Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:55:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population"  (Read 19328 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« on: May 08, 2015, 11:25:18 PM »

I think the best thing I could say about it, in all seriousness, is that it's sort of neutralisingly equally senseless rhetoric to offend the kinds of people who think that blacks are living it up due to affirmative action.  A lot of people have this bizarre fixation on AA and the zealous comparison to real discrimination faced by minorities that many eventually make when pressed makes me very uncomfortable.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 11:40:14 PM »

I think the best thing I could say about it, in all seriousness, is that it's sort of neutralisingly equally senseless rhetoric to offend the kinds of people who think that blacks are living it up due to affirmative action.  A lot of people have this bizarre fixation on AA and the zealous comparison to real discrimination faced by minorities that many eventually make when pressed makes me very uncomfortable.

She made multiple racist comments against whites, and sexist comments directed at males and masculine males -- and literally will receive no reprucussions for doing so. 

Tell me again how she's facing discrimination. And yes, with such hate in her heart, I'd be interested to know how she got her job. It's certainly not her charm.

Admittedly, I don't know the specifics of her history making remarks like these, so if she is being sincere, I think that is a cause for concern.

She is not facing discrimination, no; but I contend that African-Americans and other minorities as a whole do suffer lasting effects as a result of generations of discrimination and poverty.  I suspect a lot of people who oppose affirmative action would disagree with this.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 12:18:07 AM »

I'm pretty opposed to affirmative action - It's essentially state sponsored discrimination of white people.  The wrongs of state sponsored discrimination against blacks were rightfully repealed -- why now, do we have to reverse that and discriminate against white people? It's just as wrong, and just as deluded.

This is exactly what I was referring to before.  It's not just as wrong, it's an effort to address the visible setbacks that decades of legally mandated segregation and discrimination have produced.  Call it misguided if you want, but I think it's fair to say that the majority of proponents of affirmative action are absolutely not racist against whites, and as you even allude to, recently heightened racial tensions suggest that racial bigotry is still a problem that society has yet to entirely wrestle with fully.  To suggest that diversity programs in hiring is the actual equivalent to segregated schools or the poll tax is absurd.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 12:40:42 AM »

Essentially, the argument for affirmative action is that it's okay to discriminate because we did it in the past. And I think most Americans would agree with the opposition stance in that regard.

I didn't want to leave this unaddressed, so just for the record, the argument for affirmative action is not that it's "okay to discriminate because we did it in the past."  You can call it 'positive discrimination' or just plain 'discrimination' but it really is not the same thing by clear virtue of intent.  Some might find it hard to believe, but we don't support affirmative action because of some strange desire to bring white people down.  You might feel like the setbacks of 50+ years ago have been addressed, but a sober examination of the country and how people at different stages of education and income level are doing does not necessarily agree with that.  Now, again, while you may feel that affirmative action is an incorrect or misguided approach to address past discrimination, it is ridiculous to say that they are one and the same.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies