Opinion of "first past the post" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:10:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of "first past the post" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ??
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Opinion of "first past the post"  (Read 1881 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 12, 2015, 03:42:15 PM »

Not sure what "FF" and "HP" mean, so I didn't vote. ;-)

I'd like to know member's opinions of IRV. I know it has its flaws too, and that Burlington, VT dropped it after experimenting with it for a few years. But it would end the concept of a "wasted vote". I am convinced for instance that every state had IRV in 2000, Gore would have "officially" won FL (because he was the second choice of more Nader voters than Bush, and neither candidate was over 50%) and the election.

Is "winner take all" the best way to elect? Isn't that the same as "first past the post"? If not IRV then what other system? One that most responsible voters could understand, that is.

Is there an IRV thread already?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »

Not sure what "FF" and "HP" mean, so I didn't vote. ;-)

I'd like to know member's opinions of IRV. I know it has its flaws too, and that Burlington, VT dropped it after experimenting with it for a few years. But it would end the concept of a "wasted vote". I am convinced for instance that every state had IRV in 2000, Gore would have "officially" won FL (because he was the second choice of more Nader voters than Bush, and neither candidate was over 50%) and the election.

Is "winner take all" the best way to elect? Isn't that the same as "first past the post"? If not IRV then what other system? One that most responsible voters could understand, that is.

Is there an IRV thread already?
I'm not sure about Gore winning with IRV; Nader voters supported Nader because they didn't like Gore to begin with. Who is to say that they wouldn't vote for the Natural Law Party as their second choice instead?
No one, least of all me. Minor party voters in any one particular election are often fickle, not voting for their candidate because they agree with the candidate's views; rather, as a protest vote. I think forced to pick a second choice, 40% of Nader voters would have picked Gore, 20% Bush, 10% someone else, and 30% no one. I'm not one of those people who insists that Nader took votes, one for one, from Gore. Still, I can't help but believe Gore was perhaps just a bit closer to Nader's view on the environment than Bush, and I think it reasonable to think Gore would have been the second choice of more Nader voters than Bush. In FL, with 90K Nader voters and Bush winning by 537, only a 1% differential is all it would have taken.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies