UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:15:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao  (Read 141669 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« on: October 03, 2015, 10:08:34 AM »
« edited: October 03, 2015, 10:10:06 AM by Barnes »

Denis Healey has died today, aged 98. Rest in peace to a great Labour man.

Incidentally, Healey was the last surviving member of the 1964 Labour Cabinet.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 12:41:34 PM »

TIL Gerald Kaufman wrote a book about, of all things, the 1944 Technicolor classic Meet Me in St. Louis.

What a legend.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 05:21:44 PM »

A miserable compromise that makes no sense on its own logic - i.e. he has been found guilty on all counts and yet is not being treated as almost any other member would be - and which pleases absolutely no one. Apparently the aim of the game is to kick the can down the road enough times until he finally dies of alcohol poisoning.

Just once I'd like the headlines to not involve the words "Labour" and "irrelevant anti-Semitic git." Seems like a bridge too far.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 07:18:57 PM »

Did you read his statement for standing in the Gorton by-election? I really had no idea his writing could be so scattered, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised...
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 05:03:20 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2017, 05:43:29 PM by Barnes »

Did you read his statement for standing in the Gorton by-election? I really had no idea his writing could be so scattered, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised...

The irony is that Galloway is appealing to both the traditonal white working class areas (he attacked that Labour used an all asian shortlist) and is also running with his usual support from the fringes of the Islamic community (he's been endorsed by the Lib Dem candidate from 2010)

Ha! Strange bedfellows and all that.

The attack on the all-Asian list was so odd; almost on the "Gorton is in danger of being swamped by Asians" level.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:49:48 AM »

I'm disappointed. If she had to call an early election, it should've been a May election, not June. 😁

But, but, May say she was rock solid against an election, it was only that fickle opposition that changed her mind! Grin

Also, the election wouldn't be on my birthday then! Haha.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2017, 05:48:44 PM by Barnes »

Dennis Skinner will be the Father of the House after this election. Haha
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 12:19:59 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2017, 12:48:24 PM by Barnes »

Dennis Skinner will be the Father of the House after this election. Haha

Which reminds me: will the Tories finally launch another coup attempt against Bercow following the election?

I'm reminded because the Father of the House oversees speakership elections.

Assuming Bercow is actually outset what's next for him? The backbenches? Seems tricky, given once a Speaker, former or not, you are no longer member of any party. Immediate kick upstairs to the Lords?

Probably to the Lords and a by-election in Buckingham.

Bercow already stated he would be retiring as Speaker within a year or two which made that idiotic rebellion against him even more quixotic than it already was. I cannot see May wanting to inflict damage on her (presumably emphatic) victory by having the first day of the new Parliament dominated with her ditching the Speaker.

However, if Bercow were to bring forward his plans to retire at this election he would be elevated to the Lords in due course and there would be an open election for Speaker.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 04:20:54 PM »

The tories have been briefing the times that they're A.) Going to depose Bercow B.) Asking CCHQ to not put a lot of fight against Lindsay Hoyle, who is a Lab MP, and deputy speaker.

The hope is that he'd become speaker; although I know that Chris Byrant wants to be Speaker, and imo both would be great picks

Oh really? God that's going to be messy and counterproductive. But both Labour MPs are good to me; Bryant has to see what transpires in Rhondda first.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 04:33:12 PM »

Electing a Labourite Speaker means one less Labour MP to worry about Tongue

As in changing the party numbers? The tradition is to usually elect a Deputy Speaker from the opposite party who (while staying in the party, doesn't vote) would even it out.

Of course, one less MP to bother Corbyn is the other idea. Lol.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 05:16:08 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2017, 06:09:32 PM by Barnes »

The tories have been briefing the times that they're A.) Going to depose Bercow B.) Asking CCHQ to not put a lot of fight against Lindsay Hoyle, who is a Lab MP, and deputy speaker.

The hope is that he'd become speaker; although I know that Chris Byrant wants to be Speaker, and imo both would be great picks

Oh really? God that's going to be messy and counterproductive. But both Labour MPs are good to me; Bryant has to see what transpires in Rhondda first.

As much as I love Bercow I feel his time has come to an end; as long as someone like Kate Hoey or Rees Mogg doesn't become Speaker I'm not that upset.

I heard that Plaid were going at Rhondda hard; and Leanne Wood (their leader) was going to run. It has a 7k lab majority but god knows what could happen with weird swings/turnout

Leanne Wood won the Assembly version of the seat on a 21% swing to Plaid. The comparisons only go so far, but they're fairly bullish about making it competitive if she's the candidate.

As far as Bercow, it might be time for him to be gracefully promoted to the other place, but as I said a few days ago, trying to axe him on the floor of the House on the first day back would seem rather suicidal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies