Jeb Bush likes controversial sociologist Charles Murray's books (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:57:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jeb Bush likes controversial sociologist Charles Murray's books (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jeb Bush likes controversial sociologist Charles Murray's books  (Read 3245 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: May 01, 2015, 11:40:18 PM »
« edited: May 01, 2015, 11:44:02 PM by shua »

I think people are capable of recognizing that a writer can have both good and bad ideas.  Charles Murray has made some interesting and original contributions, unlike his perspective on race and IQ which are neither.  The interesting part of the Murray's views on IQ was its suggestions of the social impact as being increasingly harder to overcome in the contemporary economy. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 12:50:30 PM »

I think people are capable of recognizing that a writer can have both good and bad ideas.  Charles Murray has made some interesting and original contributions, unlike his perspective on race and IQ which are neither.

While I don't disagree with this, it is also true that it's more than likely that Mr Murray used his credentials and standing to promote b.s racist theories.  Given that it seems he did this on the one occasion it does raise serious questions as to whether any of his scholarship is valid.

Are you accusing him of just making things up?  The fault is with the interpretation of the evidence.  Herrnstein probably deserves more credit for The Bell Curve than his co-author Murray does, and students still study his work in behavioral psychology.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 07:42:29 PM »

Why am I not surprised that racist apologists like Charles Murray? Roll Eyes

I didn't know you were a fan. Which book of his do you find most interesting?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »

I'm sick and tired of racists on this forum masquerading as believers in a post-racial consensus where "they don't see color". Charles Murray's focus on IQ scores is unforgivable. It isn't not a mere flaw or a slight negative: Charles Murray played a significant role in resurrecting the grand intellectual project of justifying racism.

Do you realize how demeaning it is when scholars claim that your "race" is objectively "dumber" than another "race", which happens to be their own "race"? Can you fathom what it means for Latinos, Africans and South Asians when racist pseudo-scientists indirectly support eugenics, racial segregation and racial hierarchies as being in accordance with "evolution"?

My ethnic background and my genetic line is suspect. My so-called intelligence is thought of as an "outlier" by Americans; an expression of my lack of "Mexicanness", something that pseudo-scientists like Murray and Nicholas Wade might think is due to my half-white background. Meanwhile, you think that being called a racist is a form of oppression, some expression of a race-based animus on my part. Get over yourself, man. If you think getting called out is uncomfortable, imagine the core of your identity being questioned and demeaned since you were a small child. This is one of the wonderful gifts that Charles Murray has helped bestow upon the world: the gift of racism that is intellectually justified.

If you justify Charles Barron's hatred of white people - not unrelated things about him but the hatred itself - yes, that sounds a hell of a lot like race-based animus.   I am glad relatively few of the racial and ethnic minorities you claim to speak for are as hateful and prejudiced as you are towards people who have different perspectives from themselves. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 07:48:28 PM »

I'm sick and tired of racists on this forum masquerading as believers in a post-racial consensus where "they don't see color". Charles Murray's focus on IQ scores is unforgivable. It isn't not a mere flaw or a slight negative: Charles Murray played a significant role in resurrecting the grand intellectual project of justifying racism.

Do you realize how demeaning it is when scholars claim that your "race" is objectively "dumber" than another "race", which happens to be their own "race"? Can you fathom what it means for Latinos, Africans and South Asians when racist pseudo-scientists indirectly support eugenics, racial segregation and racial hierarchies as being in accordance with "evolution"?

My ethnic background and my genetic line is suspect. My so-called intelligence is thought of as an "outlier" by Americans; an expression of my lack of "Mexicanness", something that pseudo-scientists like Murray and Nicholas Wade might think is due to my half-white background. Meanwhile, you think that being called a racist is a form of oppression, some expression of a race-based animus on my part. Get over yourself, man. If you think getting called out is uncomfortable, imagine the core of your identity being questioned and demeaned since you were a small child. This is one of the wonderful gifts that Charles Murray has helped bestow upon the world: the gift of racism that is intellectually justified.

If you justify Charles Barron's hatred of white people - not unrelated things about him but the hatred itself - yes, that sounds a hell of a lot like race-based animus.   I am glad relatively few of the racial and ethnic minorities you claim to speak for are as hateful and prejudiced as you are towards people who have different perspectives from themselves. 

Thanks for ignoring most of the body of my post, friend!

The idea that I have some kind of race-based animus is surreal. The vast majority of my friends are white, my father is white, half of my family is white. While I don't agree with most of their views on issues of race, issues that they can't comprehend properly because they stand to benefit from our current racial constructs and subconsciously interpret themselves differently than racial minorities, I don't hate them.

My race-based animus only extends to white people in the context of discussions surrounding race and ethnicity. Although this is a pretty important topic, it's quite minuscule. I'm friends with racists. I look past their hatred and they look past my ethnicity. Does that mean I'm going to respect their perspective or applaud their hate? No.

So you look past someone's race and it means you are not racist?  But that doesn't work for your white friends? And someone is never allowed to look past the racism of an author long enough to respect their other contributions?   I know you  think I am a racist for thinking it, but you truly make no sense on this issue. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 08:32:49 AM »

For anyone interested in a fair minded description of The Bell Curve that also demolishes the idea of a stable race-IQ connection on the basis of something besides political correctness, Thomas Sowell's review is worth a read.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 11:03:11 PM »

Mexican-Americans are likely to remain, in terms of measurements of them as a group, relatively poorer than other Americans and affected by trends characteristic of recent immigration simply because it is unlikely that immigration from Mexico will wind down anytime soon. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies