Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:07:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boston University professor: White Males a "problem population"  (Read 19357 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« on: May 09, 2015, 08:35:33 PM »

Right-wingers become the "PC Police" they love to complain about once someone says something they don't like. What hypocrisy.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 09:45:33 PM »

Right-wingers become the "PC Police" they love to complain about once someone says something they don't like. What hypocrisy.

Examples?

It's not really about political correctness. It's about an instructor repeatedly making an unabashedly racist remark. No one's suggesting imposing on her right to preach hatred - I just question why Boston University appears to be sanctioning this behavior. Replace "white" with "black" -- and you know she would be canned by the department chair or whoever.

This post is a good example. My point is proven.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 09:58:39 PM »

Examples?

It's not really about political correctness. It's about an instructor repeatedly making an unabashedly racist remark. No one's suggesting imposing on her right to preach hatred - I just question why Boston University appears to be sanctioning this behavior. Replace "white" with "black" -- and you know she would be canned by the department chair or whoever.

This post is a good example. My point is proven.
Your "point" was about as sharp as a broken needle.

It's time for you to face reality here and I'm going to make it very clear for you, but I'm sure you'll still make some smart remark.

The thing is, she's only pointing out issues of society and structure that are not at all untrue. She didn't say anything about discriminating against anyone based on race, but simply highlighted issues no one wants to speak of.

There are plenty of white men out there who blame affirmative action for not getting jobs or into school, and there are plenty of them in control that operate on a system of class and bias. That's not to say all of them do, but there is a significant amount that do. I've seen some post online that advocate that only white male property owners should be allowed vote, which is a good example of what sort of mentality exists out there.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 11:15:59 PM »

Ok, so it exists? So what? You've never read anything comparable from a black person, or any other race? Like "every white person should leave America because Native Amuricans lol", or some ridiculous nonsense like that?

It seems like you've only been searching for posts that confirm your initial position, to be honest with you.

How are white males "the problem" for colleges? Should they just not go to college? I don't understand what the point of the original quote was. It seems like it just inflames racial tension for no reason.

She never said "white males", what she said was "white masculinity" and that is about mentality. You have plenty of minorities making comments about unfairness, but they aren't part of the structure that runs things.  The point is, when it comes to those in control, entitled attitudes lead to an unbalanced society.

Overall, my point is that right-wingers are no less politically correct than anyone else.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 11:23:43 PM »

lol

Imagine what would be the reaction if a white male said African American women are the problem in society. Nothing more needs to be said.

Because as a white male I often have to worry about black women denying me an application for a mortgage or a bank loan, or rejecting me for a job because she doesn't like my white-sounding name or my thin, straight hair. I have to drive slowly through nice neighborhoods and keep my hands out of my pockets in case some black female cop decides to racially profile me and possibly shoot me for no reason. I have to deal with the fact that black women control a disproportionate amount of wealth in this country and that their incomes didn't decline nearly as much as mine did during the recession.

And it's completely safe for a white person, or any person for that matter, to drive through an inner city black neighborhood, right?

In that situation, the issue is more about the type of neighborhood, as opposed to the demographics. A white person would be safe driving through View Park-Windsor Hills, Ladera Heights and Baldwin Hills, but dramatically less safe driving through Watts or Vermont Square. At the same time, a black person is safer driving through suburban white neighborhood than a poor, rural white neighborhood with prescription drug abuse related crime.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 12:20:58 PM »

Ok, so it exists? So what? You've never read anything comparable from a black person, or any other race? Like "every white person should leave America because Native Amuricans lol", or some ridiculous nonsense like that?

It seems like you've only been searching for posts that confirm your initial position, to be honest with you.

How are white males "the problem" for colleges? Should they just not go to college? I don't understand what the point of the original quote was. It seems like it just inflames racial tension for no reason.

She never said "white males", what she said was "white masculinity" and that is about mentality. You have plenty of minorities making comments about unfairness, but they aren't part of the structure that runs things.  The point is, when it comes to those in control, entitled attitudes lead to an unbalanced society.

Overall, my point is that right-wingers are no less politically correct than anyone else.
First, I'm not defending the right wing, they are obviously hypocritical and that's not surprising.

However, the quote made it seem like the biggest problem with colleges was white males acting tough and throwing their weight around. I'm not sure how you could argue that's not what the quote was implying.
The biggest problem is entitlement and that's exactly what the professor's point was.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:40:13 PM »

Freedom of speech. Remember, it's freedom of speech. Freedom of speech isn't only for angry conservatives. You can't have double standards.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies