UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:50:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 51
Author Topic: UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao  (Read 140542 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: June 26, 2016, 01:26:19 PM »

BBC: Nicola Sturgeon says MSPs at Holyrood could veto Brexit
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #701 on: June 26, 2016, 01:29:55 PM »

This Scotland veto thing was refuted earlier already.

I feel Watson orchestrated this somehow (and good for him), tomorrow will be Corbyn's judgement day.

So far 10 resigned from the shadow cabinet and 1 sacked, can't see Corbs filling those vacancies fast enough. Unite's big mouth is talking about deselection of rebellious MPs. I hope the PLP stick to Corbyn in the vote with more than 75% giving him the boot
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #702 on: June 26, 2016, 01:46:29 PM »

You have to say that Dan Jarvis looks incredibly good on paper; in a post-Brexit world most will see the need for STRONG LEADERSHIP and Jarvis is a former Army Major. Also he's not tarnished by any frontbench experience.

On the other hand he's only been in Parliament for five years. Not that that matters to anybody any more.

My feeling is a soft-Left or old-school Right veteran MP with a strong personality and some frontbench experience but nothing terribly high-profile would be ideal, but I can't tell whether I just think that because of wishful thinking or not.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #703 on: June 26, 2016, 02:29:33 PM »

I feel Watson orchestrated this somehow (and good for him), tomorrow will be Corbyn's judgement day.

Definitely organised by someone, but from the way it's happened through the day doubt it was planned for right now. And definitely wasn't if Watson was involved given that he was out of town at the time. Corbyn firing Benn at like 1am seems to have kicked everything off.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #704 on: June 26, 2016, 03:05:10 PM »

I'm rather surprised that Burnham is sticking behind Corbyn right now. I think that maybe this shows Jeremy's got a fighting chance at surviving?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #705 on: June 26, 2016, 03:08:27 PM »

I'm rather surprised that Burnham is sticking behind Corbyn right now. I think that maybe this shows Jeremy's got a fighting chance at surviving?

Not all- Andy is running for Mayor of Manchester and needs to win a Labour Primary. As someone who voted/worked for Andy it's fair enough to say that he took the cowardly option here.

BTW 6 hours ago I'd be happy with Watson killing Corbyn- but word in the party is that Watson is using this to get the party to deliver the leadership to himself- I'd much rather Dan Jarvis run
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #706 on: June 26, 2016, 03:55:55 PM »

Lessons to those in the Labour party just how you sort out a coup (After years of failing; 2006, 2008,2009,2014)

Being the labour nerd I am I'd love to see how this was planned (and sure it's being written/saved) Clearly they've been told to resign 1 an hour (First resignation at 8:19 am, 12th at 9:45) Have managed to dominate news agenda all day
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #707 on: June 26, 2016, 04:02:32 PM »

I'm interested in who (if anybody in the immediate term) will take Ian Murray's position, as he's the only Scottish Labour MP left.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #708 on: June 26, 2016, 04:08:48 PM »

Chris Bryant has gone and written a barnstormer of a resignation letter.

Seriously, it's like the Red Wedding tonight.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #709 on: June 26, 2016, 04:10:07 PM »

I'm interested in who (if anybody in the immediate term) will take Ian Murray's position, as he's the only Scottish Labour MP left.

That sort of thing has never stopped the Tories before.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #710 on: June 26, 2016, 04:14:10 PM »

We're going to have all the unknown junior ministers resigning tomorrow (with 5 at 7.45am) They're are '30' set to go, which isn't that much since each Position (e.g Health) has a team of 3-4 Junior ministers. Most likely they'll work to coordinate it around Corbyn's attempts to re-do a Cabinet reshuffle/

I'm struggling to see how Corbyn can continue here; most people I know who voted for him have given up.

Time for Dan   
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #711 on: June 26, 2016, 04:18:42 PM »

We're going to have all the unknown junior ministers resigning tomorrow (with 5 at 7.45am) They're are '30' set to go, which isn't that much since each Position (e.g Health) has a team of 3-4 Junior ministers. Most likely they'll work to coordinate it around Corbyn's attempts to re-do a Cabinet reshuffle/

I'm struggling to see how Corbyn can continue here; most people I know who voted for him have given up.

Time for Dan John.

Indeed.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #712 on: June 26, 2016, 04:26:33 PM »

Link?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #713 on: June 26, 2016, 04:28:00 PM »

Link?

Here
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #714 on: June 26, 2016, 04:39:56 PM »

Time for Dan John.

Indeed.

It will not be McDonnell.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #715 on: June 26, 2016, 05:51:32 PM »

Dan Jarvis is an empty suit, and I'm not saying that because I'm a raging lefty, it's just he has no opinions and might as well have been closed in a lab to fit the specifications of what a certain breed of journalist (i.e. the one who patronisingly tries to "understand the working class) thinks is needed. He's our version of Marco Rubio, in that respect.

Corbyn needs to be ushered out with some sort of mutual respect. Infighting and this stupid grandstanding is really not helping the party.

I used to think McDonell was going to be Corbyn's ushered in successor because (Mao aside) he's been a lot better in his role than we might have expected knowing his history. Not sure now, seeing that Bryant called out him as well.

In conclusion:
E
D

M
I
L
I
B
A
N
D
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #716 on: June 26, 2016, 06:00:07 PM »

Or he's waiting to plunge his knife in when it will do the most damage.
vileplume
« Reply #717 on: June 26, 2016, 06:25:25 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2016, 06:27:51 PM by vileplume »

Or he's waiting to plunge his knife in when it will do the most damage.

No as Senator Blair said Burnham is concerned that joining this coup will wreck his chances of winning the Labour Primary for the Greater Manchester Metro Mayor. He's thinking about his future career plain and simple. If he instead thought helping to topple Corbyn was in his political best interest you can be totally sure he would have thrown Corbyn under the bus without a second thought.

As for whether it gives Corbyn a better survival chance I'm not sure but keeping a senior cabinet minister can do no harm even though it is for entirely the wrong reasons.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #718 on: June 26, 2016, 06:37:26 PM »

The key thing to note is the list of people who have not resigned. Not just Burnham; there are some obviously ambitious people who have stayed put today.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #719 on: June 26, 2016, 06:43:04 PM »

The key thing to note is the list of people who have not resigned. Not just Burnham; there are some obviously ambitious people who have stayed put today.

Which ones did so because they think this increases their chances to replace Corbyn?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #720 on: June 26, 2016, 07:10:34 PM »

I cannot claim to see into people's souls. But everyone knows that Owen Smith and Lisa Nandy do not want for ambition. Neither do the Eagle sisters. Or presumably Ashworth. Burnham and Berger are both running for those silly new Metro Mayor posts. O/c this assumes no further quittings.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #721 on: June 27, 2016, 02:44:50 AM »

Hard to believe that a Brexit result, at least in the immediate, would cause more chaos among Labour than the Tories... Oh well, hopefully Labour sorts out their issues quickly and leaves time for Tories to jump at each other's throats in the next few months.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #722 on: June 27, 2016, 02:48:03 AM »

Hard to believe that a Brexit result, at least in the immediate, would cause more chaos among Labour than the Tories... Oh well, hopefully Labour sorts out their issues quickly and leaves time for Tories to jump at each other's throats in the next few months.

You shouldn't be too hopeful. If there is one thing political history shows us, it's that the left is far much more prone to fight among themselves than the center-right is. 
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #723 on: June 27, 2016, 03:09:42 AM »

You shouldn't be too hopeful. If there is one thing political history shows us, it's that the left is far much more prone to fight among themselves than the center-right is.  

Not in this country - the Tories have couped (or attempted to) far more leaders than Labour. With Labour it rarely goes beyond the handful of whiney backbenchers.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #724 on: June 27, 2016, 03:15:29 AM »

Least surprising aspect of this whole disaster, tbh.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies