Senate resolution: Improve the Senate Rules (Final vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:56:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate resolution: Improve the Senate Rules (Final vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Senate resolution: Improve the Senate Rules (Final vote)  (Read 1991 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2015, 07:37:44 PM »
« edited: May 25, 2015, 07:38:42 AM by Mideast Senator and Senate speaker windjammer »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Article III, clause 3 and 4 shall be amended to read

Article VI, Clause 1 shall be amended to read:

Article VII shall be amended to read:

Article X shall be added to the Senate rules:
[/quote]

Sponsor: Windjammer
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 07:38:10 PM »

I'm going to explain everything tomorrow. If you do have any question, please let me know.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 04:28:57 AM »

I find striking the part allowing only the Speaker to post on the FG board sensible, and since we break this rule very often, it's kind of an adaption to reality, I would say.

Why would you reduce the number of bills possible to be on the floor, though?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 04:52:42 AM »

I have some doubts about this.
Why reducing the number of bills on the floor?
And also... I have a lot of doubts about Article X. The tiebreaker is the VP and so I think you should explain that "If the VP is absent or the position is vacant...". But the 6 potential tiebreakers are Senators or simple citizens? It's strange that a Senator is the first tiebreaker because he is a "former Senator"...
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 05:20:09 AM »

I have some doubts about this.
Why reducing the number of bills on the floor?
And also... I have a lot of doubts about Article X. The tiebreaker is the VP and so I think you should explain that "If the VP is absent or the position is vacant...". But the 6 potential tiebreakers are Senators or simple citizens? It's strange that a Senator is the first tiebreaker because he is a "former Senator"...

Article X deals with seniority, not with breaking the tie at Senate votes. Tiebreaker here means that if two Senators start their term at the same day, these tiebreakers are used in that order to determine which Senator is considered more senior. For example, Windjammer and I both started our current, continuos Senate tenure in November 2014. However, as I had been already been a Senator once prior to that - in August and September 2014 - and this is of higher grade here than any of the offices Windjammer had held, I am considered officially more senior than Windjammer.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 08:05:39 AM »

Well my goal was to simplify and to improve the current senate rules.
-The
part is simply unconstitutional because it would violate the right of the senators to file a lawsuit against anyone.

- The 2 current most senior senators: TNF and Polnut aren't interested by the administration of the senate, and that's their right. That's why they shouldn't be forced to spend their time to administer the senate until the election of a new speaker. With this senate change, they would be able to appoint someone else for these duties.

-I deleted the
, not a big deal but just to make sure no one believes this is exclusively a VP duty (it can be a Speaker's duty when the VP is absent). Just to clarify.

-Cranberry, I decided to reduce the number of slots by 1 because often during my tenure as Speaker and as VP a long time ago there was a risk that no bills anymore would be debated because all the queue would have disappeared. As speaker, during a time, I was literally forced to slow down the administration of the senate because of this risk. By the way, I would like to remind everyone that the 2 presidential slots have almost been both empty, and 1 of them has always been empty. So if really there is a problem (like me now asking bore to use one of these slots for this reform because I risk to be elected Governor), 2 additional slots can be used.

-Cris, you misunderstand Article X: this is an article about seniority. The senate rules always talk about "the most senior senator". That's fine. But what happens when the 2 longest serving senators have been elected at the same time senator? That is currently the case with me and Cranberry. So this article basically ends this problem. If 2 senators have been elected at the same time, the tie breakers would be:  1) if they have been before a member of the senate (as Senator and then as VP, who is the President of the Senate), 2) if they have been before a legislator in a local assembly 3) if they have executive experience (president and then governor) and finally 4) the username.

For example, I'm behind Cranberry for seniority because he has been a former senator before being elected senator 6 months ago (1st tiebreaker) while I was only VP before (2nd tiebreaker).

-And finally, the regions I believe passed the 21st amendment, so fortunately senators can't be impeached anymore. But the constitution still allows the senate to expulse its members. The article about expulsion of a senator has never been updated. The current senate rules still speak about a "PPT" for example. So basically, I believe it was time to write something new. With this article, the senate would be able to expulse its members:
- if 5 senators sponsor the article of impeachment for any reason. (5 is really a high number in order to make sure it doesn't happen often).
-And like before, if a senator doesn't post anything for a week: possibility of facing expulsion procedures.

The President of the senate would administer that because I don't like the idea of a senator administering that. If there is no VP, it would be the Speaker except if it is against himself. Some things added to that: the presiding officer shall not be able to debate in order to make sure this is the fairest possible. Anf if this a senator who administers that, he would have to vote only if his vote matters and in this case, the last senator to vote.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 08:51:50 AM »

Yes, I do believe this is important to be spelled out. Indeed, the senate rules allow greater flexibility and I used it as speaker, like when I suspended  a rule, making sure a bill wouldn't be withdrawn. However, I was able to do that because I was the presiding officer. If we don't know exactly who is the presiding officer, the "exceptionnal powers" of the presiding officer couldn't simply be used. For example, if the most senior senator at the beginning of the senate session has a problem with a tornado, he wouldn't be able to start the spearkership election, no one else could with the former rules. Basically blocking the senate.
You mean TNF vs Windjammer and Averroes vs TNF? Tongue
Well, the problem was the tie breaking vote power. The fact that the VP is the president of the senate and that the PPT is acting as president of the senate during the VP's absence has never been a subject of controversy.

Here are the current rules on expulsion, obviously needed to be updated:

Well, Cranberry and myself are 2 pinko two-term senators. So it can happen I guess???
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 01:44:03 PM »

Total side note, but while we're discussing the rules, I want to bring up the following.

I know this was a sensitive issue with some members not so long ago, but I believe the vice president should have more authority in one important instance: the transition between speakers. We had basically a week where nothing really happened because we were electing a speaker. It is possible my unfamiliarity with the rules is showing here (and that the VP was supposed to do something and didn't Tongue), but I think the vice president should have been keeping things going in the debate threads. That short hiatus has thrown a lot of us off... and it strikes me as an unnecessary occurrence.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 02:06:20 PM »

All right. Didn't mean to accuse, but I thought I'd cover my ass.

In that case, I do think it is worth looking into whether the vice president should not have that power during the transition.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »

I don't support cutting the number of bills that have been debated-I put forward a bill a month ago and I'm still waiting for it to come up
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 12:24:44 PM »

Certainly not a fan of this; most of the changes seem unnecessary besides the provision to remove the ridiculous prohibition on senators other than the speaker being able to post threads here.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 02:35:55 PM »

Two things:

I think the issue Nix is referring to is that seniority is decided by the time stamp on the swearing in thread, and, as that measures to the second, it's very very unlikely that two senators swear in at the same time.

It's a very good idea to change the expulsion section, but I'm not clear either why the president of the senate when they're a senator don't get a vote, and, even if they're not, don't get to participate. I'm also not sure why a senator needs to hire an attorney, or what the attorney would do.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 04:05:58 AM »

67th Senate
TNF  July 2013
Polnut Sept 2014
Cranberry  Nov 2014
Windjammer Nov 2014
Cris  Jan 2015
Lief   Jan 2015
Talleyrand Mar 2015
HagridoftheDeep Mar 2015
Blair Mar 2015
NC Yankee May 2015

^ Present Senate by Senority.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 09:06:52 PM »

Even if two Senators swear in at the exact same time, one's post is going to precede the other's. Not a real issue I think.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 06:24:14 AM »

Well,
I didn't know it was that the seniority because it was never mentioned in the senate rules.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 02:15:41 AM »

It was in the old rules if I recally correctly. Tongue
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 06:35:57 AM »

Well as Talleyrand says, due to the way the forum works there has to be one post after another even if they were sent at the same time, so we can just put a sentence along the lines of "Seniority shall be determined by the length of continuous service" to the first mention of it, which is in Article II Section II
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 11:19:38 PM »

Indeed, even if it is not in the old rules, senority was defined in the old rules as being "longest continuously serving Senator" for the purposes of defining who the Dean was (who was not PPT of course). That doctrine was applied to senority overall since the only real purpose behind having it is identify who the dean of the Senate is for whatever power or responsbility he has so it can be completed.

I swore in on July 3rd, 2009 for my first stint. Hashy and MaxQue swore in the same day, but my time stamp was the oldest of the three so I was in office orior to them (Thank Jedi, he explained it to me beforehand).
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2015, 04:06:03 PM »

[/quote]

My alternative amendment which I am now proposing.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 02:49:07 AM »

I'm supporting Senator Talleyrand's amendment, because if a Senator can't open a thread in the Fantasy Government board, he can't post a LOA. So I'm supporting it.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 07:38:11 AM »

Amendment supported by me as well, makes the whole thing shorter and easier to work with.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 07:50:07 AM »

Just a question,
Does it get rid of the senate rules regarding expulsion?

(oh and senators have 36 hours to object)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 06:09:18 PM »

Windjammer's right here. Whatever else we do here (and I don't want to get too involved, this not really being about me) we need to change the expulsion part, because it refers exclusively to an office that no longer exists.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 01:59:25 PM »

My apologies about that.

Article VI, Clause 1 shall be amended to read:

Article VII shall be amended to read:

[/quote]

I withdraw my first amendment and introduce this one.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 05:25:30 PM »

Senators have 36 hours to object, amendment is friendly.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies