6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:51:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: 6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter  (Read 10491 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2015, 03:43:05 AM »

RE: The knife
I guess it is possible the cops didn't know it was legal. My first thought was that the cops were probably using the knife as a pretext to get him down to the station and rattle him to try to get him to snitch. (FOX had an anonymous cop on who said Gray had snitched in the past http://www.mediaite.com/tv/friend-of-charged-cops-on-fox-freddie-gray-put-on-a-show-but-was-great-witness-for-us/ )

I did find an article from the Village Voice that noted how the NYPD has been arresting a lot of people for what should be legal knives but are applying NY law (which is similar to MD) very broadly.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2015/04/freddie_grays_death_in_police.php

It's possible that the Baltimore PD (and maybe many others) are also misusing old knife laws to arrest people.

t_host1

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2015, 11:01:55 AM »

I think I just heard officers plea' will be delayed in wait of a grand jury finding. *PA admits charges where only to prevent more crimes against persons and property. Offers no charges against the thugs of crimes*.

*Radio version
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2015, 11:18:49 AM »

RE: The knife
I guess it is possible the cops didn't know it was legal.

In that case they should prosecute whoever certified they had been properly trained. And, of course, that implies that the bulk of the police command in Baltimore should have been fired yesterday.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2016, 01:18:23 PM »

Beautiful news today! The rule of the mob cannot prevail. The most obviously innocent of those officers charged was cleared today by a judge.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-nero-verdict-20160521-story.html
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »

The Miller/Nero charges were the height of absurdity, and I'm glad justice prevailed (I can't imagine it won't for Miller as well). I just hope these fraudulent prosecutions don't taint the very valid prosecutions of Goodman and the rest.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »

Caesar Goodson, the officer facing the most serious charges, has just been acquitted!  Hack Prosecutor Moseby is now 0 for 3 on convictions for the police officers.  Couldnt have happened to a worse lady, either. These rushed charges were a joke.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2016, 11:11:02 AM »

This is a great day for America.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2016, 11:27:14 AM »

Terrible decision on Goodson, but this is on the head of Marilyn Moseby, who should lose her job over this fiasco.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2016, 07:08:22 PM »

always sad to see people celebrating murderers getting away scot-free
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2016, 07:44:24 PM »

Massive prosecutorial incompetence is evident.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2016, 08:14:40 PM »

always sad to see people celebrating murderers getting away scot-free
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2016, 08:17:35 PM »

Just like Rodney King: You can have the murder/attack on video and they always get away with it.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2016, 09:13:24 PM »

MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2016, 11:13:31 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2016, 12:31:55 AM by MK »

Just like Rodney King: You can have the murder/attack on video and they always get away with it.

What murder/attack are you referring to?       These were bogus charges that should have never been made to start with.  People like you who haven't been in those officers boots would never understand that anyway. 

The Gray family should have to give back that settlement money.   What a waste of tax payers money, liberal incompetence at its best.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2016, 09:06:36 AM »

The other prosecutions looked like non-starters from day 1, but I am extremely surprised that the driver was acquitted.

When multiple other prosecutions look like non-starters and the cases fall apart, people start to become skeptical of the whole incident. Unfortunate, but this is why prosecutors can't be allowed to go nuts and cater to the public. Every case needs to go through a carefully selected Grand Jury.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2016, 03:10:41 PM »

The other prosecutions looked like non-starters from day 1, but I am extremely surprised that the driver was acquitted.

When multiple other prosecutions look like non-starters and the cases fall apart, people start to become skeptical of the whole incident. Unfortunate, but this is why prosecutors can't be allowed to go nuts and cater to the public. Every case needs to go through a carefully selected Grand Jury.

If a Prosecutor goes forth with an indictment because of public pressure to produce an indictment, or because they, personally desire an indictment, but they know, going forward, that they will not be able to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt, the Governor of a State should (if he/she can) remove that Prosecutor from office, and the Bar Association of that state should investigate for the purpose of initiating discipline, up to and including disbarment. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies