Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:07:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population"  (Read 19216 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »

I can understand that the professor is not crazy about white guys in general, but her level of hatred is just disturbing.

She should consider resigning before Boston University receives a nasty backlash.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2015, 07:56:37 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2015, 08:01:43 PM by Marokai Besieged »

You know what I've noticed?
I've noticed on every job application I fill out, it asks me if I'm black or latino, followed by a disclaimer saying the employer is an "equal opportunity employer." So, to me, that'd imply that if I put down I was black or Latino, I'd have a higher chance of getting the job.

These things usually don't really mean anything, though, for most jobs. They're on there because they have to be and usually serve as a means to collect statistics rather than a way to keep the white man down. Affirmative action is not the omnipresent force that you make it out to be, even setting aside the qualitative argument of it all.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Why does this not make sense to you? The poverty rate for black Americans is roughly twice as high as whites. The graduation rate for blacks is substantially lower. Blacks are less likely than whites to be hired even with a college/university education and still make less money, anyway. Do you really not see a legitimate cause for efforts made to specifically increase the amount of black students in colleges and universities?

I don't know how you can look at statistics that show blacks are killed by cops at a rate ten times higher than whites and not realize race must be a component. Hell, you mention big cities, and NYC is the classic example of police disproportionately harassing minorities for doing nothing wrong.

Quote from: Restricted

How would you explain this?

I'm a high school drop-out with a GED and if you think I'm a "cultural Marxist" you know very little about the arguments I've gotten into on these topics in the past.

Atlas is the only site where I can be called both a rape-apologist MRA and also cultural marxist PC-lover.

Honestly when it comes to this I say the same to you as I say to social justice types that argue "society" is misogynistic or whatever. Who is "society" here? Who is doing this to you? What authority figure, what organization, what government in this country, or even in the Western world is doing this? And what are "they" specifically doing to cause these vague hurt feelings? Where's the "Men Suck & They're Uncool Act"? There are many, many individual components of "society" and when you get to close to one or two of them you begin to think that's all there really is. Your view is horrifically distorted.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2015, 10:20:16 PM »

You know what I've noticed?
I've noticed on every job application I fill out, it asks me if I'm black or latino, followed by a disclaimer saying the employer is an "equal opportunity employer." So, to me, that'd imply that if I put down I was black or Latino, I'd have a higher chance of getting the job.

These things usually don't really mean anything, though, for most jobs. They're on there because they have to be and usually serve as a means to collect statistics rather than a way to keep the white man down. Affirmative action is not the omnipresent force that you make it out to be, even setting aside the qualitative argument of it all.

Why does this not make sense to you? The poverty rate for black Americans is roughly twice as high as whites. The graduation rate for blacks is substantially lower. Blacks are less likely than whites to be hired even with a college/university education and still make less money, anyway. Do you really not see a legitimate cause for efforts made to specifically increase the amount of black students in colleges and universities?

I don't know how you can look at statistics that show blacks are killed by cops at a rate ten times higher than whites and not realize race must be a component. Hell, you mention big cities, and NYC is the classic example of police disproportionately harassing minorities for doing nothing wrong.

How would you explain this?

I'm a high school drop-out with a GED and if you think I'm a "cultural Marxist" you know very little about the arguments I've gotten into on these topics in the past.

Atlas is the only site where I can be called both a rape-apologist MRA and also cultural marxist PC-lover.

Honestly when it comes to this I say the same to you as I say to social justice types that argue "society" is misogynistic or whatever. Who is "society" here? Who is doing this to you? What authority figure, what organization, what government in this country, or even in the Western world is doing this? And what are "they" specifically doing to cause these vague hurt feelings? Where's the "Men Suck & They're Uncool Act"? There are many, many individual components of "society" and when you get to close to one or two of them you begin to think that's all there really is. Your view is horrifically distorted.

Very good post.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2015, 11:06:35 PM »

This classy lady also makes fun of rape victims on Facebook and enjoys identity theft as a form of revenge.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2015, 12:04:37 AM »

As I think since the beginning of that, no action is needed against her, she is very capable of self-destroying by herself, saving money from the inevitable lawsuit if she was fired.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2015, 04:20:57 AM »

You're deliberately misunderstanding the proper concept of privilege, though, and only attacking a version of it that only the craziest of the social justice types actually believe, that whites/males/white males always, in every situation, have greater privileges than anyone else. This is obviously untrue and I haven't seen anyone in this thread actually argue that.

"White male privilege" only means there are certain situations where, other things being equal, you are likely to be favored because of your race and/or sex. Obviously the upper class black female NYC stock-broker is more privileged than the Kentucky white male fast-food worker. But there's really no way an intellectually honest individual can look at things like statistics for arrests, or who gets hired for certain jobs, and not realize these things are a factor and are bent in your favor. To what extent, or where, or in what circumstances that is bent in your favor, can be argued, fine. But it very often is.

Nowhere in these processes are people trying to get you to apologize for being white. Well, no one reasonable, anyway. I'm curious what logic led you to the conclusion that people were.

And I wouldn't base an entire argument off this, as it's sort of a fallacy I guess, but could you at least admit the possibility that you don't think you've benefited from privilege in your life because you just didn't notice? And that simply not noticing a phenomenon doesn't mean it isn't there?

Well...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/exclusive-woman-held-psych-ward-obama-twitter-claim-article-1.2159049
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2015, 06:44:27 AM »

Today I learned that white men like Orlando Bloom, Adam Levine, and any and other attractive white men are apparently not wanted by women who find them attractive.
wildfood
Rookie
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2015, 12:07:23 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2015, 12:11:33 PM by wildfood »

It seems to be even worse in the UK. A Goldsmith's University diversity officer was tweeting #killallwhitemen and will remain in office...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11633305/University-union-officer-who-wrote-kill-all-white-men-tweet-will-remain-in-post.html

edit: spelling Surprise
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2015, 12:50:34 PM »

It seems to be even worse in the UK. A Goldsmith's University diversity officer was tweeting #killallwhitemen and will remain in office...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11633305/University-union-officer-who-wrote-kill-all-white-men-tweet-will-remain-in-post.html

edit: spelling Surprise

She could actually be prosecuted for this crap, though, unlike in the US.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies