Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:42:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population"  (Read 19339 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: May 09, 2015, 12:11:59 AM »

Fewer and fewer men are pursuing liberal arts degrees, or college generally. Things like this make me wonder if there isn't a concerted effort among some in academia to make sure this trend continues.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 07:04:14 PM »

Fewer and fewer men are pursuing liberal arts degrees, or college generally. Things like this make me wonder if there isn't a concerted effort among some in academia to make sure this trend continues.
Outside of STEM and business, guys are definitely in the minority.  Honestly, state legislatures should defund humanities and divert it to STEM if crap like this continues unabated
It's not crap like this that is the reason to defund the humanities.  It's that there is such a glut of humanities majors, there's no reason to subsidize them.  The problem is that the way academia is set up is that at the student level its hard to separate funding. Rather than funding students, it probably would be more effective to fund professors directly in the area where they are desired.  That's sort of indirectly happening now, but a more direct funding would likely get the message across clearer.

I agree.  I'm just saying this is more of a "straw that breaks the camel's back" type of thing.  There is no reason to subsidize degrees in which the average graduate ends up working a low-wage job and no marketable skills are gained.

Ideally, our education would be set up for giving students education in the humanities while recognizing that they are most likely not going to get a job in this area right out of college and so support this with some ancillary transferable skills and job networking.  The humanities really can be a valuable area for the individual development of a student, but in so much of liberal arts academia the intellectual and personal development of students is ignored for the sake of obscure research servicing positions in the left's internecine battles.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:46:53 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

now there's a phrase that I plan to use in the future.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies