Perot's Last Minute 2000 Endorsement of George W. Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:00:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Perot's Last Minute 2000 Endorsement of George W. Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Perot's Last Minute 2000 Endorsement of George W. Bush  (Read 484 times)
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2015, 11:13:53 AM »
« edited: May 02, 2015, 11:15:43 AM by Fuzzy Bear »

In the last days of the 2000 campaign, H. Ross Perot, founder of the Reform Party and billionaire, endorsed George W. Bush for President.  This seems to have been barely noticed, which is remarkable given (A) that Perot's candidacy in 1992 was fueled by his dislike for Bush 41 and (B) the Reform Party, though in utter chaos in 2000, had a somewhat viable Presidential candidate in Pat Buchanan (who, obviously, was not H. Ross Perot).  Bush went on to be elected narrowly, winning narrow margins in FL (disputed to this day), OH, and MO; all big Perot states that carried for Clinton.

I have always viewed Perot as a dissident Republican whose endorsement represented a reconciliation of a disaffected faction with the major party.  In that sense, I believe that in the 2000 game of inches, Perot's endorsement of Bush 43 was underreported and underrecognized, yet crucial to his victory.

I'm curious if I'm the only one who noticed this and saw that event as significant.  Would Gore have won if Perot had stayed neutral?  Would Bush 43 have won bigger if Perot had endorsed him with more fanfare, and earlier on in the election, making it plain from an earlier point that he was on the Bush 2000 team?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 12:13:51 AM »

The last minute disclosure of Bush's DWI was crucial to his defeat.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 12:15:28 AM »

The last minute disclosure of Bush's DWI was crucial to his defeat.

The DWI thing was a big blow, definitely.  The timing of the release of that information was thought to have lowered turn-out among evangelicals.  Those voters came out in full force in 2004, but even then, Bush had to get them there with gay marriage bans.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies