UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:03:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 51
Author Topic: UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao  (Read 140626 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: June 27, 2016, 02:38:48 PM »

Dan Jarvis is an empty suit, and I'm not saying that because I'm a raging lefty, it's just he has no opinions and might as well have been closed in a lab to fit the specifications of what a certain breed of journalist (i.e. the one who patronisingly tries to "understand the working class) thinks is needed. He's our version of Marco Rubio, in that respect.

Now, THAT's devastating.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #751 on: June 27, 2016, 02:43:25 PM »

God Corbyn's new Cabinet is awful- not only made up of Corbyn hacks, but also off my quick numbers 50-60% is from the 2015 intake. I can't see how this Cabinet is going to get through a GE

I've literally never heard of any of these people.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #752 on: June 27, 2016, 03:01:59 PM »

Laura Kuensberg has just floated the possibility of Mandelson running for leader.

I suppose he might stand a chance of winning, if his opponents were Margaret Thatcher and Nigel Farage...

I mean, say what you want about Corbynistas, but Kuenssberg could at least try to pretend to be impartial, couldn't she?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #753 on: June 27, 2016, 03:10:52 PM »

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #754 on: June 27, 2016, 03:34:35 PM »

So when is this confidence voting taking place? I thought it was today. What gives?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #755 on: June 27, 2016, 04:07:52 PM »

So when is this confidence voting taking place? I thought it was today. What gives?

Tomorrow. At 2pm, I think.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #756 on: June 27, 2016, 04:30:40 PM »

I wonder why Corbyn's did try to sway EdM back to the shadow cabinet, it could show some stability and experience in pretty dodgy forum
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #757 on: June 27, 2016, 04:32:37 PM »

http://www.politico.eu/article/inside-account-of-labour-mps-attacks-on-jeremy-corbyn-shadow-cabinet-resignations-brexit/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #758 on: June 27, 2016, 04:37:30 PM »

I wonder why Corbyn's did try to sway EdM back to the shadow cabinet, it could show some stability and experience in pretty dodgy forum
Just make him leader again tbh
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #759 on: June 27, 2016, 04:40:44 PM »

Just make him leader again tbh

This!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #760 on: June 27, 2016, 04:40:59 PM »

Laura Kuensberg has just floated the possibility of Mandelson running for leader.

I suppose he might stand a chance of winning, if his opponents were Margaret Thatcher and Nigel Farage...

I mean, say what you want about Corbynistas, but Kuenssberg could at least try to pretend to be impartial, couldn't she?

That was a fake account- she's not that stupid
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #761 on: June 27, 2016, 04:43:29 PM »

FTR the Labour Party is facing a Trump moment; a leader who the party know isn't fit to be PM, who lacks the support of the leadership, and who's electoral strategy is 'let's hold huge rallies'

As a Labour member since I was 16, and someone who's dedicated too much time to the party I'd struggle to vote for Corbyn if there was an early election in October
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #762 on: June 27, 2016, 05:21:57 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2016, 12:37:21 AM by Poo-tee-weet? »

Doesn't the leader of the Labour Party have to be in the Commons?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #763 on: June 27, 2016, 11:11:35 PM »

So... what's the likelihood of the Lib Dems picking up some disenchanted Labourites as a result of this chaos?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #764 on: June 28, 2016, 12:29:32 AM »

So... what's the likelihood of the Lib Dems picking up some disenchanted Labourites as a result of this chaos?
If the Lib Dems have their way, next to none. They currently seem to be intent on competing in the "Who's the Least Electable" party category.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #765 on: June 28, 2016, 12:55:34 AM »

Jeremy Corbyn is a lot like Bernie Sanders has bought into his own hype rather than doing what is right.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #766 on: June 28, 2016, 02:30:24 AM »

If Corbyn stands in the General Election with this current cabinet I'd struggle to vote Labour
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #767 on: June 28, 2016, 04:47:34 AM »

Oh great, Labour is going back on the full suicide mode.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #768 on: June 28, 2016, 06:10:56 AM »

Merkel:

'We will make sure that negotiations will not be carried out as a cherry-picking exercise. There must be and there will be a palpable difference between those countries who want to be members of the European family and those who don’t ...

Whoever wants to leave this family cannot expect to shed all its responsibilities but keep the privileges ...

Those for example, who want free access to the single market will in return have to respect European basic rights and freedoms ... That’s true for GB just as much as for the others.

Free acccess to the single market is granted to those who accept the four basic European freedoms - that of people, goods, services and capital .Norway for instance is not a member of the European Union but has access to the single market because it accepts open migration from the European Union.'

Hello Schengen!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #769 on: June 28, 2016, 06:39:23 AM »

I don't think Merkel's strategy here is going to be very helpful for her or for the EU long-term.  At least, she's not repairing the image that exists in some minds of the EU as an "evil, anti-democratic organization."  Not if she makes the UK endure 2+ years of economic turmoil as 'punishment' for leaving.  But I guess in the end, there are no winners here.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #770 on: June 28, 2016, 06:49:25 AM »

Oh, and a couple questions.  Suppose that Scotland does hold a second independence referendum and it passes.  Does Labour have any realistic shot at retaking the Commons in the next decade without Scotland?  Does Labour have any chance at winning a full majority now with the Scottish left almost exclusively behind the SNP?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #771 on: June 28, 2016, 07:54:03 AM »

Oh, and a couple questions.  Suppose that Scotland does hold a second independence referendum and it passes.  Does Labour have any realistic shot at retaking the Commons in the next decade without Scotland?

I don't see why not.  In all of the Blair victories, for example, Labour won a majority by a margin larger than the total number of seats in Scotland.  Why couldn't they (eventually) rebound back to that level of support?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #772 on: June 28, 2016, 08:20:49 AM »

I don't think Merkel's strategy here is going to be very helpful for her or for the EU long-term.  At least, she's not repairing the image that exists in some minds of the EU as an "evil, anti-democratic organization."  Not if she makes the UK endure 2+ years of economic turmoil as 'punishment' for leaving.  But I guess in the end, there are no winners here.

What should she do instead? Let the UK get all the perks from the EU while avoiding any of the costs?

It's not about "punishing" the UK for leaving. The UK punished itself by leaving. Now they should bear the consequences of their choice, plain and simple.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #773 on: June 28, 2016, 08:28:33 AM »

What should she do instead? Let the UK get all the perks from the EU while avoiding any of the costs?

It's not about "punishing" the UK for leaving. The UK punished itself by leaving. Now they should bear the consequences of their choice, plain and simple.

Like I said, there really are no winners.  Because no matter what happens, it will inflame the far-right across Europe to push for more leaves; either leaving the EU is an attractive option, or the EU is a cancer that will resort to nefarious means of keeping countries from leaving and threaten them if they do.  The Brexit could have very well started a domino effect, I'm afraid.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #774 on: June 28, 2016, 08:37:05 AM »

Like I said, there really are no winners.  Because no matter what happens, it will inflame the far-right across Europe to push for more leaves; either leaving the EU is an attractive option, or the EU is a cancer that will resort to nefarious means of keeping countries from leaving and threaten them if they do.  The Brexit could have very well started a domino effect, I'm afraid.

Or maybe it's just that the EU actually provides its member countries with plenty of advantages and that leaving is actually a suicidal gesture?

That's exactly what Brexit will show to the rest of Europe. I'm willing to bet that after this is all over other countries will think twice before following suit.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies