the officers didn't know that the folding knife was legal to carry. They don't seem like the brightest bunch.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2015, 05:20:31 PM »

Also, let's be real for a moment? Who here is going to call out their superior for such a thing in the moment?

The new thing being pushed is "suspected drug deal" though I certainly don't buy that. How would the prosecutor be unaware of such an important fact?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2015, 05:29:47 PM »

Goodson sounds like a good guy to flip on the rest of the officers and testify for the prosecution.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2015, 05:31:52 PM »

Goodson sounds like a good guy to flip on the rest of the officers and testify for the prosecution.

Why would he get the strongest charges against him then? Wouldn't you think they just charge someone else with nonsense they didn't do just to testify against the central guy they want to put away? It sounded like the prosecutor wanted to make Goodson the face of this with the murder charge.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2015, 05:34:12 PM »

I guess Maryland doesn't have a felony murder law. The assault the officers committed/were accomplices to resulted in the unlawful death of Freddie Gray. That's the definition of felony murder.

Every state has some variant of a felony murder law. At least I would be shocked if that were not the case.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »

Why would he get the strongest charges against him then? Wouldn't you think they just charge someone else with nonsense they didn't do just to testify against the central guy they want to put away? It sounded like the prosecutor wanted to make Goodson the face of this with the murder charge.

If I remember right, Goodson was the only one of the six that didn't give a statement to the investigation team. Maybe that played a part?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies