UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:38:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51
Author Topic: UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao  (Read 140995 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: March 25, 2017, 12:24:54 PM »

How about the Europe will give the UK lenient conditions of leaving, if the UK pledges restore capital punishment for the UKIP members solely?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1151 on: March 25, 2017, 01:22:20 PM »

How about the Europe will give the UK lenient conditions of leaving, if the UK pledges restore capital punishment for the UKIP members solely?

Well given that there aren't very many of them by now I'd say it's a fair deal.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1152 on: March 25, 2017, 01:24:54 PM »

UKIP has done its job now... it has gotten us out of the EU.

I think that's to confuse UKIP with Conservative backbenchers tbh...
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1153 on: March 25, 2017, 01:37:03 PM »

i am btw sick of people explaining that Brexit until now wasn't very damaging for the UK.....

brexit hasn't even started, so all bets are still off.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1154 on: March 25, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »

In not entirely shocking news, Douglas Carswell is resigning from UKIP.
Funny he doesn't think he floor crossing requires a by election now...

Anyway he has no future with the tories, maybe he should try forming a libertarian UK brand
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1155 on: March 25, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »

Anyway he has no future with the tories, maybe he should try forming a libertarian UK brand
I tweeted that to him and Daniel Hannan earlier.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1156 on: March 25, 2017, 02:00:47 PM »

Good luck holding Clacton on a libertarian platform lmao.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1157 on: March 25, 2017, 02:26:57 PM »

Can't think of any seat that a libertarian platform could carry. Maybe somewhere in the Tory Home Counties?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1158 on: March 25, 2017, 02:40:12 PM »

To be fair, he's not exactly floor-crossing - being a one-man party band in parliament is arguably little different to being an indie in practice.

One of my earliest holidays was in Clacton - 1999 I believe. I don't recall much pot-smoking or Ayn Rand-reading going on, although I was only 5 at the time.

vileplume
« Reply #1159 on: March 26, 2017, 05:06:51 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2017, 05:17:23 AM by vileplume »

Can't think of any seat that a libertarian platform could carry. Maybe somewhere in the Tory Home Counties?

Not in first past the post. But in a more proportional system a Libertarian Party would do best in the hyper-capitalist parts of inner London e.g. parts of Westminster, Wandsworth and Fulham (Kensington and Chelsea is probably too patrician/aristocratic) and the very wealthy more socially liberal parts of the Home Counties e.g. St Albans.
vileplume
« Reply #1160 on: March 26, 2017, 05:23:21 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2017, 05:28:11 AM by vileplume »

UKIP has done its job now... it has gotten us out of the EU.

only hypothetically - practically they could never ever have done it without mental support in big parts of the tories and the working-class base of labour.

the logical result of decades of british anti-eu propaganda and framing. Tongue

UKIP's main achievement was scaring the Tories into holding a vote in the first place (which was a pretty big achievement).

Like or loathe UKIP (most loathe) it's undeniable they, especially Nigel Farage, have earned a major place in the history books even if their vote now disintegrates.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1161 on: March 28, 2017, 04:45:54 PM »

Hasn't he already basically done so? "Libertarian" being used very flexibly?
Angel of Death
« Reply #1162 on: March 29, 2017, 06:35:50 AM »

It's official:

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1163 on: March 29, 2017, 08:34:29 AM »

YouGov poll asking people about things that could be reinstated following Brexit: http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/tl8kg6q3i9/InternalResults_170222_AfterBrexit_W.pdf

Death penalty at 36% support...must be the lowest ever, surely?
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #1164 on: March 29, 2017, 09:36:16 AM »

YouGov poll asking people about things that could be reinstated following Brexit: http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/tl8kg6q3i9/InternalResults_170222_AfterBrexit_W.pdf

It's Britain's membership of the ECHR not the EU that precludes the return of the rope, and I think May will have a tougher time pulling Britain out of that.

this is the result of 44 years of right wing press saying that the EEC/EU is the source of all that is "wrong" with Britain. what about the rest:

imperial measures are fairly commonly used in parallel with metric and I don't see that changing any time soon, plenty of things still come in standard sized packs of 454g

smoking ban is completely unrelated to the EU, I was on a site visit in Germany last week and they had smoking areas inside factories and warehouses

Blue Passports, literally a symbolic gesture, no harm in it if it makes people happy,  the insides will still conform to more or less the same standards anyway

£.s.d was replaced before we joined the EU and the Dominions decimalised of their own accord in the 60's

incandescent bulbs: 33% of Ukip voters want to willfully use a less efficient product just..because?

corporal punishment: the ECHR ruled that it isn't a human rights violation as late as 1993, 11 years after British Laws Passed at Wetminster ended it in state schools
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1165 on: March 29, 2017, 09:41:58 AM »

It's Britain's membership of the ECHR not the EU that precludes the return of the rope, and I think May will have a tougher time pulling Britain out of that.

this is the result of 44 years of right wing press saying that the EEC/EU is the source of all that is "wrong" with Britain. what about the rest:

imperial measures are fairly commonly used in parallel with metric and I don't see that changing any time soon, plenty of things still come in standard sized packs of 454g

smoking ban is completely unrelated to the EU, I was on a site visit in Germany last week and they had smoking areas inside factories and warehouses

Blue Passports, literally a symbolic gesture, no harm in it if it makes people happy,  the insides will still conform to more or less the same standards anyway

£.s.d was replaced before we joined the EU and the Dominions decimalised of their own accord in the 60's

incandescent bulbs: 33% of Ukip voters want to willfully use a less efficient product just..because?

corporal punishment: the ECHR ruled that it isn't a human rights violation as late as 1993, 11 years after British Laws Passed at Wetminster ended it in state schools

They could bring back a functioning opposition. I do get nostalgic about that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1166 on: March 29, 2017, 06:18:21 PM »

Well, the next two years are gonna be fun.

FTR, if I had to make up a pun for the title it would be "May or May not". Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1167 on: March 30, 2017, 06:21:16 AM »

Wow, maybe I've been out of touch with this issue, but I can't remember a poll with majority against death penalty.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1168 on: March 30, 2017, 08:36:08 AM »

Very interesting article from the pollster John Curtice:

Do Scots really back Sturgeon over Brexit? The polls suggest not

Nicola Sturgeon disagrees profoundly with Theresa May about Brexit. Behind this disagreement lies a presumption – that whatever voters in England and Wales might want out of Brexit, people in Scotland want something very different.

Yet to date little effort has been made to check out this assumption by asking voters in Scotland what kind of Brexit they would like to see. New research published today by NatCen Social Research finally does so – and makes rather sober reading for Scotland’s first minister.

It turns out that Scots are not so keen on freedom of movement after all. As many as 64% believe that, post-Brexit, anyone from the EU who wishes to live in Britain should have to apply to do so in the same way as anyone from outside the EU. Even more, 72%, think that the same rule should apply to any British citizen who wants to go and live in the EU.

That is not to say that Sturgeon has misread voters’ mood entirely. No fewer than 93% express support for allowing EU companies to trade freely in Britain and for ensuring that British companies are able to do trade equally freely across the EU. Even leave voters think this would be a perfectly sensible outcome. But of course what this does mean is that what voters in Scotland want out of Brexit is closer to what the prime minister has in mind than Sturgeon’s vision of what should happen – that is, ending freedom of movement but securing an “ambitious and comprehensive free trade agreement”. It also means, by the way, that attitudes towards Brexit in Scotland are very similar to those in the rest of the UK.

It is, thus, perhaps not surprising that there is relatively little support for the Scottish government’s idea that Scotland might have a closer relationship with the EU even while still being part of the UK.

Between them, these findings raise severe doubts about the wisdom of the Scottish government’s decision to turn a disagreement about what Brexit should mean into the crux of an argument as to why Scotland should have a second opportunity to back leaving the UK. The level of commitment to the EU in Scotland may be broad but it is also seemingly too shallow for Brexit to be an issue that is likely to change many minds about the merits of independence. Even among those who were already in favour of leaving the UK in the first independence referendum, just over three in five would like to see an end to freedom of movement.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/30/scots-back-sturgeon-brexit-polls
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1169 on: March 30, 2017, 09:39:01 PM »

Sturgeon ought to wait and see if it'll be a hard Brexit or a soft Brexit.  A hard Brexit would make Scottish independence more likely.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #1170 on: March 30, 2017, 09:43:39 PM »

Sturgeon ought to wait and see if it'll be a hard Brexit or a soft Brexit.  A hard Brexit would make Scottish independence more likely.
Yeah. The Scottish Government wish to hold a referendum in eighteen months to two years - ie after a deal has been completed, but before the UK actually exits the European Union. Although there is a risk that the UK gets a soft Brexit and the vote goes No as a result - effectively killing the independence movement until at least after the 2026 Scottish Parliamentary election.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1171 on: March 31, 2017, 07:42:27 AM »

atm i can't see how a soft brexit could happen, if we take the current positions and promises and follow them to the logical conclusion.

the UK isn't switzerland, which can just change its positions a few years later and forget it has ever happened.

and to be fair...there is overall NO reason at all for the EU to offer london conditions which are MORE favourable than the ones under which the EU operates with norway/iceland.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1172 on: March 31, 2017, 10:31:56 AM »

You would think so, but note that a hard Brexit + Scottish Independence = a 'hard border' at Berwick.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1173 on: April 01, 2017, 04:44:57 PM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1174 on: April 01, 2017, 04:53:29 PM »

Foot is outfooted.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51  
« previous next »