Texas: two gunmen shot dead after opening fire at Mohammed cartoon contest
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:01:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Texas: two gunmen shot dead after opening fire at Mohammed cartoon contest
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Texas: two gunmen shot dead after opening fire at Mohammed cartoon contest  (Read 8802 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2015, 11:17:31 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

snip:

snip:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/03/us/mohammed-drawing-contest-shooting/index.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 02:18:28 AM »

Texas is simply the wrong place for these Islamo-fundies trying to attack.

The can't even walk 2 meters and they already have a bullet through their heads ...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 03:40:11 AM »

Why the hell is Geert Wilders allowed in the country?! Thanks Obama. 😒
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 07:30:38 AM »

Texas is simply the wrong place for these Islamo-fundies trying to attack.

The can't even walk 2 meters and they already have a bullet through their heads ...

Not just the Islamo-fundies, either...
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:49:50 AM »

Pamela Geller is pretty much all you need to know about this story... jesus she's crazy.

I'm all for expressing your free speech rights and what have you but isn't a "Muhammad Art Exhibit and Context" a bit flagrantly offensive? 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 07:55:10 AM »

Pamela Geller is pretty much all you need to know about this story... jesus she's crazy.

I'm all for expressing your free speech rights and what have you but isn't a "Muhammad Art Exhibit and Context" a bit flagrantly offensive? 

How is it offensive?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »

It's offensive and moronic, but it shouldn't be prohibited.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 09:52:42 AM »

I'm sure the organizers and the Islamophobic crowd are happy about this. Just more ammo for them to trash Islam and Muslims with.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 10:18:28 AM »

I'm sure the organizers and the Islamophobic crowd are happy about this. Just more ammo for them to trash Islam and Muslims with.

Yeah, who doesn't want their art exhibition shot up? Roll Eyes
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 01:40:41 PM »

This is real life trolling with tragic consequences.

Putting on a Muhammad Art Exhibit and Cartoon Contest in Texas? It would be comic if it weren't so sad.

I'm sure Gellar wanted something like this to happen. If I were that security guard that got shot in the leg I would sue her.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 01:52:45 PM »

This is what the organizers wanted in order to prove their point.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »

"Your honour, she was asking for it."
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 02:10:52 PM »

I wouldn't mourn for Geert Wilders but I certainly wouldn't want to him to be shot by terrorists.

The usual suspects think that opponents of terrorism must applaud the courageous acts of far-right Islamophobes. I think this exhibit is vile, disrespectful and stupid. I wouldn't shed a tear for Geer Wilders or anyone in this contest if they were to be shot. With that being said, I'm glad they weren't shot. That would be bad because they're people.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 02:15:15 PM »

I wouldn't mourn for Geert Wilders but I certainly wouldn't want to him to be shot by terrorists.

The usual suspects think that opponents of terrorism must applaud the courageous acts of far-right Islamophobes. I think this exhibit is vile, disrespectful and stupid. I wouldn't shed a tear for Geer Wilders or anyone in this contest if they were to be shot. With that being said, I'm glad they weren't shot. That would be bad because they're people.

What is vile or disrespectful about it?  Nobody ever seems to have an answer as to why a cartoon of Mohammed is offensive whatsoever. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 02:23:06 PM »

What is vile or disrespectful about it?  Nobody ever seems to have an answer as to why a cartoon of Mohammed is offensive whatsoever. 

Putting up images of Mohammed are blasphemous or something like that in the Muslim religion, with cartoons presumably being more so. But I suspect you already knew that.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 02:24:22 PM »

I personally dislike that people spit on someone else's taboos and rituals. Sadly these morons (the terrorists) end up justifying the acts of people like Wilders, by how they react to them.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 02:24:35 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2015, 02:29:17 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

What is vile or disrespectful about it?  Nobody ever seems to have an answer as to why a cartoon of Mohammed is offensive whatsoever.  

It's offensive because it incites Islamic hatred for the pure purpose of the provocation of a religious minority. It's offensive because Muslims think it is offensive, vile and disrespectful. This isn't a weird concept to me because I respect the concerns of human beings, even if they're rooted in experiences or theological/philosophical/whatever schemas that I don't understand. Even if I hated Islam (I don't), I would dislike this event because I think that public trolling is undignified garbage that isn't fit for polite society.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 02:33:45 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2015, 02:35:49 PM by PR »

This isn't a weird concept to me because I respect the concerns of human beings, even if they're rooted in experiences or theological/philosophical/whatever schemas that I don't understand.

You mean we can't have an absolutist, universal, applicable-in-all-circumstances definition of "free speech"? Sad  

It's almost as if you're implying that a concept like "free speech' shouldn't be treated as some abstract legal/constitutional principle that has no regard for actual conditions in society....Tongue

EDIT: Just saw your edit.  Makes sense.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 02:38:34 PM »

What is vile or disrespectful about it?  Nobody ever seems to have an answer as to why a cartoon of Mohammed is offensive whatsoever.  

It's offensive because it incites Islamic hatred for the pure purpose of the provocation of a religious minority. It's offensive because Muslims think it is offensive, vile and disrespectful. This isn't a weird concept to me because I respect the concerns of human beings, even if they're rooted in experiences or theological/philosophical/whatever schemas that I don't understand. Even if I hated Islam (I don't), I would dislike this event because I think that public trolling is undignified garbage that isn't fit for polite society.

In what circumstances do you think it's OK to offend someone's religious views -- is it not OK to question their belief system or how they apply it to public policy or moral decision-making?

(I also think these people are dicks, but the line isn't as clear-cut as "this offends people so it's inappropriate.")
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 02:39:15 PM »

I think you are missing the point here. There are people out there who don't necessarily mind seeing something violent happen if it proves their point.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 02:41:59 PM »

In what circumstances do you think it's OK to offend someone's religious views -- is it not OK to question their belief system or how they apply it to public policy or moral decision-making?

(I also think these people are dicks, but the line isn't as clear-cut as "this offends people so it's inappropriate.")

Don't you think doing gratuitous acts to offend the precepts of another religion is offensive? I mean, it is not the taking of a public policy position that offends someone else's theology, it's doing acts for the sole purpose of being offensive to another religion. Of course, it is, and should be,  protected free speech.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 02:45:34 PM »

This is also blasphemy (from the infamous Der Stuermer, whose editor Julius Streicher was convicted of crimes against humanity for such images that fostered mass hatred of Jews in Hitlerland, and was hanged for such):

Humanity needs stand together against any blanket smear of a religion or its believers.  

Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 02:48:06 PM »

Well maybe those people should grow up and realize that if they want to live in a free modern society they are going to have to tolerate people who disagree with them.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 02:51:06 PM »

I think you are missing the point here. There are people out there who don't necessarily mind seeing something violent happen if it proves their point.

The point is that it doesn't matter, and you bringing it end up, no matter how you mean it, as a defense for the people commiting violence. Are the victims of this violence a bunch of bigoted assholes; yes, but that's not really important, or it stop being important when other people react with violence.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 02:51:30 PM »

This isn't a weird concept to me because I respect the concerns of human beings, even if they're rooted in experiences or theological/philosophical/whatever schemas that I don't understand.

It's good to hear that you respect the rights of religious bakers not to bake cakes for gay marriages and would equally condemn art like the piss Christ that offends Christians.

You know what's offensive to me? Anyone who would shut down free speech because someone might be "offended" by what they hear.  They, and those"offended" need to grow up and realize that there are people who won't always agree with them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies