West Virginia 2008 vs 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:48:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  West Virginia 2008 vs 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: West Virginia 2008 vs 2012  (Read 3311 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 02:17:49 PM »

Did West Virginia residents have a delayed blazing saddles like reaction to the fact that the president was black ?

Oh, come on... please...

Don't you think it's a bit suspicious that West Virginia actually swung Republican, despite there being an incredibly unpopular GOP incumbent and a collapsing economy under him?   

Well, Obama was a really bad fit for the state: A hardcore liberal, pro-choice, anti-coal (that's how many West Virginians saw it) Democrat. This, plus the strong Republican trend of the state and Hillary losing the Democratic Primary, and you get a Republican swing. Race might have played a small role too, but not as big as some here claim. 

All those descriptions of Obama applied to Kerry as well.

Sure, but the number of WV Democrats who voted for a Republican in 2008 was higher than in 2004 because of rage over Hillary's loss in the Primary. This and the strong Republican trend of the state were the reasons why Obama did worse in 2008 than in 2004. However, the state only swung Republican by 0.23%, which is almost negligible. AR in 2008 was much more shocking.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2015, 06:33:21 PM »

Regarding allegations of racism in West Virginia....keep in mind that even in 2012 Obama got a higher percentage of the white vote there than almost anywhere else in the South. If he had done as well with whites in North Carolina as he did in West Virginia, he would've won North Carolina.

It's also relevant how many Democrats (presumably "Dixiecrats") stayed home.  Looking at the exit polls, there were a disproportionately high proportion of the electorate compared to registration statistics.

West Virginia =/= Dixie.

Yeah, it is...

Evidence?

A culturally Southern state that is considered part of the American South that largely follows the political and cultural tendencies of other Southern states ...?

Your arrogance is showing. West Virginia is not a southern state. It's northern area of the state has more in common with Western PA (where I live), and southeastern Ohio . Only Southern WV is "southern culturally" and even then not like AL or MS.

I live outside of Martinsburg, West Virginia. Culturally, this state is very much a part of the South. It has the same anti-government anti-EPA pro-gun pro-coal pro-states' rights beliefs as any other state in the South. And there are Confederate flags everywhere.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2015, 07:37:35 PM »

Regarding allegations of racism in West Virginia....keep in mind that even in 2012 Obama got a higher percentage of the white vote there than almost anywhere else in the South. If he had done as well with whites in North Carolina as he did in West Virginia, he would've won North Carolina.

It's also relevant how many Democrats (presumably "Dixiecrats") stayed home.  Looking at the exit polls, there were a disproportionately high proportion of the electorate compared to registration statistics.

West Virginia =/= Dixie.

Yeah, it is...

Evidence?

A culturally Southern state that is considered part of the American South that largely follows the political and cultural tendencies of other Southern states ...?

Your arrogance is showing. West Virginia is not a southern state. It's northern area of the state has more in common with Western PA (where I live), and southeastern Ohio . Only Southern WV is "southern culturally" and even then not like AL or MS.

I live outside of Martinsburg, West Virginia. Culturally, this state is very much a part of the South. It has the same anti-government anti-EPA pro-gun pro-coal pro-states' rights beliefs as any other state in the South. And there are Confederate flags everywhere.

Yea, but that's because Martinsburg is Eastern Panhandle. The EP makes me seems like a liberal. But, Morgantown, Wheeling, Parkersburg, and Clarksburg/Fairmont don't really feel southern to me.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2015, 10:42:44 PM »

West Virginia =/= Dixie.

Yeah, it is...

Evidence?

Yea, but that's because Martinsburg is Eastern Panhandle. The EP makes me seems like a liberal. But, Morgantown, Wheeling, Parkersburg, and Clarksburg/Fairmont don't really feel southern to me.

Fair enough. It is a geographically tricky state.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2015, 11:28:14 PM »

Is the irony of confederate flags being flown in West Virginia lost on these poor souls?
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2015, 07:20:42 AM »

Is the irony of confederate flags being flown in West Virginia lost on these poor souls?

Haha. You'd be surprised (or maybe not). In my few years here, I've noticed West Virginia is pretty much a wannabe Confederate state. Cheesy
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2015, 10:20:44 AM »

I think it did play a role, just look at some of the exit poll interviews of racist Hillary supporters after the 2008 primary. Granted in the long run coal played a huge role also.

There's your answer right there. Did it ever occur to you that people who voted for Hillary did so because they thought she was the more experienced and qualified candidate? These people had to deal with this kind of crap all throughout the primary: being told that their votes didn't matter unless they voted for The Chosen One, and that any vote against him was done out of racism. Hillary went to West Virginia and listened to their concerns (how many times did Obama campaign in the state). She talked TO them while Obama talked ABOUT them (cue the bitter/clingy comments here). How dare the people of West Virginia vote for a candidate who seemed to care about them as opposed to a candidate who trashed them as backwoods rednecks.

If every vote against Obama in the primary was done out of racism, then every vote against Hillary was done out of sexism.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2015, 11:09:59 AM »

You don't see West Virginia the way I see West Virginia. Coal livelihoods at stake. They aren't going to vote for some newcomer who's goal is to put them out of work.
Hydera

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 04:49:09 PM »

You don't see West Virginia the way I see West Virginia. Coal livelihoods at stake. They aren't going to vote for some newcomer who's goal is to put them out of work.

I wish people would shutup about how 'those people don't know whats in their best interests!!!!' Whether they like it or not. NOT shutting down the coal industry is in their own best interests. There's a reason that they went for Dukakis out of all people in 1988 and not Gore in 2000. Because of the coal industry.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 06:07:36 PM »

I think it did play a role, just look at some of the exit poll interviews of racist Hillary supporters after the 2008 primary. Granted in the long run coal played a huge role also.

There's your answer right there. Did it ever occur to you that people who voted for Hillary did so because they thought she was the more experienced and qualified candidate? These people had to deal with this kind of crap all throughout the primary: being told that their votes didn't matter unless they voted for The Chosen One, and that any vote against him was done out of racism. Hillary went to West Virginia and listened to their concerns (how many times did Obama campaign in the state). She talked TO them while Obama talked ABOUT them (cue the bitter/clingy comments here). How dare the people of West Virginia vote for a candidate who seemed to care about them as opposed to a candidate who trashed them as backwoods rednecks.

If every vote against Obama in the primary was done out of racism, then every vote against Hillary was done out of sexism.

I don't think these people cared much about Hillary's experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-q4MDQ0cDI
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2015, 06:11:40 PM »

I wish people would shutup about how 'those people don't know whats in their best interests!!!!' Whether they like it or not. NOT shutting down the coal industry is in their own best interests. There's a reason that they went for Dukakis out of all people in 1988 and not Gore in 2000. Because of the coal industry.

Fair enough, what's in their best interests isn't in the best interests of their own grandkids or anyone else's for that matter.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 07:20:29 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah - I agree with you, its very degrading. It's gotten to the point of where, at least to me, it insults the electorate.  

I remember when Hillary won West Virginia  in 2008, many people derided Hillary supporters as hicks, rednecks, really insulting and hateful and ignorant.  I have to say, many here in San Francisco take that attitude towards middle America -- and many of them have never even been to West Virginia Cheesy

Like that poster from Missouri said above, one thing that was particularly offensive about the primary there, was that it was assumed Mrs. Clinton won because they were "racists" - as opposed to many there actually liking her, liking the Clintons, the 90s economy etc.

Hydera

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 08:02:10 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah - I agree with you, its very degrading. It's gotten to the point of where, at least to me, it insults the electorate.  

I remember when Hillary won West Virginia  in 2008, many people derided Hillary supporters as hicks, rednecks, really insulting and hateful and ignorant.  I have to say, many here in San Francisco take that attitude towards middle America -- and many of them have never even been to West Virginia Cheesy

Like that poster from Missouri said above, one thing that was particularly offensive about the primary there, was that it was assumed Mrs. Clinton won because they were "racists" - as opposed to many there actually liking her, liking the Clintons, the 90s economy etc.

The Appalachia area while drifting very GOP nowadays.

Actually voted for Clinton back in the 90's.  Plus Bill was Scots-irish just like them so even though arkansas was definitely not by any definition an Appalachian state. His scots-irish roots was quite a pull for many people and they didn't forget that in 2008.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies