UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:31:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 51
Author Topic: UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao  (Read 139804 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: June 27, 2016, 03:44:41 AM »

Hard to believe that a Brexit result, at least in the immediate, would cause more chaos among Labour than the Tories... Oh well, hopefully Labour sorts out their issues quickly and leaves time for Tories to jump at each other's throats in the next few months.

You shouldn't be too hopeful. If there is one thing political history shows us, it's that the left is far much more prone to fight among themselves than the center-right is. 

Not in this country - the Tories have couped (or attempted to) far more leaders than Labour. With Labour it rarely goes beyond the handful of whiney backbenchers.

Oh right, I must have dreamed that whole thing about the Gaitskell-wing fighting the Bevan-wing for more than a decade, or the gang of four breaking away and starting their whole new party, and so on... Yeah Labour has basically never fought internally for long periods of time causing them to loose out on power for several successiv terms. Roll Eyes

With the exception of the 90's and the Conservative divide over Europe, Labour has been far more divided and fixated on fighting among themselves than the Tories. Sure the Tories might have had more coups, but after they're done with them they quite quickly unite again. In Labour on the other hand they seen to hold their grudges for decades.

Similarly I expect the Tories to fight for a bit up until Boris is elected, after which he gives Theresa May and a few other remainers senior positions in the cabinet and the party quickly unite and move on with politics as usual, whereas Labour might be headed for a long civil war between their Corbynite left-wing grassroots and their Blairite MP:s.     
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #726 on: June 27, 2016, 04:11:41 AM »

It pretty clearly has caused chaos within the Tories. Just that right now its off stage chaos. Labour were in chaos before; things have just been brought to a head.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #727 on: June 27, 2016, 04:46:55 AM »

BREAKING: Tom Watson tells Jez to resign.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #728 on: June 27, 2016, 06:57:15 AM »

Hard to believe that a Brexit result, at least in the immediate, would cause more chaos among Labour than the Tories... Oh well, hopefully Labour sorts out their issues quickly and leaves time for Tories to jump at each other's throats in the next few months.

You shouldn't be too hopeful. If there is one thing political history shows us, it's that the left is far much more prone to fight among themselves than the center-right is. 

Not in this country - the Tories have couped (or attempted to) far more leaders than Labour. With Labour it rarely goes beyond the handful of whiney backbenchers.

Oh right, I must have dreamed that whole thing about the Gaitskell-wing fighting the Bevan-wing for more than a decade, or the gang of four breaking away and starting their whole new party, and so on... Yeah Labour has basically never fought internally for long periods of time causing them to loose out on power for several successiv terms. Roll Eyes

With the exception of the 90's and the Conservative divide over Europe, Labour has been far more divided and fixated on fighting among themselves than the Tories. Sure the Tories might have had more coups, but after they're done with them they quite quickly unite again. In Labour on the other hand they seen to hold their grudges for decades.

Similarly I expect the Tories to fight for a bit up until Boris is elected, after which he gives Theresa May and a few other remainers senior positions in the cabinet and the party quickly unite and move on with politics as usual, whereas Labour might be headed for a long civil war between their Corbynite left-wing grassroots and their Blairite MP:s.     

Well okay yes, but arguably a lot of Labour's divisions can be blamed on their incompetence at couping. Actually the same can be said of the 1990s/early 00s Tory divisions - when they failed to coup Major, but the divisions effectively ended when IDS was knifed in a quick and brutal fashion.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #729 on: June 27, 2016, 07:00:02 AM »

By the way, if Corbyn survives today then we might end up seeing a long-held wish of mine - the MP for Bolsover on the front bench. Tbh there won't be many other choices......
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #730 on: June 27, 2016, 07:02:59 AM »

Boris now says the vote to leave was "not entirely overwhelming" and Gove wants the exit talks to be informal.

They're  beginning to realise what exactly they've done and they're terrified.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #731 on: June 27, 2016, 07:05:37 AM »

By the way, if Corbyn survives today then we might end up seeing a long-held wish of mine - the MP for Bolsover on the front bench. Tbh there won't be many other choices......

*Nia Griffith* has gone ffs I mean... Jesus. She's old school Welsh Labour Left.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #732 on: June 27, 2016, 07:07:51 AM »

Boris now says the vote to leave was "not entirely overwhelming" and Gove wants the exit talks to be informal.

Plan Boris was obviously for a narrow Remain vote and for him to then ride the coattails of anger amongst Tory members in the Shires to no. 10.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #733 on: June 27, 2016, 07:12:22 AM »

Plan Boris was obviously for a narrow Remain vote and for him to then ride the coattails of anger amongst Tory members in the Shires to no. 10.

Plan UKIP was the same.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #734 on: June 27, 2016, 07:23:55 AM »

Plan UKIP was the same.

Hey everyone we won! Oh fyck...
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #735 on: June 27, 2016, 08:12:33 AM »

I mean that was pretty obvious, someone expecting and hoping to win wouldn't concede within fifteen minutes of the polls closing like Farage did...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #736 on: June 27, 2016, 09:12:52 AM »

Tbh Chris Byrant should run for leader- the captain underpants incident actually helped him, he's a good media performer and a smart bloke.

Was surprised to see Nandy, Owen Smith and Healey all resign this morning. As this coup showed this is nothing to do with the 'blairites'. Both Smith and Nandy ruled themselves out as leader, meaning it's going to be one of the following in the leadership challenge (most likely on Wednesday)

Tom Watson- Only one who could swing the unions behind him, and by-far the strongest (His deputy leadership bid last summer imo was more impressive than Corbyn's victory)
Angela Eagle- From the soft left, 'adept' media performer but nothing special.
Yvetter Cooper- the Michael Howard of the Party.

For the record even in infighting this is a record for Labour- even the plots in the 50's and 80's were generally around a single Conference and were factional (in the same way the Blair/Brown was) This plot is the basically the entire party (minus the unions) against the Maomentum
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #737 on: June 27, 2016, 09:44:54 AM »

Chris Bryant would be good, he always comes across well in the media. I like Tom Watson as well, he has a lot of Old Labour about him.

Stella Creasy would also be a good one, she has some fairly interesting ideas outside of the old left v right dogmas; although seeing as she has become a figure of hate for Momentum, I doubt she would get anywhere.

I imagine Chukka would be tempted to stand for real this time.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #738 on: June 27, 2016, 10:07:55 AM »

Skinner has just been a really prominent backbencher all this time?
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #739 on: June 27, 2016, 10:09:28 AM »

They're  beginning to realise what exactly they've done and they're terrified.

What does he do now? Either he becomes PM and starts article 50 and all the economic uncertainty and probable doom that comes with it. Or he decides to sit out the leadership race and gets exposed as an opportunistic charlatan.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #740 on: June 27, 2016, 11:10:16 AM »

They're  beginning to realise what exactly they've done and they're terrified.

What does he do now? Either he becomes PM and starts article 50 and all the economic uncertainty and probable doom that comes with it. Or he decides to sit out the leadership race and gets exposed as an opportunistic charlatan.

I mean, if he has any decency left in him, he will retire from politics NOW.

Of course, he will not.
Angel of Death
« Reply #741 on: June 27, 2016, 12:15:39 PM »

This is what everybody is saying right now, but what I just can't understand. How could anyone supporting a losing side of a referendum immediately be in a good position to become the next Prime Minister?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #742 on: June 27, 2016, 12:20:51 PM »

This is what everybody is saying right now, but what I just can't understand. How could anyone supporting a losing side of a referendum immediately be in a good position to become the next Prime Minister?

You ever met part of the Blue Rinse Brigade? These people basically run off bile. And sherry.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #743 on: June 27, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »

Only had a junior role as a Shadow Transport Minister, but Richard Burden (B'ham Northfield) is indicative: he's very left wing. And now he's gone too.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #744 on: June 27, 2016, 12:45:01 PM »

By becoming the leader of an important - and possibly difficult to control - segment of the party.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #745 on: June 27, 2016, 12:52:49 PM »

God Corbyn's new Cabinet is awful- not only made up of Corbyn hacks, but also off my quick numbers 50-60% is from the 2015 intake. I can't see how this Cabinet is going to get through a GE
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #746 on: June 27, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »

standard and poor have downgraded our credit rating two notches to AA
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #747 on: June 27, 2016, 01:21:28 PM »

Bizarre: apparently Angela Eagle requested a one-to-one meeting with Corbyn and only resigned when she had not had a response 24hrs later. What on earth is going on?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #748 on: June 27, 2016, 01:54:20 PM »

The Maomentum rally appears strong outside parliament- although it's filled with SWP placards. My hope (which was 100% wrong last summer) is that Corbynites will be loud, but party members could swing the leadership race.

I'm already seeing Angela Eagle being called a Blairite
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #749 on: June 27, 2016, 02:33:21 PM »

The Maomentum rally appears strong outside parliament- although it's filled with SWP placards. My hope (which was 100% wrong last summer) is that Corbynites will be loud, but party members could swing the leadership race.

I'm already seeing Angela Eagle being called a Blairite

Very Sandernista. It's catching.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies