Confirmation hearing: Emsworth for SecDef (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:59:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation hearing: Emsworth for SecDef (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation hearing: Emsworth for SecDef  (Read 5172 times)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: May 02, 2005, 03:08:20 PM »

Would the nominee care to discuss his take on Diplomatic Mission Bill and the Nuclear Restriction Act?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 11:02:02 PM »

Mr. Emsworth, if you were a dog, what kind of dog would you be, and why?

P.S.  I would advise you to be very careful in addressing this question.

I remind the Senator that unless it is his intention to filibuster the said nominee, that the more questions he asks, the longer it takes to vote.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 09:14:18 PM »

Despite the distinguished gentlemens line of questioning and comments regarding the nominee, I do not believe there is sufficient evidence that warrants a nay vote. However, I do not like that all nominees recieve an automatic rubberstamped 10-0 confirmation hearing. Therefore, I have to thank the gentlemen from PA and Fmr. Sec. Ford for his questioning, care, and comments regarding the Defense Dept. Therefore am I inclined to vote....

Aye

on Emsworth for Secretary of Defense.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 05:49:22 PM »

Am I to understand, therefore, that you are against humanitarian interventions?
Personally, I believe that the lives of soldiers should, in most cases, be risked only in the defense of Atlasia. In certain circumstances, humanitarian missions are justified. My definition of humanitarian causes, however, is not so broad as to encompass - for example - freeing individuals from dictatorships.

But mine is. Sorry, Emsworth - nothing personal, just an ideological difference with lil' ol' neoconservative me. Wink

*edit*
Abstain. I have my reasons. Wink
*edit*

Don't you have to wait till the vote is over to change your vote?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 08:39:01 PM »

Am I to understand, therefore, that you are against humanitarian interventions?
Personally, I believe that the lives of soldiers should, in most cases, be risked only in the defense of Atlasia. In certain circumstances, humanitarian missions are justified. My definition of humanitarian causes, however, is not so broad as to encompass - for example - freeing individuals from dictatorships.

But mine is. Sorry, Emsworth - nothing personal, just an ideological difference with lil' ol' neoconservative me. Wink

*edit*
Abstain. I have my reasons. Wink
*edit*

Don't you have to wait till the vote is over to change your vote?

Let's see what the latest statute says:
R.6

Senate Procedural Resolution on the Changing of Votes

§ 1. Until a piece of legislation has garnered enough votes either in favor or against to have it either pass or fail, no senator shall be prohibited from changing his or her vote on the legislation.

§ 2. Following the garnering of enough votes to either pass or fail, the President Pro Tempore shall announce this fact; following this announcement, all senators shall have twenty-four hours during which they shall not be prohibited from changing their votes on the legislation.

§ 3. Following the expiration of twenty-four hours after the announcement, the vote total at that moment shall be declared to be final and shall be applied to the legislation. All senators shall be prohibited from changing their votes on the legislation after this time.

Nope, it looks like it's OK. Wink

Awesome. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies