Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:33:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population"  (Read 19211 times)
CountryClassSF

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2015, 04:19:03 PM »

Wow! She should be fired! What do her Democrat defenders say now?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2015, 04:23:53 PM »

Wow! She should be fired! What do her Democrat defenders say now?

Did she had any?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2015, 10:36:42 PM »

I wonder what the reaction would be to a white professor using the phrase #blackgirltears.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2015, 02:09:31 AM »

Do the resident SJW's of Atlas need a towel?

You know, for the egg on your face?
Dazey
Rookie
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2015, 02:57:39 AM »

It really saddens me to see these "SJW" types become increasingly influential on the left. They're more of a raving lynch mob then anything else.

The SJW types such as this professor are actually making me racist. I feel very much pressured by society as of late that I am supposed to hate myself or feel guilt for being white, and it is making me want to push back and making me resent blacks. Sorry for slavery, sorry for Jim Crow but, I didn't have any part of it. I'm proud of being white. Does that mean I think anyone is inferior? No. But I feel as if, I, as a white male, am being increasingly marginalized and villanized.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2015, 09:36:20 AM »

My thought on the issue: It's not racism or sexism per se, as those require societal oppression. Yes, white males are a privileged population. I say that as one. However, what this professor said is still prejudice and it's inexcusable. She should be fired. Prejudice is no way to achieve equality. SJW's always forget that. Alienating allies destroys movements as it pushes them into extremism and ideological isolation.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »

I'm a white male and I was not in any way even remotely offended.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2015, 11:12:39 AM »

My thought on the issue: It's not racism or sexism per se, as those require societal oppression. Yes, white males are a privileged population. I say that as one. However, what this professor said is still prejudice and it's inexcusable. She should be fired. Prejudice is no way to achieve equality. SJW's always forget that. Alienating allies destroys movements as it pushes them into extremism and ideological isolation.

Not outside of Tumblr fantasy land they don't.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2015, 01:02:05 PM »

Yeah, just because people scream a fake definition often enough doesn't make it real.

She's said more than enough bullsh**t to get her thrown out of academia, hopefully, especially given the latest revelations.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »

Obviously this woman is mad as a box of frogs, but the fact this seemingly banal story - the 'anti-SJW' equivalent of Landslide Lyndon's ubiquitous "local republican is moron: news at ten" threads - is six pages long is very indicative of some people's obsessions. You're tilting at windmills, folks.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2015, 01:40:13 PM »

Freedom of speech. Remember, it's freedom of speech. Freedom of speech isn't only for angry conservatives. You can't have double standards.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2015, 02:05:36 PM »

Freedom of speech. Remember, it's freedom of speech. Freedom of speech isn't only for angry conservatives. You can't have double standards.
Who here has seriously denied her right to free speech? We have the right to call her out too, of course.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2015, 02:28:17 PM »

I don't really care about this. But it's not hard to figure out why no one really takes non-STEM academia seriously.

The real victims are her students who will find themselves 100K in debt just to end up pouring cups of coffee.

^^^
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2015, 03:08:44 PM »

It really saddens me to see these "SJW" types become increasingly influential on the left. They're more of a raving lynch mob then anything else.

The SJW types such as this professor are actually making me racist. I feel very much pressured by society as of late that I am supposed to hate myself or feel guilt for being white, and it is making me want to push back and making me resent blacks. Sorry for slavery, sorry for Jim Crow but, I didn't have any part of it. I'm proud of being white. Does that mean I think anyone is inferior? No. But I feel as if, I, as a white male, am being increasingly marginalized and villanized.
Sounds like me, circa 2011.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2015, 04:46:53 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

now there's a phrase that I plan to use in the future.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2015, 09:43:57 PM »

Man, you were a racist jerk 4 years ago.
wildfood
Rookie
« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2015, 09:56:08 PM »

If it wasn't against whites, he'd be fired on the spot.  Racism against whites is acceptable, and encouraged on college campuses today.
Don't some white intellectuals say that the problem with black society is black men almost constantly? How is this statement substantially different from that in it's ridiculousness?

It is not different in it's ridiculousness. It is different because the spewer of the venom is not fired from their public service job.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2015, 10:26:38 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2015, 10:41:24 PM by L.D. Smith, Bay Area Conservadem »

The problem here isn't what she says (because there really are a lot of institutional advantages from the get-go. Hell, one could roam Atlas and see the entitled attitude amuck), but how she says it (intellectual altruism...really? Below my pay grade?) ...and the fact that she's been getting away with saying it in that manner for so long.

No male professor of any race would have gotten away with those remarks

For the first remark, the professor would be seen as self-loathing (if white) or envious and bigoted (if a minority)

For the second remark, the professor would be seen quite rightfully as misogynist and canned on the spot.

And if the subject was on white women being entitled then the outcry would have been b****-out ballistic, and rightfully so.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2015, 06:27:31 AM »

Recognizing privilege is not the same as feeling guilty about it.

But yeah, this type of anti-racist does more damage than good.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2015, 06:04:46 PM »

Man, you were a racist jerk 4 years ago.
I was a douche trying to be edgy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2015, 12:08:18 AM »

Yeah, just because people scream a fake definition often enough doesn't make it real.

She's said more than enough bullsh**t to get her thrown out of academia, hopefully, especially given the latest revelations.

It takes a special kind of person to be nonplussed by bigotry just because their group happens to have a higher aggregate socioeconomic status than the group of the bigoted person. The sad thing is, that special kind is grossly overrepresented in academia and includes many folks who are willing to defend these kinds of reprehensible statements.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »

One advantage of living within a bubble is that life outside the bubble never has to disturb you.
Dazey
Rookie
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »

One advantage of living within a bubble is that life outside the bubble never has to disturb you.

Is it so hard for you to accept believing that, when one is in the lower middle class, they really don't have any advantages? Or is your belief system, as a commie, so racialized that everything - no matter what it is - must be the fault of 'the white man', even if said white man lives in pretty much the same circumstances as the black man? There are white poor, too. Amazing, isn't that?

Everyone lives in a bubble of their own making. Yours is a cultural Marxist, far left SJW bubble. I'm white, and I'm a male. I never segregated a bathroom nor ever attended a Klan meeting, nor have I ever down anything to keep my fellow human being, regardless of race, down. I know your professor would tell you that's utterly impossible...But there are genuinely good white males who genuinely have not experienced this recent construct - "white privilege" you speak of. Not every single white man born in this country has experienced it. And no white male of my age - mid 20s - has to apologize or feel guilty for Jim Crow or slavery, because we weren't there for it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2015, 11:08:28 AM »

You're deliberately misunderstanding the proper concept of privilege, though, and only attacking a version of it that only the craziest of the social justice types actually believe, that whites/males/white males always, in every situation, have greater privileges than anyone else. This is obviously untrue and I haven't seen anyone in this thread actually argue that.

"White male privilege" only means there are certain situations where, other things being equal, you are likely to be favored because of your race and/or sex. Obviously the upper class black female NYC stock-broker is more privileged than the Kentucky white male fast-food worker. But there's really no way an intellectually honest individual can look at things like statistics for arrests, or who gets hired for certain jobs, and not realize these things are a factor and are bent in your favor. To what extent, or where, or in what circumstances that is bent in your favor, can be argued, fine. But it very often is.

Nowhere in these processes are people trying to get you to apologize for being white. Well, no one reasonable, anyway. I'm curious what logic led you to the conclusion that people were.

And I wouldn't base an entire argument off this, as it's sort of a fallacy I guess, but could you at least admit the possibility that you don't think you've benefited from privilege in your life because you just didn't notice? And that simply not noticing a phenomenon doesn't mean it isn't there?
Dazey
Rookie
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2015, 11:43:33 AM »

You're deliberately misunderstanding the proper concept of privilege, though, and only attacking a version of it that only the craziest of the social justice types actually believe, that whites/males/white males always, in every situation, have greater privileges than anyone else. This is obviously untrue and I haven't seen anyone in this thread actually argue that.

"White male privilege" only means there are certain situations where, other things being equal, you are likely to be favored because of your race and/or sex. Obviously the upper class black female NYC stock-broker is more privileged than the Kentucky white male fast-food worker. But there's really no way an intellectually honest individual can look at things like statistics for arrests, or who gets hired for certain jobs, and not realize these things are a factor and are bent in your favor. To what extent, or where, or in what circumstances that is bent in your favor, can be argued, fine. But it very often is.

Nowhere in these processes are people trying to get you to apologize for being white. Well, no one reasonable, anyway. I'm curious what logic led you to the conclusion that people were.

And I wouldn't base an entire argument off this, as it's sort of a fallacy I guess, but could you at least admit the possibility that you don't think you've benefited from privilege in your life because you just didn't notice? And that simply not noticing a phenomenon doesn't mean it isn't there?

You know what I've noticed?
I've noticed on every job application I fill out, it asks me if I'm black or latino, followed by a disclaimer saying the employer is an "equal opportunity employer." So, to me, that'd imply that if I put down I was black or Latino, I'd have a higher chance of getting the job.

I've noticed at my college scholarships which are only for black youths, that specifically don't include me. I don't see any "United White Folks' College Fund" or any such thing.

As far as arrests - I've never been in a situation where I've had a run in with the law. You know why? It isn't because I'm white and privileged. It's because I keep a low profile and go about my business in a very nondescript way. I live in a big city and as far as I've seen, no one really cares what you do here - black or white.

I haven't noticed a circumstance where I experienced 'privilege' because it hasn't happened to me. You can refuse to believe that all you want and believe the Marxian way and what your college professors brainwashed you into believing - but in my circumstance, I know my life a lot better than you do.

Society is making it more and more where being a white guy means you're "uncool", "not wanted by women", where you're the "bad guy" whose only historical or present day role is to "keep down people of color/gays/women" etc. When society and the media - and then their followers in the SJW and cultural liberal world rehash those beliefs - you begin to feel marginalized in your society. And that your society expects you to feel ashamed of being a white guy or guilty for crimes you didn't commit.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies