Where Can I Watch Election Results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:32:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Where Can I Watch Election Results
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Where Can I Watch Election Results  (Read 6165 times)
CountyTy90
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2015, 08:35:59 PM »

Sorry if this has been done before, but where can I watch election results for the UK election? Would BBC America have coverage of it?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:59:11 PM »

C-SPAN will cover it, I'm sure.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:55:10 PM »

What about Alberta's tomorrow? Will it be somewhere streaming online?
warandwar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 09:57:25 PM »

What about Alberta's tomorrow? Will it be somewhere streaming online?
Go to a crossroads at midnight with a bottle of canola oil and a portrait of Ernest Manning
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:04:56 PM »

CBC will have a livestream for Alberta. No idea about UK.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 10:10:52 PM »

I assume BBC will have a livestream online like they do for the local elections and did for the Scottish referendum last year.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 10:59:14 PM »

In 2010, you could watch the livestream of BBC on the cspan.org website. I assume it'll be the same thing year.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 02:27:43 AM »

The C-Span website has an archive and looking at it for past elections, it will either be simulcast LIVE or on a delay

Election 1987
http://www.c-span.org/video/?172356-1/bbc-election-coverage

Election 1992
http://www.c-span.org/video/?25480-1/british-elections (Kinnock wins in rehearsals)
http://www.c-span.org/video/?25485-1/bbc-british-election-coverage (Actual Results)

Election 1997
http://www.c-span.org/video/?80761-1/british-election-results (Overnight Results)
http://www.c-span.org/video/?80915-1/british-election-results (Change of Government)

Election 2001
http://www.c-span.org/video/?164629-1/british-election-results

Election 2005
http://www.c-span.org/video/?186553-4/2005-british-election (David Dimbleby interviewed during rehearsals)
http://www.c-span.org/video/?186422-1/bbc-election-night-coverage (Overnight coverage, simulcast on C-Span 2)

Election 2010
http://www.c-span.org/video/?293363-1/british-election-results-early-returns (Exit Poll - 0100 BST)
http://www.c-span.org/video/?293363-101/british-election-results-continued-returns (0100 BST - 0600 BST)
http://www.c-span.org/video/?293387-1/british-election-results-late-returns (0600 BST - 0900 BST)
http://www.c-span.org/video/?293387-1/british-election-results-late-returns (Washington's take on Election 2010)
http://www.c-span.org/video/?293387-101/british-election-results-continued-late-returns (Cameron's and Brown's statements)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 05:24:45 AM »

Does Channel 4 stream their coverage online? I want to watch David Mitchell. As long as they are streaming, it should be possible to watch with the Hola app.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 06:07:29 AM »

I'm so glad that Alberta is tonight; I need to eff up my sleeping pattern so I'll be able to stay up on Thursday into Friday morning. Tongue
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 07:13:52 AM »

Does Channel 4 stream their coverage online? I want to watch David Mitchell. As long as they are streaming, it should be possible to watch with the Hola app.

Not sure, Channel 4 does have a on demand service called All 4 so I would suggest that is the first place that you visit.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »

In 2010, you could watch the livestream of BBC on the cspan.org website. I assume it'll be the same thing year.
They aired it live on TV as well. I watched it, in fact.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 02:23:09 PM »

Keep in mind that unlike practically everywhere else, unless they've changed it, the U.K does not release partial election results, but only announces the result when all the polls have have been counted. All the candidates appear on a stage together when the results are announced.  This has made for some amusing television seeing some of the candidates of the Monster Raving Loony Party on the stage.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 04:24:01 PM »

Keep in mind that unlike practically everywhere else, unless they've changed it, the U.K does not release partial election results, but only announces the result when all the polls have have been counted. All the candidates appear on a stage together when the results are announced.  This has made for some amusing television seeing some of the candidates of the Monster Raving Loony Party on the stage.
That is actually what made me fall in love with British politics as I watched the 2010 results Tongue.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 04:25:50 PM »

Nope, it's still the same. A result is "declared" when all the votes cast have been verified, counted and recounted (if need be)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 04:27:30 PM »

Is the UK the only country that does it that way? I wonder why it never caught on (or if it did, why it was eventually replaced) in Canada and Australia, for instance. It definitely makes for great viewing seeing all the candidates stand together, but it can also make watching the results kind of anti-climactic.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »

Is the UK the only country that does it that way? I wonder why it never caught on (or if it did, why it was eventually replaced) in Canada and Australia, for instance. It definitely makes for great viewing seeing all the candidates stand together, but it can also make watching the results kind of anti-climactic.

The UK is indeed the only country in the world to have every election result counted and announced on election night. 

For Australia in particular such a situation would be impossible because of their use of an IRV system and the time it takes to distribute preferences.
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 04:32:00 PM »

The British system does almost always enable the final result of a constituency election to be known, within one or at most two days of the election.

It would be nice to have official vote totals for each polling district (the smallest geographical area into which constituencies are divided - there are usually one or more per local government ward, which are the usual building blocks for the constituencies at least in  England). However no one seems to want such a system, which is surprising since all parties would benefit from having the additional information.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »

France doesn't do 'declarations' like the UK, but usually the only official communication of results comes when the entire jurisdiction (commune then département) has reported its final results. However, France does count its votes by polling location, but the central government never makes them public (sometimes the commune will publicize them).
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 08:43:13 PM »

Out of curiosity, if the UK switched to AV plus would they have had to do away with count announcements described above?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 08:47:09 PM »

Alberta CBC feed here.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 09:30:02 PM »

The UK is indeed the only country in the world to have every election result counted and announced on election night. 
*cough* Ahem...
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 10:29:41 PM »

Out of curiosity, if the UK switched to AV plus would they have had to do away with count announcements described above?

Most certainly.

*cough* Ahem...

Well seeing as France has a two-round system it isn't a great comparison.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 10:32:45 PM »

Most certainly.

*cough* Ahem...

Well, still, every election result is counted and announced on election night. Generally within no more than 4 hours of the last polls closing.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 10:35:37 PM »

Most certainly.

*cough* Ahem...

Well, still, every election result is counted and announced on election night. Generally within no more than 4 hours of the last polls closing.

Admittedly, I haven't watched a French election night for Parliament before, but it's good to know in the future! Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies