Labour Party leadership election 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:19:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party leadership election 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 58
Author Topic: Labour Party leadership election 2015  (Read 139492 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: August 01, 2015, 03:53:08 PM »

Personally, I don't know what's worse for the party; Corbyn winning or Corbyn losing.

Corbyn winning would at least make politics extremely interesting for Labour, as it tries to work out just what to do. I've heard from someone in the party that David Miliband is making open noises about trying to find a safe seat he can parachute into
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #601 on: August 01, 2015, 04:54:43 PM »

Let's hope the tories don't see this

I always thought he just wanted to talk to Hamas, but calling them a force for 'social justice' takes it a bit too far in my view
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #602 on: August 01, 2015, 06:25:16 PM »

I think I've become freakishly optimistic. I'm hoping Corbyn can utilise his support to help the party as a whole, while the leadership is given to a soft left pair of hands.

It's worth noting that the driving issues behind previous bouts of really vicious factionalism in Labour have invariably been over foreign and defence policy. Debates about other things have generally been less toxic even when there have been sharp differences (and sometimes when they haven't been it was - partly - because they were linked to those more contentious issues: this was the case with the rows over Clause IV in the early 1960s).* So... to strike a cautiously - and quite possibly probably unduly, who knows - optimistic note, I would draw attention to the fact that Corbyn is not running on his (very very left-wing) stances on foreign and defence policy and has even tried to play them down at times during the campaign. And this is the case with the wider (newly energised) Labour Left as well, particularly at the younger end of it. Which might (maybe, hopefully, God willing) mean that any oncoming factional brutality - because there's going to be at least a little bit no matter what happens - is less extensive than has been the case in the past.

*And also, bluntly, most ordinary Labour Moderates have not historically been/are not now exactly what you'd call centrist on social policy or economics... even the opposition to widespread nationalisation which spread out from the PLP into the Right elements of the CLPs was a matter of practical politics.

I know finding faux global trends is the mark of a true pseudo intellectual, but it is interesting to compare similar movements made by the Sanders campaign and even Syriza/Podemos. The modern left seems to eschew foreign policy entirely. Odd.

It seems that much of the Trad Right are greater fans of central planning than the soft left. Is the Trad Right just a group of people who love unions and nuclea bombs?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #603 on: August 01, 2015, 06:29:27 PM »

I always thought he just wanted to talk to Hamas, but calling them a force for 'social justice' takes it a bit too far in my view

Damn, that's f***** crazy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #604 on: August 01, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »

...whilst the membership has become more left wing due to Ed pushing the party to the left and also labour becoming the opposition.

Well it's a bit more complicated than that: what happened in the early 1970s (i.e. sudden growth of the Left as a result of a Conservative government presiding over - imposing some (and that certainly includes these people) would argue - attacks on living standards) is pretty clearly happening again. I did wonder (back in 2010) whether it might do, but had started to assume that the answer was negative as it didn't seem to be happening: apparently the key word is sudden.

Important note for everyone: ballot papers aren't sent out until the middle of the month and voting continues well into September. In certain respects the contest is only just beginning.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #605 on: August 01, 2015, 06:34:38 PM »

I think I've become freakishly optimistic. I'm hoping Corbyn can utilise his support to help the party as a whole, while the leadership is given to a soft left pair of hands.

It's worth noting that the driving issues behind previous bouts of really vicious factionalism in Labour have invariably been over foreign and defence policy. Debates about other things have generally been less toxic even when there have been sharp differences (and sometimes when they haven't been it was - partly - because they were linked to those more contentious issues: this was the case with the rows over Clause IV in the early 1960s).* So... to strike a cautiously - and quite possibly probably unduly, who knows - optimistic note, I would draw attention to the fact that Corbyn is not running on his (very very left-wing) stances on foreign and defence policy and has even tried to play them down at times during the campaign. And this is the case with the wider (newly energised) Labour Left as well, particularly at the younger end of it. Which might (maybe, hopefully, God willing) mean that any oncoming factional brutality - because there's going to be at least a little bit no matter what happens - is less extensive than has been the case in the past.

*And also, bluntly, most ordinary Labour Moderates have not historically been/are not now exactly what you'd call centrist on social policy or economics... even the opposition to widespread nationalisation which spread out from the PLP into the Right elements of the CLPs was a matter of practical politics.

I know finding faux global trends is the mark of a true pseudo intellectual, but it is interesting to compare similar movements made by the Sanders campaign and even Syriza/Podemos. The modern left seems to eschew foreign policy entirely. Odd.

It seems that much of the Trad Right are greater fans of central planning than the soft left. Is the Trad Right just a group of people who love unions and nuclea bombs?

Sanders is actually way to the right of Corbyn. For one, as we recently learned, Sanders is far less supportive of immigration. He also has a much more mainstream view of military issues, having backed intervention in Kosovo, hypothetical intervention in Rwanda, and supported the initial invasion of Afghanistan. Also, guns.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #606 on: August 01, 2015, 06:47:56 PM »

If he wins (and it is still very much an 'if') then maybe that is how it will be. Against that it can be noted that Corbyn has no experience of political responsibility or of dealing with political pressure. On the bright side, that means that if he were to self-destruct messily as Leader it would happen long before the General Election.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would like to resent that charge, but it isn't an entirely unfair characterisation in some cases. But generally its more a matter of believing very strongly that pragmatism is important.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #607 on: August 01, 2015, 07:55:51 PM »

Question for you all: do you still think nationalising "the commanding heights of industry" was a good idea in retrospect?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #608 on: August 02, 2015, 02:23:17 AM »

Though he actually tells a half-joke at one point in the video; one of the criticisms so far has been that he is humourless.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #609 on: August 02, 2015, 11:49:42 AM »

Though he actually tells a half-joke at one point in the video; one of the criticisms so far has been that he is humourless.

Not sure if he's calling Hamas itself a force for social justice or the group of parlimentarians present instead.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #610 on: August 02, 2015, 11:52:56 AM »

Not sure if he's calling Hamas itself a force for social justice or the group of parlimentarians present instead.

Haha. Justify much?
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #611 on: August 02, 2015, 11:58:45 AM »

Question for you all: do you still think nationalising "the commanding heights of industry" was a good idea in retrospect?

There's a case for the railways and utilities being in the public sector but by the late 1970's there was a lot more of the British economy that was nationalised. A lot of it was very badly run (British Leyland, British Steel, British Telecom, Sealink) and lost a lot taxpayers money year after year.

It's worth noting that when most of these things were privatised in the 1980's they weren't terribly missed by the public and the quality of service the newly privatised companies provided was superior.

A couple (British Gas and British Petroleum) were profitable so would probably have been better staying in the public sector.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #612 on: August 02, 2015, 12:14:44 PM »

As my MP noted the problem with nationalization is that the tories would instantly undo a lot of good work, I know it's a weak case but if Blair/Brown did take the railway into public hands (Something IMO they should have done in 1997) then the tories would have most likely sold it off in 2010 at a cut price (As they've done with royal mail)   
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #613 on: August 02, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »

Sickening. This guy is officially nuts.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #614 on: August 02, 2015, 01:20:29 PM »

Sickening. This guy is officially nuts.

As I've said like 10 times Corbyn's problem imo isn't his economic views but rather his history of saying rather controversial views. Plus the fact that he's rebelled about 100 times and supported George Galloway when he beat a labour MP (Galloway is the definition of scum)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #615 on: August 02, 2015, 01:25:53 PM »

If I disobeyed orders as often as Corbyn has, I'd be out of a job.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #616 on: August 02, 2015, 05:44:49 PM »

Neil Kinnock has endorsed Burnham.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #617 on: August 02, 2015, 05:55:56 PM »

Logical. How is his status among the members today?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #618 on: August 02, 2015, 05:56:36 PM »

Logical. How is his status among the members today?

Respected Party elder.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #619 on: August 03, 2015, 01:29:45 PM »

Despite being silly season the race seems to be hotting up. The 3 moderates seem to be trying to zero in on Corbyn with Shadow Chancellor Leslie writing a rather good piece about how Corbyn's whole economic policy is based on printing money for investment on the principle that we did it in 2009, and muh deflation.

Burnham appears to be trying to fight back, he got Kinnock's endorsement along with Abby, and the release of his manifesto this week. He most likely is trying to get that 20% who haven't worked out who to vote for yet. I've seen some claim that Corbyn is facing an establishment coup re Scottish referendum
warandwar
United States

« Reply #620 on: August 03, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »

If I disobeyed orders as often as Corbyn has, I'd be out of a job.

So? Why does that matter in this context?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #621 on: August 03, 2015, 05:37:33 PM »

Any word on his son? I remember be nominated(endorsed?) that nobody chick who dropped out after not enough people nominated her.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #622 on: August 03, 2015, 05:40:41 PM »

Any word on his son? I remember be nominated(endorsed?) that nobody chick who dropped out after not enough people nominated her.

He's backing Cooper. He's at least a couple of notches to the right of his dad, of course.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #623 on: August 03, 2015, 05:42:28 PM »

Haha. Justify much?

The group of parlimentarians present weren't part of Hamas, according to the video.

Besides I don't think it's entirely inaccurate to call Hezbollah a force for social justice, in that, as an organization, it exists to empower Lebanese Shiites. I think in this context it's important to distinguish the military and political wings of the two organizations.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #624 on: August 03, 2015, 05:51:22 PM »

I'm sure that explaining such matters to bemused voters on the doorstep will be great fun.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies