Opinion of the results of the 2000 US presidential election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:27:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the results of the 2000 US presidential election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Freedom Results (D)

Horrible Results (D)

Freedom Results (R)

Horrible Results (R)

Freedom Results (I)

Horrible Results (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Opinion of the results of the 2000 US presidential election  (Read 3265 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 06:10:30 PM »

Freedom results (R)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2015, 01:26:44 PM »

This.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2015, 03:22:49 PM »

Horrible Results (D, not an apologist for purging black people from the voter rolls or of 5-4 SCOTUS decisions to subvert democracy).

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2015, 04:34:11 PM »

Gore winning was a freedom result. Nader, Jeb, Harris, and the SCOTUS installing Dubya as president was quite obviously a horrible result.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2015, 06:30:13 PM »

My biggest problem in 2000 was with the Florida officials. They were both ignorant and foolish. They should have known the systems they went with that year weren't guaranteed to succeed and should have properly tested them better.  Plus they weren't prepared for what came afterwards. I guess it's true they needed to be the guinea pig for a situation like that but gee wiz.

Both the main party candidates did what they needed to do because they both felt like they were right in  the end and that was what needed to happen. Should it have made it to the court? Nope.

I always felt horrible for Nader after all of this. The man felt like he did what was right by running for what he believed in running for and he still gets attacked to this day for it. It's sad as hell really because in most angry Democrats pov he is the fault for Gore loosing. But the truth is not really. Yes he was a detriment but so was the other independent candidates in the two parties minds. They take away votes from the big parties and they can't handle it. However in hindsight it was Gore's mediocre campaign that did him in. IF he focused on TN or NH he would have won.

Nader should be left alone and the dems should let bygons be bygons.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2015, 07:24:20 AM »

FR, even though I despise Bush. However, it still angers me that Bush ran a bad campaign in the end. If he had done a better job, he might have won IA, OR, WI, NM and maybe even MN and PA. It would have been a landslide and quite funny to see Gore (muh centrist) losing the Dukakis states.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2015, 07:43:56 PM »

Horrible Results (D, not an apologist for purging black people from the voter rolls or of 5-4 SCOTUS decisions to subvert democracy).

Are you sure this is the 2000 election and not (any election before about 1968)?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2015, 08:54:48 PM »

FR, even though I despise Bush. However, it still angers me that Bush ran a bad campaign in the end. If he had done a better job, he might have won IA, OR, WI, NM and maybe even MN and PA. It would have been a landslide and quite funny to see Gore (muh centrist) losing the Dukakis states.
If Florida hadn't been called so early for Gore on Election Night, Bush probably would've carried all those states, except maybe Minnesota and Pennsylvania.  And although it would've made for a decisive Bush victory, it wouldn't have been a landslide.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 06:29:08 AM »

If Florida hadn't been called so early for Gore on Election Night, Bush probably would've carried all those states, except maybe Minnesota and Pennsylvania.  And although it would've made for a decisive Bush victory, it wouldn't have been a landslide.

Sure, but just looking at the map, it would have seemed like a landslide (especially to someone who isn't familiar with the EC):

Bush wins 334-204. FL could have been irrelevant had Bush ran a better campaign in the end or without that DUI scandal.

The DUI scandal had some effect, but considering how narrow the margins were in NM, OR, WI, and IA, it seems likely Bush would've carried those states with the scandal but without the call of Florida.  Without either one, he would have carried all four states by an even wider margin.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 02:34:32 PM »

Embarrassing.  Especially since the US then went on to use 'spreading democracy to those who have none' as one of the covers for its military foreign policy.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 02:49:59 PM »

You're a strange person.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 11:27:24 PM »

confusing
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2015, 07:17:33 PM »

The worst possible outcome (Gore winning the PV but Bush being awarded the Presidency). It only underscored the beliefs of working people and people of color that their votes didn't matter, more so than if Bush had won the PV. Had Gore won I believe there would have been no Iraq invasion and the region may be a bit more stable.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies