Labour Party leadership election 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:37:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party leadership election 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58
Author Topic: Labour Party leadership election 2015  (Read 139706 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: September 15, 2015, 05:22:35 AM »

The Clintons have shook hands with Tony Blair; Tony Blair once led a party that sings 'The Red Flag' at its annual conferences.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #1376 on: September 15, 2015, 05:37:57 AM »

They mean the Great Offices of State - the shadows of the the Chancellor of the Exchequor, the Home Secretary and the Foreign Secretary (the three most powerful and senior members of the cabinet aside from the drop dog himself) are all male.

I know this may be old fashioned but shouldn't people focus on whether or not those members of the shadow cabinet are up to the task rather what they have between their legs?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1377 on: September 15, 2015, 07:16:17 AM »

They mean the Great Offices of State - the shadows of the the Chancellor of the Exchequor, the Home Secretary and the Foreign Secretary (the three most powerful and senior members of the cabinet aside from the drop dog himself) are all male.

I know this may be old fashioned but shouldn't people focus on whether or not those members of the shadow cabinet are up to the task rather what they have between their legs?

Well, the party elections gave 3 males the top jobs- Leader, Deputy and Mayor when arguably the female candidates were more qualified (not that experience means anything in British Politics tbh)

IMO they have women who have virtually no talent cabinet jobs (Powell) and women with talent either small time jobs or no jobs at all. Giving Angela Eagle first secretary of state (it's a weird office that's like Vice President but it's not) reeks of desperation. Basically it's been a crap week to be a qualified women in the Labour Party
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1378 on: September 15, 2015, 08:48:19 AM »

Interesting the way Corbyn applauded the audience at the TUC conference today who were applauding him politburo communist style.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1379 on: September 15, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »

People normally like the government to be representative of the nation as a whole. Much like he'd raise eyebrows if he only appointed people from London to his cabinet, having a severe deviation of women from 50% would be unrepresentative.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1380 on: September 15, 2015, 09:33:04 AM »

Gaps between post-war Labour and Tory leaders' first elections to Parliament and becoming leader:

Corbyn - 32 years
Miliband - 5 years
Brown - 24 years
Blair - 11 years
Smith - 22 years
Kinnock - 13 years
Foot - 35 years
Callaghan - 31 years
Wilson - 18 years
Gaitskell - 10 years
Attlee - 13 years

Cameron - 4 years
Howard - 20 years
IDS - 9 years
Hague - 8 years
Major - 11 years
Thatcher - 16 years
Heath - 15 years
Douglas-Home - 33 years
Macmillan - 33 years
Eden - 32 years
Churchill - 40 years

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1381 on: September 15, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »

Trend with good PM's is that funnily enough the younger, less experienced one's do better. Whilst experienced crown princes like Callaghan, Eden and Brown struggle
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1382 on: September 15, 2015, 11:48:17 AM »

Interesting the way Corbyn applauded the audience at the TUC conference today who were applauding him politburo communist style.

Interesting how Corbyn's speech was followed by a performance of "The Red Detachment of Women" and how he declared a "Hundred Flowers Campaign" politburo communist style.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1383 on: September 15, 2015, 12:37:13 PM »

Of course the idea that The Great Offices Of State are the only posts that really matter is itself a rather old fashioned (can we say Victorian? I'm going to say Victorian) attitude and not one that makes any sense within a Labour Party context.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1384 on: September 15, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »

And yes I get that a lot of people don't like Lucy Powell much, but can we seriously argue that she's a step down from the Shadow Education Secretaries in the last Parliament? Come on...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1385 on: September 15, 2015, 01:09:32 PM »

Well I have some affection for Twiggy - he's a local boy, went to my primary school in fact. And T Hunt was a marvellous piece of satire, I assume by some method comedian.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
« Reply #1386 on: September 15, 2015, 01:55:48 PM »

Well I have some affection for Twiggy - he's a local boy, went to my primary school in fact. And T Hunt was a marvellous piece of satire, I assume by some method comedian.

Satire because he's posh?

Why wasn't the same attitude prevalent towards Anthony Wedgwood Benn who's father was a Liberal MP and who grandfather was Sir John Benn, 1st Baronet?

Or is it more to do with his name being Tristram?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1387 on: September 15, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »

Yes, the name. And he is a very, erm, tin-eared politician even moreso than Kendall (who I eventually grew fond of, purely because of how terribly lousy her campaign was) and Ummuna.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1388 on: September 15, 2015, 02:00:20 PM »

Don't forget the impression that he gave, i.e. that before being appointed to the post he had never so much as set foot in a comprehensive school. Which is... not... ideal for a Labour education spokesman. He's not without his talents but it became clear really quickly that he was not suited to that role...
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1389 on: September 15, 2015, 04:07:58 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11867337/Jeremy-Corbyn-disloyal-national-anthem-Labour-leader.html

Even if there is a campaign against him, he's not exactly making it harder for his opponents...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1390 on: September 15, 2015, 04:11:33 PM »

corbyn's best hope is doing a Trump. Break all the established "rules" of politicking and see how things go from there.

Anyway, I don't blame him for not singing the anthem, which is infamously a lousy dirge. There is only one good part of GStQ, and that's the duhduhDUHDUH crescendo before SEND! HER! VIC! TORIOUS!
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1391 on: September 15, 2015, 04:15:15 PM »

corbyn's best hope is doing a Trump. Break all the established "rules" of politicking and see how things go from there.

Anyway, I don't blame him for not singing the anthem, which is infamously a lousy dirge. There is only one good part of GStQ, and that's the duhduhDUHDUH crescendo before SEND! HER! VIC! TORIOUS!

What about the second half of:

"Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King."

Quite feisty. They could update it with some SNP references.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1392 on: September 15, 2015, 04:16:51 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

IS THIS THE MAN YOU WANT AS PRIME MINISTER?!?!?!?!?
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
« Reply #1393 on: September 15, 2015, 04:50:25 PM »

He's a republican isn't he?

That being the case I actually think he'd be hypocritical singing the anthem.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1394 on: September 15, 2015, 05:07:47 PM »

"Mr Corbyn wore a mismatched suit and the top button on his shirt appeared to be undone."

Yup; it's the Torygraph.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1395 on: September 15, 2015, 05:45:25 PM »

I wasn't even aware that there was ever an expectation to sing the national anthem. That's the sort of thing that foreigners do, surely? This isn't France or America or wherever.

But yes the media will do a full Foot on him. It's going to be pretty relentless.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1396 on: September 15, 2015, 06:16:13 PM »

Obviously God Save the Queen is one of the worst anthems in the world, and any self-respecting human being should refuse to sing it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1397 on: September 15, 2015, 06:22:48 PM »

This sh[inks] is just needlessly confrontational. If Corbyn is going to purposefully act like an internet troll and refuse to follow basic protocols then he has no one but himself to blame when he's called out on it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1398 on: September 15, 2015, 06:25:17 PM »

This sh[inks] is just needlessly confrontational. If Corbyn is going to purposefully act like an internet troll and refuse to follow basic protocols then he has no one but himself to blame when he's called out on it.

Says the guy with Donald Trump in his username and sig. Can't make that stuff up.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1399 on: September 15, 2015, 06:33:39 PM »

This isn't America; most people don't even know the correct order of the words in the national anthem here ffs. And on those rare occasions when people are in a situation when they are told to 'all rise etc' proudly belting out the words is not actually normal.

I agree that politically it would make sense to adhere to functionally non-existent 'protocol' (although doing so would probably result in attacks as well: ooh was he looking sarcastic when he did that, etc) but lets not pretend that this sh!t isn't hypocritically enforced.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies