UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:15:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 51
Author Topic: UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao  (Read 140725 times)
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2015, 01:26:37 PM »

New Wankers Party is close enough
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2015, 01:45:34 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-32849065

Related to the collation government - by-election in Orkney & Shetland?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2015, 01:57:34 PM »

So she did say it then. Nicola Clegg?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2015, 02:04:55 PM »

It's not really a resign-your-seat matter (i.e. as it was just the leaking of eighth hand gossip and not even a proper smear or anything), even if it would most certainly be a resign-your-ministerial-post matter (i.e. because he was amateurish enough to caught caught. Christ, he was amateurish enough to get as good as caught by logical deduction even before the inquiry reported).
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »

It's not really a resign-your-seat matter (i.e. as it was just the leaking of eighth hand gossip and not even a proper smear or anything), even if it would most certainly be a resign-your-ministerial-post matter (i.e. because he was amateurish enough to caught caught. Christ, he was amateurish enough to get as good as caught by logical deduction even before the inquiry reported).
He denied that he was the source of the leak - leading to a £1.4m investigation, to find that he was the source of the leak. I wonder if he would've been elected if he'd said he leaked it before the election - his majority is only 800(ish).

I think he should resign from his seat - it was a confidential memo that was leaked.

I think the people of the Northern Isles should be able to recall him, should they feel it appropriate.

It's unclear if she did - both the French consul-general and Sturgeon say the memo wasn't accurate. The consul-general believes that it's been lost in translation.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »

It's unclear if she did - both the French consul-general and Sturgeon say the memo wasn't accurate. The consul-general believes that it's been lost in translation.

And Carmichael admitted it was inaccurate, according to the link. It's curious as to whether he knew the contents were inaccurate.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2015, 06:16:49 PM »

He denied that he was the source of the leak - leading to a £1.4m investigation, to find that he was the source of the leak. I wonder if he would've been elected if he'd said he leaked it before the election - his majority is only 800(ish).

I think he should resign from his seat - it was a confidential memo that was leaked.

If politicians were to resign their seats every time that they leaked something... oh dear Smiley

Don't get me wrong here: I'm not defending him! It was a moronic decision - almost certainly counterproductive actually - and he deserves all the embarrassment and opprobrium that has come to him as a result.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2015, 12:49:21 PM »

Carmichael isn't getting his ministerial severance package; given that it's over £30k that's a fair old fine for being an idiot. Deserved as well.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2015, 02:36:46 PM »

A group of people from Orkney and Shetland going to court over the issue - to try and get the election result overturned.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-people-versus-carmichael#/story
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2015, 02:51:18 PM »

On what basis?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2015, 03:05:49 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2015, 03:15:46 PM by Clyde1998 »

Breach of election rules:

"4.42 - It is an illegal practice to make or publish a false statement of fact about the personal character or conduct of a candidate in order to affect the return of a candidate at an election."

"4.43 - If a candidate is elected and then an election court finds them or their election agent guilty under this provision, their election shall be void."

"4.44 - Election campaign material is also subject to general restrictions of the civil law. Election material that constitutes libel is liable to legal action."
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2015, 03:29:36 PM »

Yeah, that's ... tenuous. Haven't the SNP's online lynch mobs got anything better to do?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2015, 03:59:02 PM »

Yeah, that's ... tenuous. Haven't the SNP's online lynch mobs got anything better to do?
They're not SNP supporters, but they are people living in Orkney and Shetland.

It'll be interesting to see what happens though. Especially, if they win the case...
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2015, 04:38:11 PM »

It'll be interesting to see what happens though. Especially, if they win the case...

I don't actually know for certain if the people behind the position are members of the SNP, but if they are, they have a vested interest in pretending to be non partisan outraged locals, so I'd take the words on the fundraising page with a tonne of salt.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2015, 04:57:17 PM »

I don't actually know for certain if the people behind the position are members of the SNP, but if they are, they have a vested interest in pretending to be non partisan outraged locals, so I'd take the words on the fundraising page with a tonne of salt.

Shhh

Everything is a Nationalist/Sinn Fein/SDLP, SNP lynch mob. Knowing that is how you delegitimise legitimate expression when faced with home nation nationalism within the British context stand up for the democratic process.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2015, 10:10:19 AM »

Worked with Phil Woolas last time. Well, Labour did win the by-election, but still...

(Oh and Galloway's trying the same thing himself)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2015, 02:22:55 PM »

hahaha Cheesy
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2015, 06:26:49 PM »

Worked with Phil Woolas last time.

Completely different situation: he included knowingly and provably false claims on his official election literature.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2015, 10:24:29 PM »

Photoshop?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2015, 03:50:34 AM »

I think it is, but maybe @AngrySalmond has turned up. He's wearing the correct colour tie...
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2015, 10:39:56 AM »

You know, there's a certain irony in Sir Gerald Kaufman becoming Father of the House.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2015, 12:36:17 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-32930488

Carmichael petition has been "lodged at the Court of Session in Edinburgh in the name of four [Northern] islanders."
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2015, 12:57:46 PM »

Worked with Phil Woolas last time. Well, Labour did win the by-election, but still...

(Oh and Galloway's trying the same thing himself)

The Woolas case succeeded because the Woolas campaign was found to have breached "It is an illegal practice to make or publish a false statement of fact about the personal character or conduct of a candidate in order to affect the return of a candidate at an election" where the candidate in question was Woolas's Lib Dem opponent in his constituency.  This seems very different, as Nicola Sturgeon wasn't a candidate in Orkney & Shetland, or indeed anywhere else, in this election, so smearing her doesn't come under the law.

Supposedly it's being suggested that in fact the candidate of whom "a false statement of fact about the personal character or conduct" was made was Carmichael himself, in saying that he wasn't involved in the leak.  At this point I'm just going to say that I'm not a lawyer...
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2015, 06:15:02 AM »

YouGov have finally worked up the nerve to publish a new VI poll: Con 41, Lab 30, UKIP 13, Lib Dems 7, Greens 4

Seems that UKIP's very public 'issues' since the election haven't harmed them much.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2015, 07:53:39 AM »

YouGov have finally worked up the nerve to publish a new VI poll: Con 41, Lab 30, UKIP 13, Lib Dems 7, Greens 4

Seems that UKIP's very public 'issues' since the election haven't harmed them much.
There seems to be quite large movement in the Scotland sub-samples - although we won't know if this is an actual shift or just sub-sample errors until the first full scale Scotland poll.

YouGov/Scotland Sub-sample:
SNP - 56% (+6%)
Lab - 20% (-4%)
Con - 15% (N/C)
Lib - 5% (-3%)
Ukip - 3% (+1%)
Grn - 1% (N/C)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies