Jeb Bush likes controversial sociologist Charles Murray's books (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:45:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jeb Bush likes controversial sociologist Charles Murray's books (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jeb Bush likes controversial sociologist Charles Murray's books  (Read 3233 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« on: May 02, 2015, 04:49:01 AM »
« edited: May 02, 2015, 04:51:10 AM by Adam T »

I think people are capable of recognizing that a writer can have both good and bad ideas.  Charles Murray has made some interesting and original contributions, unlike his perspective on race and IQ which are neither.

While I don't disagree with this, it is also true that it's more than likely that Mr Murray used his credentials and standing to promote b.s racist theories.  Given that it seems he did this on the one occasion it does raise serious questions as to whether any of his scholarship is valid.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »

I think people are capable of recognizing that a writer can have both good and bad ideas.  Charles Murray has made some interesting and original contributions, unlike his perspective on race and IQ which are neither.

While I don't disagree with this, it is also true that it's more than likely that Mr Murray used his credentials and standing to promote b.s racist theories.  Given that it seems he did this on the one occasion it does raise serious questions as to whether any of his scholarship is valid.

Are you accusing him of just making things up?  The fault is with the interpretation of the evidence.  Herrnstein probably deserves more credit for The Bell Curve than his co-author Murray does, and students still study his work in behavioral psychology.

No.  I am accusing him of claiming that data that he said supported his case were entirely irrelevant.  I don't dispute that he reported the data honestly.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »

I've taken two IQ tests.  They measure some forms of intelligence but I'd hardly call them definitive. They barely test for creative intelligence and they don't measure at all either so-called 'lateral thinking' or emotional intelligence.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies