UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:04:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: UK General Discussion Thread: mayy lmao  (Read 141544 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: September 21, 2015, 01:20:45 PM »

Can someone explain me what's going on? I'd do a research but I'm too creeped out right now, and in terror of what I may find.

He didn't actually f**k a pig, right?...

It seems like he basically put his dick in a dead pig's mouth.

Lol rich kids.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 03:42:53 PM »

That's the first time an MP was assasinated since Ian Gow, right?

Terrible news.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 04:09:37 PM »

Would it be fair to say that the last Prime Minister to leave on his or her own terms was Harold Wilson?

And also arguably the first.

What about Stanley Baldwin?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 06:35:17 AM »

LibDems are not really renowned for their bright ideas.

Honestly, what would that accomplish other than futher boots to crazies?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 02:38:48 PM »

Dan Jarvis is an empty suit, and I'm not saying that because I'm a raging lefty, it's just he has no opinions and might as well have been closed in a lab to fit the specifications of what a certain breed of journalist (i.e. the one who patronisingly tries to "understand the working class) thinks is needed. He's our version of Marco Rubio, in that respect.

Now, THAT's devastating.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 04:47:34 AM »

Oh great, Labour is going back on the full suicide mode.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 05:33:32 PM »

Corbyn refuses to resign, says no confidence vote has 'no constitutional legitimacy'
This is what happens when you let the Neo-Marxists into the party. They seize power and never let it go.

there is nothing neo-anything about Corbyn and he has not made significant changes to the party rulebook either, the procedure is for a challenger to, you know, challenge the incumbent. if the PLP want him out that badly they should've pulled their fingers out and nominated a challenger on monday morning rather than fartarsing about with a non-binding pantomime

Well, the militants almost took over the party in the early 80s, but yeah, I wouldn't place Corbyn at the same footing with them.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »

A question about leadership contest procedure: I know Labour had much wider range of people who votes other than PLP, but the Tories are still MPs-only contest, right?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 06:27:23 PM »

A question about leadership contest procedure: I know Labour had much wider range of people who votes other than PLP, but the Tories are still MPs-only contest, right?

Conservative MPs vote in a multi-round ballot eliminating the bottom placed candidate until there are two left, the membership then chose between the two in a postal vote (about 250,000 last time)

so if five are nominated, there will be three rounds to whittle them down to two for the members to vote on

At least they have a vote. Not like before 1965...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 07:24:50 AM »

I could see an "Alliance" between anti-Corbyn Labour and the LibDems but I doubt the LibDems would get to be dominant.

I very much doubt that too. They can, if such split occurs, become the "official opposition" for duration of this parliament, but breaking "two dominant party system" is extremely hard.

The 80s SDP-Liberal alliance was at one point supposed not only to overtake badly battered Labour as the official opposition, but they actually led Tories for a time. But, for receiving only marginally less votes than Labour (25.4% to 27.6%), they won a small number of seats (23 to 209). Just like the UKIP last election: significant support nationwide, and mere one seat, because the support was spread across the country, and there was no machine to actually compete in constituencies.

In this regard the UK is bit like the US. Instead of electoral college, you have winner-takes-all constituencies. You can lose the PV and get a majority (like Churchill in 1951, or plurality like Wilson in February 1974). Similarly, you can perform great in the PV and be a toast in actual number of seats.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 12:54:32 PM »

Corbyn refuses to resign, says no confidence vote has 'no constitutional legitimacy'
This is what happens when you let the Neo-Marxists into the party. They seize power and never let it go.

there is nothing neo-anything about Corbyn and he has not made significant changes to the party rulebook either, the procedure is for a challenger to, you know, challenge the incumbent. if the PLP want him out that badly they should've pulled their fingers out and nominated a challenger on monday morning rather than fartarsing about with a non-binding pantomime

Well, the militants almost took over the party in the early 80s, but yeah, I wouldn't place Corbyn at the same footing with them.

Nice choice of word. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km2D1tTSARQ
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 11:23:48 PM »

Devastating,

Change party name, date and faces, and this piece would be a fitting description of this situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-Ia45UJ6Q
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 01:33:40 PM »

In incredibly funny news, leaks from some Lib Dem higher ups suggest there was a serious movement after the Referendum to launch a coup against Tim the Hipster Christian and replace him with (wait for it) Nick Clegg.

You must be s**ting us. I can't believe even the LibDems are so dumb.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 06:47:51 AM »

In incredibly funny news, leaks from some Lib Dem higher ups suggest there was a serious movement after the Referendum to launch a coup against Tim the Hipster Christian and replace him with (wait for it) Nick Clegg.

You must be s**ting us. I can't believe even the LibDems are so dumb.

Really? You're surprised the LibDems are dumb? It must be real easy to surprise you then.

More like "that dumb". I thought they've reached limits long ago.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 06:50:51 AM »

Why are those who have served at some point as Wales Secretaries getting screwed one way or the other?

It's a cursed cabinet seat I tell you.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 10:45:05 PM »

"Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union"

lol
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 07:10:30 AM »

So, Patrick Woolton is Foreign Secretary again?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 12:00:31 PM »

OK, I understand the rationale of including a prominent Brexiter into the cabinet, but Foreign Secretary is a f**king joke.

"Hey, Barack, do you still have that genetic Kenyan hatred toward Britain?"

"Hey, Edrogan, did you like my poem about you screwing a goat?"
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 05:00:53 PM »

OK, I understand the rationale of including a prominent Brexiter into the cabinet, but Foreign Secretary is a f**king joke.

"Hey, Barack, do you still have that genetic Kenyan hatred toward Britain?"

"Hey, Edrogan, did you like my poem about you screwing a goat?"

Well, one of those comments might actually be a positive now.

Funny how things can change rapidly.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 06:16:58 PM »

RIP Snowden

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38611497

Oh wait, I meant Snowdon.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »

There's very little comparison here, it was an advisory referendum, purely symbolical, while Brexit referendum was widely supposed to be biding from day one.

That being said, as an MP I'd vote against. I just would never vote to leave the EU. And since courts ruled parliament should vote too, well, MPs are not required to follow with the results of the referendum.

I know, a funny legal situation.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »

OK, consider this. Should an MP whose constituency voted overwhelmingly against Brexit be obliged to vote to make a path for it? Each MP represents her or his own constituency, not general electorate.

The situation here is weird anyway. What's the point of having a referendum if its results can be possibly blocked by parliament? You either do a truly biding one or you don't waste time and money.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 07:02:07 PM »

Brexit: Heseltine vows to rebel in Lords bill debate
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 09:58:10 AM »

The Conservatives had a lot of their long-servers defeated in the 1997 election, I believe and many of the current party are  2001 or 2005 intake members. So younger. Most of Labour's 1997 intake didn't hold their seats past 2005 and there was of course the mass defeat in Scotland in 2015.

I read Kaufman's How to be a Minister at university. Good book.

The saddest part he never got to become one, as his time on frontbench was during the opposition. Unless of course you'll count his one year under Wilson as the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Environment.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 09:59:29 AM »

Btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujl0HW7B8nc
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies