Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:49:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population"  (Read 19173 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2015, 06:13:28 PM »

Fewer and fewer men are pursuing liberal arts degrees, or college generally. Things like this make me wonder if there isn't a concerted effort among some in academia to make sure this trend continues.
Outside of STEM and business, guys are definitely in the minority.  Honestly, state legislatures should defund humanities and divert it to STEM if crap like this continues unabated
It's not crap like this that is the reason to defund the humanities.  It's that there is such a glut of humanities majors, there's no reason to subsidize them.  The problem is that the way academia is set up is that at the student level its hard to separate funding. Rather than funding students, it probably would be more effective to fund professors directly in the area where they are desired.  That's sort of indirectly happening now, but a more direct funding would likely get the message across clearer.

I agree.  I'm just saying this is more of a "straw that breaks the camel's back" type of thing.  There is no reason to subsidize degrees in which the average graduate ends up working a low-wage job and no marketable skills are gained.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2015, 08:35:33 PM »

Right-wingers become the "PC Police" they love to complain about once someone says something they don't like. What hypocrisy.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2015, 09:07:48 PM »

Right-wingers become the "PC Police" they love to complain about once someone says something they don't like. What hypocrisy.

Examples?

It's not really about political correctness. It's about an instructor repeatedly making an unabashedly racist remark. No one's suggesting imposing on her right to preach hatred - I just question why Boston University appears to be sanctioning this behavior. Replace "white" with "black" -- and you know she would be canned by the department chair or whoever.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2015, 09:29:50 PM »

Why does everyone want to be a victim of oppression?  That's what this is.  People seek out weirdos who say dumb, hateful things, just for self-righteous power of feeling aggrieved.  America is one big cult of victimhood. 

When people who don't matter, like this woman, say dumb, hateful things, ignore them.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2015, 09:40:26 PM »

lol

Imagine what would be the reaction if a white male said African American women are the problem in society. Nothing more needs to be said.

Because as a white male I often have to worry about black women denying me an application for a mortgage or a bank loan, or rejecting me for a job because she doesn't like my white-sounding name or my thin, straight hair. I have to drive slowly through nice neighborhoods and keep my hands out of my pockets in case some black female cop decides to racially profile me and possibly shoot me for no reason. I have to deal with the fact that black women control a disproportionate amount of wealth in this country and that their incomes didn't decline nearly as much as mine did during the recession.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2015, 09:45:33 PM »

Examples?

It's not really about political correctness. It's about an instructor repeatedly making an unabashedly racist remark. No one's suggesting imposing on her right to preach hatred - I just question why Boston University appears to be sanctioning this behavior. Replace "white" with "black" -- and you know she would be canned by the department chair or whoever.

This post is a good example. My point is proven.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2015, 09:58:39 PM »

Examples?

This post is a good example. My point is proven.
Your "point" was about as sharp as a broken needle.

It's time for you to face reality here and I'm going to make it very clear for you, but I'm sure you'll still make some smart remark.

The thing is, she's only pointing out issues of society and structure that are not at all untrue. She didn't say anything about discriminating against anyone based on race, but simply highlighted issues no one wants to speak of.

There are plenty of white men out there who blame affirmative action for not getting jobs or into school, and there are plenty of them in control that operate on a system of class and bias. That's not to say all of them do, but there is a significant amount that do. I've seen some post online that advocate that only white male property owners should be allowed vote, which is a good example of what sort of mentality exists out there.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2015, 11:06:08 PM »

lol

Imagine what would be the reaction if a white male said African American women are the problem in society. Nothing more needs to be said.

Because as a white male I often have to worry about black women denying me an application for a mortgage or a bank loan, or rejecting me for a job because she doesn't like my white-sounding name or my thin, straight hair. I have to drive slowly through nice neighborhoods and keep my hands out of my pockets in case some black female cop decides to racially profile me and possibly shoot me for no reason. I have to deal with the fact that black women control a disproportionate amount of wealth in this country and that their incomes didn't decline nearly as much as mine did during the recession.

And it's completely safe for a white person, or any person for that matter, to drive through an inner city black neighborhood, right?

statistically speaking a white person is safer from crime in a predominantly black inner city neighborhood than a black person living in that neighborhood is
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2015, 11:15:59 PM »

Ok, so it exists? So what? You've never read anything comparable from a black person, or any other race? Like "every white person should leave America because Native Amuricans lol", or some ridiculous nonsense like that?

It seems like you've only been searching for posts that confirm your initial position, to be honest with you.

How are white males "the problem" for colleges? Should they just not go to college? I don't understand what the point of the original quote was. It seems like it just inflames racial tension for no reason.

She never said "white males", what she said was "white masculinity" and that is about mentality. You have plenty of minorities making comments about unfairness, but they aren't part of the structure that runs things.  The point is, when it comes to those in control, entitled attitudes lead to an unbalanced society.

Overall, my point is that right-wingers are no less politically correct than anyone else.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2015, 11:23:43 PM »

lol

And it's completely safe for a white person, or any person for that matter, to drive through an inner city black neighborhood, right?

In that situation, the issue is more about the type of neighborhood, as opposed to the demographics. A white person would be safe driving through View Park-Windsor Hills, Ladera Heights and Baldwin Hills, but dramatically less safe driving through Watts or Vermont Square. At the same time, a black person is safer driving through suburban white neighborhood than a poor, rural white neighborhood with prescription drug abuse related crime.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2015, 11:01:01 AM »

What in the name of all that is sacred is this thread?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2015, 11:12:26 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2015, 11:16:43 AM by Stone Cold Conservative »

Largely because Western people have traditionally been on the winning side of history.  It is very easy to claim to be the most enlightened people in history when your people have had the fortune of being winners instead of losers.  Of course, you leave out a lot of things, like how the Middle Eastern world was a thriving civilization that was a leader in practically all fields of learning, medical, and technological advances before they had the misfortune of being wiped out by the Mongol wave.  Also, it is unfair to base how East Asians would have treated black people compared to whites when the latter have generally had much more experience with blacks than the former.  Asians generally enslaved other Asians while whitey enslaved Native Americans, Celticy people, Slavs, blacks, and even their own lower classes.  In fact, the mass enslavement that people of all races committed within their own race/ethnic groups is one of the untold stories of history.

The Mongolians didn't wipe out some Arabic enlightening, it was already dying when they arrive and ended it completely, BTW Syria not Bagdad was the centre of it as it existed. As for the slavery issue, the Arabs was everybit our equals in it, from the chattel slavery of the Mesopotanian delta, to the slave armies of Egypt and the Ottomans, the slaver states across the Sahel, East Africa and Ukraine.

As for the Chinese and Mughals their treatment of conquered neighbours was everybit as brutal as anything Europeans did. They all did when they was the winners of history not losers.

Shut up Ingeman.

Anyway, I find it telling that a few errors I made are being pointed out and made a big deal of when I had audacity to call out our resident "liberal eugenicist".
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2015, 11:28:31 AM »

And it started off so promising, with a link to a Farce News story about reverse racism and misandry!
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2015, 11:42:27 AM »

As a white male I completely agree with that statement. White males are responsible for virtually everything wrong with the world today.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2015, 12:20:58 PM »

Ok, so it exists? So what? You've never read anything comparable from a black person, or any other race? Like "every white person should leave America because Native Amuricans lol", or some ridiculous nonsense like that?

It seems like you've only been searching for posts that confirm your initial position, to be honest with you.

How are white males "the problem" for colleges? Should they just not go to college? I don't understand what the point of the original quote was. It seems like it just inflames racial tension for no reason.

She never said "white males", what she said was "white masculinity" and that is about mentality. You have plenty of minorities making comments about unfairness, but they aren't part of the structure that runs things.  The point is, when it comes to those in control, entitled attitudes lead to an unbalanced society.

Overall, my point is that right-wingers are no less politically correct than anyone else.
First, I'm not defending the right wing, they are obviously hypocritical and that's not surprising.

However, the quote made it seem like the biggest problem with colleges was white males acting tough and throwing their weight around. I'm not sure how you could argue that's not what the quote was implying.
The biggest problem is entitlement and that's exactly what the professor's point was.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2015, 01:32:38 PM »

Largely because Western people have traditionally been on the winning side of history.  It is very easy to claim to be the most enlightened people in history when your people have had the fortune of being winners instead of losers.  Of course, you leave out a lot of things, like how the Middle Eastern world was a thriving civilization that was a leader in practically all fields of learning, medical, and technological advances before they had the misfortune of being wiped out by the Mongol wave.  Also, it is unfair to base how East Asians would have treated black people compared to whites when the latter have generally had much more experience with blacks than the former.  Asians generally enslaved other Asians while whitey enslaved Native Americans, Celticy people, Slavs, blacks, and even their own lower classes.  In fact, the mass enslavement that people of all races committed within their own race/ethnic groups is one of the untold stories of history.

The Mongolians didn't wipe out some Arabic enlightening, it was already dying when they arrive and ended it completely, BTW Syria not Bagdad was the centre of it as it existed. As for the slavery issue, the Arabs was everybit our equals in it, from the chattel slavery of the Mesopotanian delta, to the slave armies of Egypt and the Ottomans, the slaver states across the Sahel, East Africa and Ukraine.

As for the Chinese and Mughals their treatment of conquered neighbours was everybit as brutal as anything Europeans did. They all did when they was the winners of history not losers.

Shut up Ingeman.

Anyway, I find it telling that a few errors I made are being pointed out and made a big deal of when I had audacity to call out our resident "liberal eugenicist".

I personal dislike your romanticism of the exotic more than Cory's mild chauvinism. Non-"White" people are not some kind of noble savagees, who exist for liberal Americans to make a point against the American conservatives, they're real breathing people with their own complex, beautiful and ugly history.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2015, 03:50:23 PM »

Shut up Ingeman.

I personal dislike your romanticism of the exotic more than Cory's mild chauvinism. Non-"White" people are not some kind of noble savagees, who exist for liberal Americans to make a point against the American conservatives, they're real breathing people with their own complex, beautiful and ugly history.

There's actually a lot of truth in your post, but it seems largely beside the point, and ignores the actual history of the world over the past several centuries.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2015, 07:04:14 PM »

Fewer and fewer men are pursuing liberal arts degrees, or college generally. Things like this make me wonder if there isn't a concerted effort among some in academia to make sure this trend continues.
Outside of STEM and business, guys are definitely in the minority.  Honestly, state legislatures should defund humanities and divert it to STEM if crap like this continues unabated
It's not crap like this that is the reason to defund the humanities.  It's that there is such a glut of humanities majors, there's no reason to subsidize them.  The problem is that the way academia is set up is that at the student level its hard to separate funding. Rather than funding students, it probably would be more effective to fund professors directly in the area where they are desired.  That's sort of indirectly happening now, but a more direct funding would likely get the message across clearer.

I agree.  I'm just saying this is more of a "straw that breaks the camel's back" type of thing.  There is no reason to subsidize degrees in which the average graduate ends up working a low-wage job and no marketable skills are gained.

Ideally, our education would be set up for giving students education in the humanities while recognizing that they are most likely not going to get a job in this area right out of college and so support this with some ancillary transferable skills and job networking.  The humanities really can be a valuable area for the individual development of a student, but in so much of liberal arts academia the intellectual and personal development of students is ignored for the sake of obscure research servicing positions in the left's internecine battles.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2015, 12:40:42 AM »

Essentially, the argument for affirmative action is that it's okay to discriminate because we did it in the past. And I think most Americans would agree with the opposition stance in that regard.

I didn't want to leave this unaddressed, so just for the record, the argument for affirmative action is not that it's "okay to discriminate because we did it in the past."  You can call it 'positive discrimination' or just plain 'discrimination' but it really is not the same thing by clear virtue of intent.  Some might find it hard to believe, but we don't support affirmative action because of some strange desire to bring white people down.  You might feel like the setbacks of 50+ years ago have been addressed, but a sober examination of the country and how people at different stages of education and income level are doing does not necessarily agree with that.  Now, again, while you may feel that affirmative action is an incorrect or misguided approach to address past discrimination, it is ridiculous to say that they are one and the same.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2015, 12:46:18 AM »

Being a white male is hard.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2015, 09:18:05 AM »

What is this thread?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2015, 09:24:33 AM »

lol

It's pretty insane to insist that the decades and centuries long systems of oppression perpetrated by white people on black people that have led to grinding poverty and high rates of violence in inner-city black neighborhoods is somehow unfair...to white people.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2015, 10:19:13 AM »

This thread has nothing to do with sacredness.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2015, 10:41:49 AM »

The thing is, I'm not sure what kind of knowledge is being produced here. White [religious] culture dominated Black culture? We do that in History, a lot of it. Read Achebe.

Now, regardless of what one thinks of the humanities, knowledge is still produced. The best example I can think of are the archaeologists who go out into the field and find things that directly contribute to what we know about the past and present. Or the person who finds some long lost document. But it just sounds to me like this woman is using the line inquiry she has chosen to do little more than expound on her own bitterness.

Now, what direction the humanities should take in the future in order to remain "relevant" might be a different topic of conversation, but incorporating business skills, technological proficiency, and so on would be a very good idea so that whatever primary skills a person develops would more readily fit into the corporate world. Again, this professor's line of inquiry just seems out of place.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2015, 03:23:58 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2015, 03:26:19 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

Apparently she's now come under fire for mocking a white girl getting raped.

I'm sorry. I think the word c**t is perfectly appropriate to describe this horrible woman.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies