UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:14:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 51
Author Topic: UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao  (Read 140904 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: November 16, 2016, 02:02:30 PM »

Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #951 on: November 16, 2016, 03:18:21 PM »

God damn it Britain, I know you have some sort of weird unconscious prejudice and bigotry towards red-headed people, but just leave the hot ginger and his new girlfriend alone!

Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #952 on: November 17, 2016, 01:00:13 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2016, 01:07:00 PM by Hnv1 »

When has marriage to a divorced actress ever gone well?
I've thought about this for a solid three minutes and cannot come up with an example off the top of my head.
A certain Edward?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #953 on: November 20, 2016, 02:28:27 PM »

So the BBC apparently thinks that the revelation that some Prince is dating some actress I've never heard of (and that he hates that the media is harassing her) is more important news than something else that's taking place today, as it's the current top story on its website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37908096

Notice the irony anyone?

Surely the broadcasting rules that apply to our general election days don't also apply to U.S. presidential election days do they?

She's half-black, so the media reaction is very interesting.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #954 on: November 22, 2016, 11:30:43 AM »

So the BBC apparently thinks that the revelation that some Prince is dating some actress I've never heard of (and that he hates that the media is harassing her)

I watch Suits myself and so I had definitely heard of her. The Daily Mail has been going on about her 'racy scenes', which are tame compared to the sort of ones done by (often British) actors in shows like Game of Thrones.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #955 on: November 23, 2016, 01:44:58 PM »

Thomas Mair convicted of Jo Cox's murder: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38079594

Whole life tariff imposed as you'd expect given that this was a political assassination and terrorism. A point made by the judge in his sentencing remarks.

Anyway...

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #956 on: December 04, 2016, 01:02:07 PM »

Memo warning government ministers not to leak memos is leaked

hahahaha
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #957 on: December 04, 2016, 03:59:08 PM »

Tbh Ed Balls said in his memoirs that most things like this in government are cock ups, that look like grand conspiracies.

Besides, I'm convinced Brexit is just an entire Yes, Minister episode. There was even an episode where they said that Leak investigations are conducted by the people who probably leaked in the first place.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #958 on: December 04, 2016, 05:06:43 PM »

Who will soon seen by thousands on the Strictly Come Dancing tour... funny old year this.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #959 on: December 10, 2016, 10:07:59 AM »

McDonald's moving international headquarters from Luxembourg to UK in a "post-Brexit vote of confidence": http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/mcdonald-s-moves-non-us-base-to-uk-after-run-in-with-eu-tax-regulators-a7464106.html
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #960 on: December 15, 2016, 02:23:51 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/15/world/europe/brexit-talks-could-stretch-10-years-british-official-warns.html?_r=0

A top aide to Prime Minister May says Brexit could take ten years to negotiate.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #961 on: December 16, 2016, 06:46:03 AM »

that's hardly shocking; that's how long it took to get CETA through; and also as long as TTIP was going to take.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #962 on: December 17, 2016, 02:56:16 AM »

With talks about the working class being racist fyck, how do the White  Working Class vote in the UK, , and also the white working class vote in England compared to other countries in the UK. What would be the most left-wing working class group, and the least left-wing working class group. How much more left-wing are the working class whites, than middle class whites?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #963 on: December 18, 2016, 02:16:08 PM »

With talks about the working class being racist fyck, how do the White  Working Class vote in the UK, , and also the white working class vote in England compared to other countries in the UK. What would be the most left-wing working class group, and the least left-wing working class group. How much more left-wing are the working class whites, than middle class whites?

Prepare to be bored to death (I'm sure another UK poster will correct all of this)

Often the WWC is broken up into the NRS social grade of C1/C2/D1 ( at least when looking at it in depth) which basically means people who are skilled (C1) Semi Skilled (C2) or unskilled workers (D1) Looking at the voters for that group they vote Labour as a whole- with a 13% lead for unskilled workers. As UK politics is a lot less demographic focused (at least within our media) than the US it's hard for me to get the numbers off the top of my head but I'd still say the WWC lean towards Labour.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3575/How-Britain-voted-in-2015.aspx
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #964 on: December 18, 2016, 02:47:17 PM »

Comparable datasets to US exit polls don't actually exist in the UK, which means that if you want NUMBERS you must rely on poll aggregates (problematic to say the least). The most methodologically sound of these is the set produced by MORI; if you see a different post-election dataset being quoted then you immediately know that the person in question is not worth listening to.

Market research companies traditionally use the NRS social grade system which is also problematic because it was designed to reflect the distribution of jobs within a manufacturing-driven economy and has not aged well. The descriptive terms to describe the categories increasingly feel very arbitrary (but then they were always odd: it makes very little sense to class a foreman and a tradesman in the same social category, particularly if you're looking at voting habits, and makes less sense to then add farmers to the same group) and the distribution of jobs into categories in some cases feels not so much arbitrary as willfully perverse...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #965 on: December 18, 2016, 03:01:25 PM »

Anyway, probably the best way of putting this is to say that in most of the country most of Labour's vote comes from people who are white and working class, and that a significant share comes from this direction even in more diverse areas. The percentage who vote that way is generally highest in the old heavy industrial districts (particularly the old coalfields) and lowest in agricultural areas without much of a Labour tradition. The inverse of this is basically true of the Conservative Party, particularly now that the historic Working Class Tory vote that existed in some industrial areas (Lancashire for instance) has gone into terminal decline. For both major parties things are most volatile on this count in newer settlements, particularly the New Towns.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #966 on: December 18, 2016, 05:19:45 PM »

A few questions for you Sibboleth, or anyone else who cares to answer:

The descriptive terms to describe the categories increasingly feel very arbitrary (but then they were always odd: it makes very little sense to class a foreman and a tradesman in the same social category, particularly if you're looking at voting habits,

I assume the tradesman votes more Tory? I have some vague recollection that people like that were fairly pro-Thatcher.

and the distribution of jobs into categories in some cases feels not so much arbitrary as willfully perverse...

Just curious, but how would a Chartered Accountant be classified? I can't seem to find a decent set of examples for each grade, and could see myself fitting anywhere from C1 to A depending on how you defined the grades... which I suppose is why it isn't very useful.

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #967 on: December 18, 2016, 05:31:46 PM »

and the distribution of jobs into categories in some cases feels not so much arbitrary as willfully perverse...

Just curious, but how would a Chartered Accountant be classified? I can't seem to find a decent set of examples for each grade, and could see myself fitting anywhere from C1 to A depending on how you defined the grades... which I suppose is why it isn't very useful.

Chartered Accountant would probably be A or B depending on how senior they are.

A recently qualified one (me! yay!) would be B, but my boss would easily be A.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #968 on: December 18, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »

I assume the tradesman votes more Tory?

Er... no. Other way round Smiley

There's a cliché - and as is often the way there's a grain of truth to it - of workers turning Tory the moment they get promoted to foreman.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Parochial_boy is right; it would depend on your position within whatever firm you work in.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #969 on: December 19, 2016, 03:50:39 PM »

Chartered Accountant would probably be A or B depending on how senior they are.

A recently qualified one (me! yay!) would be B, but my boss would easily be A.

Congrats! I guess that means I'm a B then.

I assume the tradesman votes more Tory?

Er... no. Other way round Smiley

There's a cliché - and as is often the way there's a grain of truth to it - of workers turning Tory the moment they get promoted to foreman.

Oh ok. I was thinking Tradey = Independent small business = Tory, but I guess that's my North American experience talking.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #970 on: December 26, 2016, 02:29:52 AM »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brexit-god-given-chance-steal-9514138

It should kill delusions of grandeur among Brexiteers that the US under Trump will give post-Brexit UK a sweetheart trade deal. But it probably won't.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #971 on: December 26, 2016, 09:15:54 AM »

It should kill delusions of grandeur among Brexiteers that the US under Trump will give post-Brexit UK a sweetheart trade deal. But it probably won't.

We don't have a sweetheart trade deal with anyone at present tbh.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #972 on: December 26, 2016, 03:32:57 PM »

We don't have a sweetheart trade deal with anyone at present tbh.

Except for the EU...
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #973 on: December 27, 2016, 10:06:08 AM »

The Tories want to bring a voter ID law. Currently 7.5% of the population don't have an photo ID.

So gerrymandering, individual registration and now voter ID. Anybody noticing some sort of theme?
vileplume
« Reply #974 on: December 28, 2016, 10:21:19 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2016, 10:35:22 AM by vileplume »

The Tories want to bring a voter ID law. Currently 7.5% of the population don't have an photo ID.

So gerrymandering, individual registration and now voter ID. Anybody noticing some sort of theme?

Er they aren't gerrymandering. Labour seats particularly those in Wales tend to be grossly undersized and the current boundaries are based on old data so there needs to be some change. It's the boundary commission that has proposed some new horrendous constituencies not the Tories.

As for photo ID it is probably strongly supported by the public as a whole. It is quite easy in Britain to walk into the polling station and pretend to be anyone. If this is introduced the government will be pressurised to make access to id easier. However it is not the in person vote but instead the postal vote where the strongest most credible allegations of electoral fraud happen particularly in Labour areas with large Muslim populations such as Tower Hamlets, Nelson, Halifax, parts of Birmingham etc. for example fake voters on the rolls and 'community leaders' filling out everyone's ballots for them or heavily controlling how the members of their community vote. That's the part of the voting process which needs tightening up the most.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies