How would a federal system in the UK work, and could it work?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:35:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How would a federal system in the UK work, and could it work?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would a federal system in the UK work, and could it work?  (Read 615 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2015, 03:54:31 PM »

The buzz is that Cameron will offer up some sort of devolution package for Scotland, and perhaps Northern Ireland and Wales too. The idea is that they would do their own thing on taxes and spending, as would England. I guess what would be left for the UK as a whole is defense and international affairs, immigration policy, the UK federal reserve currency system, and the like. However how could this really work? Parliament on English only matters just has English MP's voting, and everyone voting on federal questions? Suppose one party has a majority of English MP's, and another of all MP's. Who is prime minister? Is there a separate PM for English MP's who handles English only legislation? How is revenue raised for federal expenses? Is there a separate federal tax? Would the federal treasury be able to pay out monies to the regions, and if so, could then the federal parliament vote to do that, even if a majority of the English MP's oppose it, thereby creating a situation where the federal money could say be used to bail out Scotland's innumerate fiscal policies, based on the votes of Scottish MP's?

The whole thing seems unworkable to me, but I am open to an explanation of how it could all be made to sensibly work. In the meantime, my point of view is that Scotland is either all in the UK 100%, or out of it 100%.  There is no middle way that makes a lick of sense. But that may be just my lack of imagination of how to construct just the right Rube Goldberg toy that works just like a Swiss watch.

Maybe that master architect of delicate government structures, Muon2, can help me out. He by the way predicted that the Illinois courts would throw out the Dems public employee pension plan reform there, with the Dems presumably then having spent the money they really didn't have, because it's fix was as illegal as hell, and the Dems knew it, thus sending Illinois further into the black hole of insolvency (the sickest state in the union financially bar none). Yes, he's one smart cookie. Smiley
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 04:15:10 PM »

What would even be the point of a federal system? Is having a joint military really something anyone is particularly passionate about? Either be one country or don't. If you're going to do absolutely everything separately, just split. Just split.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 04:40:12 PM »

What would even be the point of a federal system? Is having a joint military really something anyone is particularly passionate about? Either be one country or don't. If you're going to do absolutely everything separately, just split. Just split.

Yes, that is my tentative view, but I want to keep an open mind about it. My perspicacity is not always perfect.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 07:04:40 PM »

There is a precedent (Northern Ireland 1921-72), though as it isn't a happy one people don't bring it up. The province ran itself, but still sent MPs to Westminster but it had less seats than it would otherwise have been entitled to.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies