UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:32:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao  (Read 141332 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: September 21, 2015, 10:12:11 AM »

Can someone explain me what's going on? I'd do a research but I'm too creeped out right now, and in terror of what I may find.

He didn't actually f**k a pig, right?...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 08:43:12 PM »

oh sweet merciful lord...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 12:30:28 PM »

This is the best thing ever.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 09:49:06 PM »

Striking cover to the latest edition of the New Statesman:

Of the 4 Labour leaders depicted here who is the odd one out?

People outside of America actually know about Mt. Rushmore? I thought that was just a domestic thing mostly.

Nah, it's common knowledge. Most people probably don't know the name, but they've seen/heard about "that mountain with the Presidents' faces on it" somewhere.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 11:41:12 AM »

Why can't England or English EU regions just have their own provincial parliament(s)?

I would support the latter, but the former is an utterly ridiculous idea. Areas that make up more than 80% of a country's population don't need autonomy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 12:32:56 PM »

Russia was only 51% of the USSR? Wow, I expected a much higher figure.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 08:53:24 AM »

Oh God, as if Labour needed this now...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 02:44:50 AM »

Hard to believe that a Brexit result, at least in the immediate, would cause more chaos among Labour than the Tories... Oh well, hopefully Labour sorts out their issues quickly and leaves time for Tories to jump at each other's throats in the next few months.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 04:40:44 PM »

I wonder why Corbyn's did try to sway EdM back to the shadow cabinet, it could show some stability and experience in pretty dodgy forum
Just make him leader again tbh

This!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 08:20:49 AM »

I don't think Merkel's strategy here is going to be very helpful for her or for the EU long-term.  At least, she's not repairing the image that exists in some minds of the EU as an "evil, anti-democratic organization."  Not if she makes the UK endure 2+ years of economic turmoil as 'punishment' for leaving.  But I guess in the end, there are no winners here.

What should she do instead? Let the UK get all the perks from the EU while avoiding any of the costs?

It's not about "punishing" the UK for leaving. The UK punished itself by leaving. Now they should bear the consequences of their choice, plain and simple.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 08:37:05 AM »

I don't think Merkel's strategy here is going to be very helpful for her or for the EU long-term.  At least, she's not repairing the image that exists in some minds of the EU as an "evil, anti-democratic organization."  Not if she makes the UK endure 2+ years of economic turmoil as 'punishment' for leaving.  But I guess in the end, there are no winners here.

What should she do instead? Let the UK get all the perks from the EU while avoiding any of the costs?

It's not about "punishing" the UK for leaving. The UK punished itself by leaving. Now they should bear the consequences of their choice, plain and simple.

Like I said, there really are no winners.  Because no matter what happens, it will inflame the far-right across Europe to push for more leaves; either leaving the EU is an attractive option, or the EU is a cancer that will resort to nefarious means of keeping countries from leaving and threaten them if they do.  The Brexit could have very well started a domino effect, I'm afraid.

Or maybe it's just that the EU actually provides its member countries with plenty of advantages and that leaving is actually a suicidal gesture?

That's exactly what Brexit will show to the rest of Europe. I'm willing to bet that after this is all over other countries will think twice before following suit.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 09:35:37 AM »

Like I said, there really are no winners.  Because no matter what happens, it will inflame the far-right across Europe to push for more leaves; either leaving the EU is an attractive option, or the EU is a cancer that will resort to nefarious means of keeping countries from leaving and threaten them if they do.  The Brexit could have very well started a domino effect, I'm afraid.

Or maybe it's just that the EU actually provides its member countries with plenty of advantages and that leaving is actually a suicidal gesture.

Was forcing on Italy that they must make Mario Monti the Prime Minister one of those advantages?

The EU does have a lot of good things but it and the ECB taking political control of countries is morally indefensible and no better than a military coup.

Do you realize that the UK isn't even in the Eurozone? The ECB has zero relevance in all this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »

Or maybe it's just that the EU actually provides its member countries with plenty of advantages and that leaving is actually a suicidal gesture.

Was forcing on Italy that they must make Mario Monti the Prime Minister one of those advantages?

The EU does have a lot of good things but it and the ECB taking political control of countries is morally indefensible and no better than a military coup.

Do you realize that the UK isn't even in the Eurozone? The ECB has zero relevance in all this.

I'm pretty confident that the people outside of Italy that know who Mario Monti is are aware of the Euro zone membership.

...your point being?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 03:39:33 AM »

Corbyn refuses to resign, says no confidence vote has 'no constitutional legitimacy'
This is what happens when you let the Neo-Marxists into the party. They seize power and never let it go.

there is nothing neo-anything about Corbyn and he has not made significant changes to the party rulebook either, the procedure is for a challenger to, you know, challenge the incumbent. if the PLP want him out that badly they should've pulled their fingers out and nominated a challenger on monday morning rather than fartarsing about with a non-binding pantomime

Well, the militants almost took over the party in the early 80s, but yeah, I wouldn't place Corbyn at the same footing with them.

Nice choice of word. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 04:28:42 AM »

Michael Gove is in the running now. Boris just got backstabbed.

Corbyn refuses to resign, says no confidence vote has 'no constitutional legitimacy'
This is what happens when you let the Neo-Marxists into the party. They seize power and never let it go.

there is nothing neo-anything about Corbyn and he has not made significant changes to the party rulebook either, the procedure is for a challenger to, you know, challenge the incumbent. if the PLP want him out that badly they should've pulled their fingers out and nominated a challenger on monday morning rather than fartarsing about with a non-binding pantomime

Well, the militants almost took over the party in the early 80s, but yeah, I wouldn't place Corbyn at the same footing with them.

Nice choice of word. Wink
BRTD isn't in here. Huh

...don't tell me you don't know the name of the guy who led Labour in the early 80s? Huh
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 04:57:53 AM »

Oh, sorry. The questioning emoji threw me off. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 03:39:37 AM »

So to sum up in the past week since the vote:
  • Financial markets panic, but not quite at Lehman 2008 levels
  • David Cameron resigns without keeping is promise to invoke Article 50
  • Leave campaigners run around like headless chickens, unsure about the next steps
  • Worse still, they immediately admit to lying about key promises
  • Even worse still, they genuinely act as if the Empire is back
  • Both major parties in Westminster in complete disarray
  • Any residual pro-British sentiment in Scotland suffers a fatal blow
  • Scotland openly talks with foreign powers against Westminster's wishes
  • Irish reunification and Gibraltar retrocession suddenly aren't jokes
  • Brussels humiliates the Leave campaigners by daring them to invoke Article 50
  • In fact, Berlin and Paris barely contain their glee in dismembering the EU's drama queen

If you strip away the places and people, you'd think this is a collapsing third world banana republic whose banknotes have a suspicious number of zeros, and whose President is re-elected with numbers which are similar to FM radio stations.

But the United Kingdom? The birthplace of parliamentary democracy? Whose political class are educated at the world's finest schools? And whose civil service is professional, neutral, and resilient?

Really??

Really??

I haven't seen it talked about much here, but isn't the number one culprit for this whole debacle really the Murdoch press? They really fueled the Leave campaign, and they're probably more trusted by voters than any Leave politician.

If so, it would be the ultimate evidence that Murdoch is behind nearly everything wrong with modern Britain.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 11:53:45 AM »

anyone who has taken another human life, however justified, is generally haunted by it in some form.

You have a singularly optimistic vision of humanity.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 11:43:34 AM »

In incredibly funny news, leaks from some Lib Dem higher ups suggest there was a serious movement after the Referendum to launch a coup against Tim the Hipster Christian and replace him with (wait for it) Nick Clegg.

I kind of want that to happen tbh. Cheesy
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 11:44:24 AM »

Also, since I've kind of bashed you in another thread today, let me say that the title you gave this thread is awesome. Makes me chuckle every time I see it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2016, 05:38:33 AM »

There you have it!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 01:49:53 PM »

Just when you thought the UK's relationship to the rest of the world couldn't possibly get any worse.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 01:52:54 PM »

Just when you thought the UK's relationship to the rest of the world couldn't possibly get any worse.

Not a fan of Johnson, but to be fair to him he's not exactly Nigel Farage.

Doesn't everybody who has worked with him find him insufferable?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 03:48:14 PM »

I mean, it kind of makes sense to have vocal Brexiters on most main government posts. I don't like it, but that's what people voted for.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 05:13:13 AM »

Looks like Gove sacrificed himself to save Britain from Johnson. RIP FF.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies