Obama blasts Warren on TPP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:09:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama blasts Warren on TPP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Obama blasts Warren on TPP  (Read 8043 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2015, 03:23:11 PM »

For saying it would unravel Dodd-Frank

"She’s absolutely wrong... She and I both taught law school, and you know, one of the things you do as a law professor is you spin out hypotheticals. And this is all hypothetical, speculative... The truth of the matter is that Elizabeth is, you know, a politician like everybody else"
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2015, 03:57:54 PM by RIP the NHS, RIP the BBC, RIP the UK »

Bravo Obama! Thank God we have a president who is bravely willing to stand up to both the teabagger far right and the professional left in this country. For the past seven years, you've just seen wave after wave of these nonsensical arguments from these bratty and entitled true leftists on the internet and now in Congress (on everything from Guantanamo to the NSA to the NDAA to Obamacare), and it's refreshing that Obama is finally willing to challenge these idiots. All they care about is symbolic battles, while Obama has been in the trenches for the past seven years actually doing concrete things to make this country better.

edit: I know that sounds angry and hyperbolic and I don't even really care that much about TPP, but "the left's" arguments against this have just been exhaustingly terrible and nothing but inflammatory fearmongering (SECRET DEALS!!!111! CORPORATIONS WILL SUE US!!!!11!). Imagine if the effort put into defeating this bill had been put into defending and promoting the Affordable Care Act. The American left is supposed to be reality-based and pragmatic, that is our greatest advantage over the frothing fascists on the other side of the aisle. But the reaction to the TPP has been embarrassing.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 05:00:18 PM »

Bravo Obama! Thank God we have a president who is bravely willing to stand up to both the teabagger far right and the professional left in this country. For the past seven years, you've just seen wave after wave of these nonsensical arguments from these bratty and entitled true leftists on the internet and now in Congress (on everything from Guantanamo to the NSA to the NDAA to Obamacare), and it's refreshing that Obama is finally willing to challenge these idiots. All they care about is symbolic battles, while Obama has been in the trenches for the past seven years actually doing concrete things to make this country better.

Hero worship is unhealthy.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 05:11:13 PM »

Heroine worship is just as unhealthy.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 05:12:30 PM »

Good on him. I also oppose the TPP but anything that takes Warren down a peg is fine by me.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 05:17:51 PM »

I agree.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 05:29:09 PM »

lol @ Warren. Get em, Obama!
James Monroe

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 06:01:32 PM »

The worst thing about the TPP is bad for other countries, not us, so it makes sense that most of the American opposition to it would be sort of nonsensical compared to opposition in, say, Japan.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 06:01:47 PM »

Democrats criticize the left, yet they can't manage a budget or run an economy. What purpose do they serve again? Landfill for all of the people who want to throw their votes away for a party with an ignoble, racist past?

Self-loathing Americans
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 06:48:22 PM »

So much for hope and change from Obama. Pathetic sellout.

Hope and change was a set of presidential policies? Huh
CountryClassSF

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 07:16:17 PM »

Why won't they let us read the bill?

In fact, only two US Senators have claimed to have even read the TPP bill, Sessions & Lee, and both plan to vote no.

Maybe it's time the left and right got together to oppose the screwing over of American workers.

When the public isn't permitted to read the bill, what is it that they don't want the public to see? http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/05/07/only-two-republicans-admit-they-actually-read-secret-obama-trade-deal-both-unsupportive/
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 07:49:45 PM »

I fully support our President on this issue.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 07:51:56 PM »

Why won't they let us read the bill?

In fact, only two US Senators have claimed to have even read the TPP bill, Sessions & Lee, and both plan to vote no.

Maybe it's time the left and right got together to oppose the screwing over of American workers.

When the public isn't permitted to read the bill, what is it that they don't want the public to see? http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/05/07/only-two-republicans-admit-they-actually-read-secret-obama-trade-deal-both-unsupportive/

Protectionism is not the answer, and that's why Obama told Warren to keep her trap shut.

We actively cripple our lower-middle class with high taxes and abundant lack of public services/benefits. We can't make China the whipping boy for the malfeasance of American liberal bureaucrats.

Cut taxes or reform our broken entitlement system to "spread the wealth around" (the real meaning of the phrase). Democrats who stand in the way need to be trampled under foot, and whether they like it or not, Democrats will have to broker deals and compromises with Americans who'd rather have a tax rebate than an inferior handout (based upon previous performance by entitlement administrators).

China is supposed to be a wake up call that international commercial competition has arrived. This is not an opportunity to start another great depression by stunting global trade.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 07:57:37 PM »

b-b-b-b-but I thought Obama was far left savior saving us from the evil far right neoliberal warmonger Hillary!

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 08:06:02 PM »

Obama had an event at Nike to promote offshoring.

b-b-b-b-but I thought Obama was far left savior saving us from the evil far right neoliberal warmonger Hillary!

No, we need a non neoliberal for once.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2015, 08:38:05 PM »

Obama had an event at Nike to promote offshoring.

No, we need a non neoliberal for once.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2015, 09:27:41 PM »

Trade is probably the single and only issue that I side with liberals on.

When elected representatives want to hide it from you, what other determination can one make than they don't want us to see it?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 10:01:09 PM »

Trade is probably the single and only issue that I side with liberals on.

When elected representatives want to hide it from you, what other determination can one make than they don't want us to see it?

Hey, I agree with CountryClassSF for once. I guess hard right and progressive left can agree on something.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2015, 10:10:45 PM »

Literally from the article that King linked in the first post of this thread:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2015, 10:38:09 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2015, 10:58:43 PM »

Yeah, usually when you negotiate things, those negotiations are private until you're done negotiating. Once there's a final document, it will be open to the public to read and scrutinize.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2015, 11:04:15 PM »

Unfortunate that Obama is being more aggressive towards the left than towards the right.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 11:21:18 PM »

I understand that in-progress negotiations can't really be public knowledge, but I really dislike the idea of Congress preemptively waiving substantive debate on something before it's finalized and released to the public
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 09:54:05 AM »

The best way with the protectionist crowd, is to give them lip service from time to time, but never, ever, give them anything of substance. It's sort of what the Pubs should do more with some elements of the social conservative base. Getting too far in bed with either is at once toxic from both a political and policy perspective.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies