Confirmation hearing: Emsworth for SecDef (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:04:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation hearing: Emsworth for SecDef (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation hearing: Emsworth for SecDef  (Read 5173 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« on: May 01, 2005, 06:32:22 PM »

Emsworth, do you have any experience with the military or with military/war operations? How would you rate your knowledge on the military?
Although I do not have any personal experience in the military, I feel that I have reasonable knowledge about the military. I am not extremely familiar with military tactics; however, I think that military strategy would be my forte.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 07:47:11 PM »

What is your knowledge of the Atlasian military?
I believe that there are 14 Army Divisions and 6 Marine Divisions. There is also an Army reserve of more than 1 million soldiers. Furthermore, the Navy possesses over 300 warships, and the Air Force 2000 aircraft. Certain forces have been raised at the state or regional levels as well.

The Department of Defense is currently spending $4.5 billion on developing a naval version of the F-35 and on the naval version of the F-22. Furthermore, $1 billion is being spent annually on missile defense.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
As a result of bills passed by the Fifth Senate, the Atlasian military has increased by two divisions. Thus, it is, at present, not overstretched. Therefore, I will not recommend the creation of any additional divisions at this time. However, I will not suggest any cuts, either, as the forces were definitely overstretched prior to the creation of these divisions. If, however, a civil war occurs, a rise in the military budget will become necessary.

I do think that the Defense Department needs to rearrange its priorities. Currently, the missile defense budget is less than one-fourth of the budget on aircraft development. I favor a reduction in the aircraft development budget, with the money saved being diverted to missile defense, which, I feel, should be a far greater priority.

Of course, I would like to be of service to the People of Atlasia. On a personal level, however, I would like this job because of my interest in wars and military history.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 09:01:20 PM »

What, exactly, will be your policy regarding the Navy of Atlasia.  If a Senator were to, say, propose a bill to increase the carrier fleet by one or two ships within the next 6 years (6 months Atlasia time), would you support such a measure?
Currently, as you may know, Atlasia has 12 aircraft carriers, and at least one more is under construction. Only eight other countries own active aircraft carriers: the UK (3), India (2), Brazil (1), France (1), Italy (1), Russia (1), Spain (1), and Thailand (1). Thus, at present, Atlasia controls a majority of aircraft carriers in the world. Consequently, I do not believe that a large expansion of the carrier fleet would be necessary, in and of itself.

However, Kitty Hawk is set to be retired in two years. Furthermore, John F. Kennedy is a very old aircraft carrier. As I mentioned earlier, one aircraft carrier is currently under construction; I would support the construction of one further carrier, so that both carriers aforementioned could be replaced. Obviously, of course, budgetary considerations would need to be taken into account before the Administration could back such a proposal.

In general, the Atlasian Navy is the largest and most powerful in the world. Therefore, I do not see a need for a general expansion the Navy, although some increases are necessary in the number of submarines.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 05:18:59 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2005, 05:41:01 AM by Emsworth »

Will it always be your policy to compare our forces to those of other nations, or will you acctually seek to obtain maximum effectivness and readiness for our own nation?
I will not make my decisions solely on the basis of comparisons. However, the military of Atlasia does not exist in a vacuum. I judge effectiveness not by the mere number of troops or ships, but by how well the military would do in actual combat. If there is no other nation that could match the military, there is simply no need for a great expansion in the military budget. At present, there is no other navy in the world that rivals that of Atlasia. Therefore, I see no need to conduct a significant expansion of naval forces.

If my previous answer suggested that I would make decisions on the basis of numerical comparisons, then I do certainly apologize, as I had no intention whatsoever of conveying such an impression.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 02:01:52 PM »

Tell me, Mr. Emsworth, do you believe that Atlasia will be, in the coming years, commited to more small and medium scale military operations, as part of the War on Terror?
As long as Atlasia remains in Iraq and Afghanistan, it will have to conduct military operations in those countries. We will of course attempt to train and equip local troops; however, it would be unrealistic if I were to expect that the Atlasian military's involvement would suddenly come to an end.  Therefore, I would respond in the affirmative: we will be committed to more small and medium scale operations.

I suspect that large-scale involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan will be coming to a close. I cannot claim to know if Atlasia will invade or conduct military operations in other countries, such as Iran or Syria. It would not be my place to comment on the likelihood of such events; any new wars would require not only the approval of the President, but also the agreement of the Senate. However, the Army does presently have 14 divisions, and is not overstretched. Therefore, if any large-scale operations were to become necessary, the army would be able to cope.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 03:04:02 PM »

Do you see it as possible, in the near future, that Atlasia will be involved in military operation where there does not exist readily based combat air support?
Although possible, the event is not probable. It would appear that several sponsors of terrorism are in the Middle East. Although I do not wish to generalize, it is highly likely that an anti-terrorism war would involve a nation such as Iran or Syria. Outside the Middle East, North Korea and Sudan seem to be the only other plausible possible targets. I am confident that the current twleve carriers, as well as the one under construction, will be able to handle these two regions, as well as others.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 03:22:24 PM »

Would the nominee care to discuss his take on Diplomatic Mission Bill and the Nuclear Restriction Act?
With pleasure. I absolutely favor the Nuclear Restriction Bill's prohibition on the sale of nuclear weapons or technology to nations that are not Atlasia's allies. The bill did originally prohibit such sales to friendly nations as well, but there has been an amendment to correct this problem. Therefore, I support the bill, although I think that it can be improved by providing rough guidelines for the Secretary of State to use in imposing military restrictions.

It is probably not my place to comment on the Diplomatic Mission Bill, but, I can say in an unofficial capacity that I am rather hesitant. Under the present system, Atlasia simulates the real United States and American foreign relations. Diplomatic relations with other micronations would put a different complexion on the underlying basis of the game. I have an open mind about the issue; however, I am not yet completely convinced that such a change is warranted.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 04:21:59 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2005, 04:24:18 PM by Emsworth »

I would encourage you to take another look at this problem, as most military experts would recomend an increase in the carrier fleet, as the status quo might not be enough to maintain effective opperations throughout the world.
I will certainly implement your suggestion.

If the Senator finds the comparison inappropriate, then I do apologize for my lack of expertise.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 04:36:53 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2005, 04:38:28 PM by Emsworth »

As I see Atlasia being more involved in such operations in the future...
To add to my previous post, I think that we have a slight difference of opinion here. I believe that if Atlasia were to restrict itself to wars of self-defense, it appears unlikely that too many new operations would ensue.

Moreover, a proposed expansion in the carrier fleet would have to be balanced against budgetary concerns. As you of course know, we face a large deficit at this time. Budgetary concerns were among the reasons for which I did not indicate complete support for the proposal.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 04:53:26 PM »

Am I to understand, therefore, that you are against humanitarian interventions?
Personally, I believe that the lives of soldiers should, in most cases, be risked only in the defense of Atlasia. In certain circumstances, humanitarian missions are justified. My definition of humanitarian causes, however, is not so broad as to encompass - for example - freeing individuals from dictatorships.

Moreover, I would note that I strongly support pursuing all reasonable diplomatic avenues before going to war.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 05:17:34 PM »

With all due respect, the war in Afghanistan was heavily sustained by carriers operating in support of gorund forces.
I never indicated anything to the contrary. I merely suggested that the budget deficit should be weighed against extending military spending.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 06:46:51 PM »

Well, I understand that, and I don't totally object, but it worries me a little that you characterized the mission of the Navy the way you did.  If you'd like to clarify, I'm more than willing to write it off as a misunderstanding.
I wished only to indicate my belief that the primary mission of the entire Atlasian military should be to protect the people of Atlasia. Humanitarian actions are also justified. However, "humanitarianism" does not mean that we should go about arbitrarily changing regimes across the world. This applies not just to the Navy, but also to the other components of the military.

I think that my statement on humanitarian missions is the one you wished me to clarify. If not, however, I am indeed sorry; I shall endeavor to clarify any other statement you desire.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 07:44:50 PM »

I'd like to know what your policy on Chinese aggression on Taiwan and what you would support if China launched an attack to regain Taiwan?
Firstly, I would like to note that this decision really rests with the President and State Department. Whether the U.S. would support Taiwan or not would be primarily a matter of foreign policy, not of defense policy. There are a variety of diplomatic problems; Atlasia is technically supportive of the One China Policy, and currently recognizes the People's Republic of China, not the Republic of China.

That said, I support the continuance of the military aid currently being supplied to Taiwan, as voted by the Senate. The containment of the Chinese power is in Atlasia's national interests. In principle, I think that Atlasia should do all that is necessary to protect Taiwan, and thereby defend Atlasian national interests. I cannot commit to supporting military action, or to opposing it, in the case of actual Chinese aggression. However, I can say that the military action will definitely be considered very carefully, especially if the diplomatic channels are blocked.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2005, 05:04:29 AM »

I think that this is a very important question Senator.  What type of dog he chooses says a lot about this charecter.
Senator, if you would like to find out about my character, then I would respectfully request you to pose a somewhat more direct question, rather than the circumlocutous one above, which would inolve numerous, and greatly differing, metaphorical interpretations of the same species.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005, 03:23:51 PM »

I think that this is a very important question Senator.  What type of dog he chooses says a lot about this charecter.
Senator, if you would like to find out about my character, then I would respectfully request you to pose a somewhat more direct question, rather than the circumlocutous one above, which would inolve numerous, and greatly differing, metaphorical interpretations of the same species.
Oh, come on.  Just humor me.
Since you insist, I should like to be the top dog.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005, 05:24:25 PM »

I would first like to note my objection to the question. It would, however, be indecorous of me to continue to refuse to answer the question. I should not at all like to be a dog, but, if you must have an answer, then one shall be compelled to respond: sheepdog.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005, 05:40:55 PM »

It is associated with the defense of sheep, is intelligent, and can adapt well. An Old English Sheepdog would be my specific choice, for the same reasons.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2005, 06:04:54 PM »

If my fellow Senators will allow me, I will now read from the Erie, PA phone book, so that my fellow Senators might know the names of the people their vote will have an effect on.
In my naïveté, I thought that you would filibuster somewhat more creatively, for instance by listing the names of warships. But alas, it seems that I was mistaken...
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005, 09:08:15 PM »

Some might say that this is nobel, but I say that it would be a dishonest farce.
Senator, I would respectfully request you not to impute improper motives to me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies