Labour Party leadership election 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:06:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party leadership election 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Labour Party leadership election 2015  (Read 139701 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« on: August 10, 2015, 06:43:03 PM »

I cannot believe that the LABs are actually going to vote in Corbyn.  I guess defeat is a chance to try out a more pure principled leader like William Hague for the CONs after 1997.  Of course the result will be equally bad.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 08:36:54 AM »

Well 2015 been's the first election year I've actually followed (General Elections are the only ones that count IMO) and it's going to be pretty crap if we have Labour getting crushed at the may election losing their Shadow Chancellor and Foreign Secretary, and then going on to elect someone who is going to be the worse leader since well ever. 

Tony Blair resigns and is replaced by:

Gordon Brown who is more to the left of Blair... who goes on to lose... who is then replaced by:

Ed Miliband who is more to the left of Brown... who goes on to lose... who is then replaced by:

Jeremy Corbyn who is more to the left of Miliband... who goes on to...

You can guess the rest I think Wink

Obviously Brown was only very moderately more to the left of Blair but he was a more traditional tax and spend Labour right winger than "Third Way" Blair ever was.

I would only quibble with the Blair->Brown part.  I think even if Blair led LAB in 2010 LAB would still have lost, mostly likely by greater margins.  The internal civil war inside LAB if Blair stayed on would have guaranteed defeat no matter what.  Not that Brown taking over stopped Blairites and Brownites from snipping at each other. 
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:06:17 AM »

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/17d42d9c-4f00-11e5-8642-453585f2cfcd.html#axzz3kIrGrn00

"Tony Blair has stepped up his criticism of Jeremy Corbyn, warning Labour members that the left-wing leadership candidate represents “Alice in Wonderland” politics."

It seems that Blair must want Corbyn to win.  Everything he does something like this it only just adds momentum for Corbyn. 
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 10:02:07 PM »

At what time is the  Special Conference scheduled to announce results on 9/12 ?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 04:22:11 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11857140/Jeremy-Corbyn-Im-looking-forward-to-leading-Labour.html

"Jeremy Corbyn: I'm 'looking forward' to leading Labour"

"The hard-left candidate appears to declare victory in Labour leadership contest 48 hours before the result is announced as his rivals begin to concede defeat."

I guess this is his version of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPjCAHCBffI
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 05:46:23 AM »

There seems to be extended celebrations at the conference.  They are celebrating over in CON headquarters as well I assume.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 07:59:49 AM »

What large swing in turn of events in just 10 years.  Back in 2005 I recall one can with legitimate arguments, say "Can the CONs win again?".  Now, with Corbyn in charge and another redistricting coming up one can with legitimate arguments say "Can the LABs  win again?"  What a difference a couple of redistricting taking away the natural LAB advantage in terms of vote share to seat translation plus a change in LAB leadership make in 10 years.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies