What's going to happen with the Alberta tar sands now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:13:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What's going to happen with the Alberta tar sands now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's going to happen with the Alberta tar sands now?  (Read 384 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2015, 11:25:20 PM »

The Alberta tar sands are probably the biggest target of environmentalist criticism now, and with very good reason....so I have to admit the NDP is now in a bit of an awkward position. Have they made any statements? Is going to be interesting to see what develops.

The market definitely had a reaction though: http://business.financialpost.com/investing/tsx-tumbles-after-ndp-victory-in-alberta
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:30:47 PM »

Position seems to be than they will support industry, but likely with tighter environmental rules and perhaps a raise in the royalties they give to government.

Pipelines should continue too, except the project "Northern Gateway" to send petroleum to ports of Northern British Columbia, which NDP clearly opposed (but, really, most people thought it wouldn't work anyways, as Natives are fighting through courts and sabotage to block it and British Columbia has unrealistic conditions to let it pass through the province (I think they want like half the profits or something like that, obviously, they just want to block it without saying so)).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 06:16:56 AM »

I agree with MaxQue. Regulation will increase somewhat, but the NDP won't do anything major because that would be asking to be booted back to 4th place.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies