American Parliament Election Series: 1858
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:40:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  American Parliament Election Series: 1858
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who has your vote?
The Conservatives

The Liberal Republicans

The Radicals

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: American Parliament Election Series: 1858  (Read 598 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2015, 08:58:13 PM »

I've decided to take the election series I'd previously been working on and tweak it a little bit. In our history, the United Colonies were granted Dominion within the British Empire by King George III, supported by Lord Shelburne, but opposed by Lord North, the King dissolved Parliament and an election was called, whereby the Whigs gained a majority allowing for such a change to take place.

We begin our story in the year 1858, however. The primary conflict facing the Dominion of America is the slavery question as well as continued border disputes with the Republic of Texas. There are currently three major parties in the American Parliament that dispute over these two major issues as well as others both economically and in foreign policy.

The Conservative Party - Led by the current Prime Minister Lewis Cass, the Conservative Party is favorable to the continuation of slavery, even though Great Britain has already banned the practice, the Americans have fought the ban, claiming it would be damaging economically and saying that negro slaves were not civilized enough to be granted freedom. Cass and the Conservatives tend to agree with this line. They are also the party of the lassiez-faire capitalists and they oppose any conditions which would lead to the liberalization of labor laws and they alternately support local trade laws, rather than being protectionist or free trade, as such a policy helps with votes. Cass is opposed to a strong military, however and wants to strike a conciliatory tone with the Texas Republic, whom he hopes someday to annex. Cass is getting older, however and he is looking for a successor to take over within the next few years.

The Liberal Republican Party - The LRP is the Official Opposition Party led by the dynamic William H. Seward, who is strictly opposite Cass in almost every personal detail. Seward is younger and very much anti-slavery, however, he supports gradual emancipation as the most logical way to end the practice, thereby avoiding civil strife. The LRP is hawkish and they want to take defense responsibilities further into the hands of America rather than rely on heavy British protection. They are willing to go to war with Texas over the border disputes going on, and they want to improve the lives of the urban poor with a modest wage increase, which they want to pay with through the increased tariff. The LRP are protectionists, though there is a minor free trade contingent in the party.

The Radical Party - Just what it says on the tin. The Radicals, led by ardent anti-slavery activist Charles Sumner, the Radicals are primarily a party dedicated to uniting the interests of poor farmers, laborers and anti-slavery activists no matter the color. They are fully prepared to fight for their beliefs, they are strongly for free trade, and they also are the only party opposed to continued status as a Dominion of Great Britain and they are true independent minded egalitarians. They have trouble electorally as they do not have the reach to stand in a majority of constituencies. Their primary base is in New England and some Midwest areas.

So, have at it folks. Any questions you have about the series, I'll be happy to answer.

3 days.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 10:24:17 PM »

This is a fascinating scenario! Is the American Dominion limited to the original thirteen colonies (perhaps with expanded borders), or have new Western settlements entered the mix? Also, how has continued allegiance to Britain altered American thinking on constitutional government? The fact the opposition is calling itself "republican" seems to suggest that the colonies view this as the ideal form of government (at least in theory), but I'm curious just how democratic the political system really is.

Anyways, I voted Liberal Republican. Seward for Prime Minister!
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 10:25:31 PM »

Radicals of course.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 10:54:02 PM »

This is a fascinating scenario! Is the American Dominion limited to the original thirteen colonies (perhaps with expanded borders), or have new Western settlements entered the mix? Also, how has continued allegiance to Britain altered American thinking on constitutional government? The fact the opposition is calling itself "republican" seems to suggest that the colonies view this as the ideal form of government (at least in theory), but I'm curious just how democratic the political system really is.

Anyways, I voted Liberal Republican. Seward for Prime Minister!

Thanks.

No, the expansion goes as far as Texas and includes the Louisiana Purchase territory. However, unlike IRL, in our history, Britain simply assumed control of the territory after defeating Napoleon and divided the land between the American and Canadian Dominions. California is still a Mexican possession. What happens next with these settlements will be determined by the next government.

As far as the LRP, Republicanism is not quite the term we would think of it as today. The LRP evolved out of the old Whigs and the tiny Liberal Party to form the LRP. The LRP's brand of Republicanism is a dedication to continued representative democracy, though within the framework of remaining loyal to the crown.

Unlike its British counterpart, the American Constitution is a written document that was approved by Westminster. It creates a single American House of Commons located in Philadelphia, and all laws passed require Royal Assent, which is achieved through the signature of a Governor based in Philadelphia, selected by the Monarch.

There are 250 constituencies in the American House. Voting rights are granted to all white men, be they property owner or not. The Radicals support enfranchisement of all individuals. The LRP has considered supporting extending the franchise to literate women (black voting rights considered too much to press for, but unlike the government, the LRP considers them people in bondage and eventually want to bring us to the point where blacks have voting rights) as well, but that proposal is stiffly opposed by Conservatives who support the current status quo.

Americans are a democratic loving people though. Things like Rotten Boroughs, of which existed for a long time in Britain, are considered below contempt. Each constituency has a ready and active voting base.

Hopefully, I've got your questions answered.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 11:07:51 PM »

Radical, oddly enough. Tongue
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 01:32:14 AM »

Voted for the Radicals.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 01:46:03 AM »

I voted for the Conservatives because they'll be swamped by the other two parties anyway.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 01:47:05 AM »

Votes for Radicals don't count for as much (yet) because they are only standing in about 90 constituencies, but they do have hopes of being highly influential on the next government. They can't win the election outright, yet.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 12:45:52 PM »

Still about a day to go on this for anyone who is going to vote.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 08:59:38 PM »

Voting Conservative to make the timeline more interesting, but I'm obviously most favorable to the Radical platform in reality.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 10:20:54 PM »

I assume most of us would be... But in order to keep things in balance, they can't form the next government. But they could be a coalition partner.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 02:45:03 PM »

Who are the PMs so far?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 02:46:47 PM »

Hopefully, I've got your questions answered.

Yes, thank-you!
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 07:01:52 PM »

Swing voter. On economics and foreign policy I'm Conservative but as a Methodist (would be one at this point as the Assemblies of God and modern day Pentacostals were still almost 60 years in the future) and a fierce abolitionist I would be open to some Liberal Republicans.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 08:18:49 PM »

I'll list them in a Master Thread.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length