The Producers!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:50:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Producers!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The Producers.  What's it to you?
FF

HP

Well, after all, Hitler was Hitler!

Well, true, but this is fabulous!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: The Producers!  (Read 532 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2015, 07:21:56 PM »

Finally got a break from all the end-of-semester stuff and was able to relax tonight.  I was cruising the upper channels today and stumbled upon "The Producers" (2005 version) on HBO.  I'd heard of it but I'd never seen it.  I'm not a huge Mel Brooks fan, but actually, this is pretty good.  Kitschy, but funny.

Anybody seen it?

Yes, Torie, there are a couple of options just for you.  Kiss 
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 07:23:31 PM »

The wilder/mostrel one is excellent.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:33:10 PM »

I love the original version.  I don't understand making a movie version of the theatrical version of a movie. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 07:35:33 PM »

I love the original version.  I don't understand making a movie version of the theatrical version of a movie. 

That's the whole Mel Brooks psychology.  I said I'm not a big fan, but I have to admit that I've enjoyed a number of his works.  They're all bizarre in some way.  By the way, I think he just made a cameo appearance in this one (as a one-line chorus singer in Springtime for Hitler.)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 07:43:37 PM »

Both the Mel Brooks Version and the 2005 version were brilliant humor, if in poor taste. Still, the only people who would likely be offended are Nazis and Jews who don't have a sense of humor (which make up less than 10% of the Jewish population worldwide).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 07:46:34 PM »

the only people who would likely be offended are Nazis and Jews who don't have a sense of humor

...and, quite possibly, a very small subset of the various potsmoking, Republican, homosexual, anti-Nazi, goyim attorneys who moderate the boards of this forum.  Wink
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:27:05 PM »

That's the whole Mel Brooks psychology.  I said I'm not a big fan, but I have to admit that I've enjoyed a number of his works.  They're all bizarre in some way.  By the way, I think he just made a cameo appearance in this one (as a one-line chorus singer in Springtime for Hitler.)

Weird.  The Producers, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are all amazing.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 08:56:29 PM »

I've seen Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.  Enjoyed the latter immensely.  I also like Silent Movie as well as History of the World.  There's probably some deep pathology of Mel Brooks that could fill tens (or hundreds) of psych students' dissertations. 

The gap is that I haven't actually ever watched the original Producers.  I'm intrigued, though, and I think I shall make it a point to watch it.

Also, I shall make it a point to post any and all irreverent references to Adolf Hitler and make it a point to mention Torie in all posts thereunto appertaining.  His own pathology is probably as interesting as Mel Brooks, albeit not quite as interesting.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 09:20:57 PM »

Speaking of Brooks, he recently talked about the possibility of making Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money:

http://www.slashfilm.com/mel-brooks-teases-spaceballs-2-the-search-for-more-money/
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 08:49:14 PM »

Follow-up:  I just watched the Producers (1967 version) on AMC.  OR was it TNT?  It's the one where that old, gay dude with white hair always introduces movies.  Osborne, I think is his name.  Anyway, it was captivating.  Not sure why I'd never seen it before.  It was made the year I was born. 

And I agree it was the better version.  Not because of Nathan Lane, whom I think played a superb Bialystock, but more because of the supporting cast.  The originals were not shy, and the slapstick was well done.

Also, was that Mel Brooks in the chorus with the line, "Don't be stupid, be a smarty..."  I think it might have been Mel Brooks but it went by so quickly it was hard to tell.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 08:53:10 PM »

Excellent, and definitely the perfect gateway to understanding bad movies that one can't help but love just for effort [No, not the movie itself, the movie in the story]

Spaceballs is still my favorite of Brooks though.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 09:08:52 PM »

The original and the play are great, but the 2005 film was dumb.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies