UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:18:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao  (Read 141190 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: May 10, 2015, 05:52:49 PM »

I have question for the forum Brits.

It is harder to win government for the Tories than it is for Labour. e.g. Labour got a larger majority on a smaller vote share in 2005 than the Tories did in 2015. This difference is usually attributed to two reasons.

1) Labour vote collapses to virtually nil in many Tory safe seats, while the Tories still get half decent results in many Labour safe seats, resulting in many more wasted votes for the Tories.

2) The constituency map doesn't reflect actual populations. The Tories hold many overpopulated suburban seats while Labour holds declining rust belt areas.

I understand the first argument but not the second. Didn't the UK have a redistribution a few years ago? Wouldn't that have fixed the discrepancy? If not, how come?

The redistribution (we say boundary changes) didn't go into effect. The LibDems threw them out when they lost the AV referendum and the changes to the House of Lords around 2012-13 time.

However, the Tories put boundary changes in their manifesto, so we can assume 2020 will be fought on new boundaries, with a smaller house of 600 members.

But no boundaries can change the fact that the Labour vote is clustered into certain regions while the Tory vote is spread much more thinly.

I'm quite sure the plan to have a smaller house at 600 was mooted in the last days. I suppose there is too much incumbents afraid of losing out seats.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 05:22:35 PM »

The inquiry into the polling cock-up was, unsurprisingly, a complete waste of time. Also worth noting that the polls were more wrong in 1992 and yet I'm pretty sure there wasn't such a massive inquiry then.

What were the findings/excuses in inquiry?

As for other great failures of the British polling industry, there's 1970 as well (interesting that they in these cases always seem to underestimate the Tory share of the vote vis-a-vis Labour).

"We polled too much Labour voters and not enough Conservative voters", in short.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 04:23:26 AM »

The inquiry into the polling cock-up was, unsurprisingly, a complete waste of time. Also worth noting that the polls were more wrong in 1992 and yet I'm pretty sure there wasn't such a massive inquiry then.

What were the findings/excuses in inquiry?

As for other great failures of the British polling industry, there's 1970 as well (interesting that they in these cases always seem to underestimate the Tory share of the vote vis-a-vis Labour).

"We polled too much Labour voters and not enough Conservative voters", in short.

lol, the British polling industry is such a joke. In 2020, we might as well use the astrology pages to predict the result.

The MP for Bosworth will be delighted.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 06:58:02 PM »

That would be a violation of Electoral Commission advice, which is asking the date being announced 6 months in advance.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2016, 06:18:48 PM by MaxQue »

The MP for Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough, Harry Harpham (Labour) has sadly died of cancer today. He was a councillor in Sheffield since 2004 and MP since 2015.

A coal miner which had to change paths after the 1985 strikes.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 02:03:56 PM »

If you look MPs interest declarations, a lot are paid to answer polls (once or twice a month), and they are usually paid 30 to 50£ per poll.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 03:05:35 PM »

Got elected to Welsh Assembly for UKIP.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 12:36:58 AM »

FWIW, if I we're British, I'd be glad that the Freedom Party and Britain First still exist (as well as the rump BNP) so the neo-Nazis don't try and hijack UKIP.

They couldn't, UKIP applies a very strict ban on anybody which has ever been a member of a far-right party (and are not shy of expulsing people from the party).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 06:56:16 PM »

Gerald Kaufman, Father of the House and MP since 1970 (Labour) sadly died.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 01:41:40 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2017, 01:43:45 AM by MaxQue »

Martin McGuinness, former Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland and former SF leader, died.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies