MS-Gov: Trent Lott for governor in 2019?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:10:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MS-Gov: Trent Lott for governor in 2019?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MS-Gov: Trent Lott for governor in 2019?  (Read 6938 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2015, 08:28:38 PM »

The former Mississippi senator and lobbyist is thinking about running for governor in 2019, and could possibly win. Thoughts?

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/governor-races/241556-trent-lott-not-ruling-out-gubernatorial-bid
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2015/05/09/trent-lott-governor/27055227/
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 08:33:28 PM »

the Mississippi good-old-boy network would allow him to win should he desire it, but I doubt he's really that interested.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 05:45:39 AM »

the Mississippi good-old-boy network would allow him to win should he desire it, but I doubt he's really that interested.

He will be 78 by 2019. Isn't it slightly too old for freshman governor?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 09:37:50 AM »

The blacks will surely carry him over the hump in his advanced age even as whites begin to revolt against the GOP. They've always helped him out.

/loblaw'd
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:21:18 AM »

Maybe in 2011 but not now
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 10:26:01 PM »

I hope someone from the Barbour-Lott-Cochran wing of the MS GOP can seize back control of the state house from Phil Bryant's True Believers.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 04:05:17 AM »

I hope someone from the Barbour-Lott-Cochran wing of the MS GOP can seize back control of the state house from Phil Bryant's True Believers.

Well, if they will quarrel too much it may be Chris McDaniel wing of the GOP, which prevails. At least - temporarily..
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 03:48:07 PM »

I thought Bryant was part of that wing.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 04:06:19 PM »

Isn't he already in his 70's?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 11:26:28 AM »

I doubt it.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 08:50:35 AM »

I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed, and he has a plush lobbying gig now.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 09:20:26 PM »

Yeah Bryant is not that conservative...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 10:15:43 PM »

And are we really including TRENT LOTT as a part of the "good" category? The man is utterly vile.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 07:13:49 PM »

And are we really including TRENT LOTT as a part of the "good" category? The man is utterly vile.

Standards are much lower in Mississippi, you see.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 07:16:45 PM »

Standards are much lower in Mississippi, you see.

I understand that when I say that Trent Lott is an utterly vile.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 10:14:14 PM »

I really don't understand how MS Dems can't scrounge together a candidate who can squeak out a win more or less running as an old school Southern Democrat.  With such a large Black population, all he'd need to do is win like 30% of Whites, right?  There's no way a coalition of old Dixiecrats who are about to die plus some poor Whites can't get near 30%...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 10:59:43 PM »

I really don't understand how MS Dems can't scrounge together a candidate who can squeak out a win more or less running as an old school Southern Democrat.  With such a large Black population, all he'd need to do is win like 30% of Whites, right?  There's no way a coalition of old Dixiecrats who are about to die plus some poor Whites can't get near 30%...

Vast majority of "old school Southern Democrats", who are still politically active in Mississippi, are now Republicans. The same with political officeholders of this type. I counted more then dozen Republican legislators who began their career as conservative Democrats. And remaining Democratic white officeholders are, usually, "not conservative enough" for these people (in addition: they have difficulties of winning frequently Black- and liberal- dominated Democratic primaries. To win primary you, usually, must be at least somewhat left-of-center on something, but that dooms you in general)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »

That's pretty curious. I don't know why he's running; he'll probably end up like Dan Coats and retire after one term.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 12:47:06 PM »

Generally the only way to attract those extra 20% of whites to the Democratic Party again would be moving heavily to the right, which would in turn decrease black turnout. That wouldn't even be enough, because if you want a conservative governor, why not just vote Republican? It would require a Republican candidate that was bad enough that people want an alternative.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 02:05:54 PM »

Generally the only way to attract those extra 20% of whites to the Democratic Party again would be moving heavily to the right, which would in turn decrease black turnout. That wouldn't even be enough, because if you want a conservative governor, why not just vote Republican? It would require a Republican candidate that was bad enough that people want an alternative.

Right, but most non-biased people could agree that the old Dixiecrats were only really conservatives compared to the national Democratic Party; they certainly weren't as conservative, especially on fiscal issues, as the current crop of Southern Republicans are.  I question whether a socially conservative, fiscally moderate-to-populist Southern Democrat would decrease Black turnout that much, but I'd need someone more well-versed in local MS politics to correct me if I'm wrong.  It literally worked for decades.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »

Can't Dems win MS with even less than 30% of the white vote?
gespb19
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »

MS Dems have a few guys who could win a gubernatorial race (or even a Senate race, given the right circumstances). The problem is that none of them will run. Although I think Brandon Presley could run in 2019.

As for Lott, I don't see him running in '19. The GOP nominee will probably be Reeves (lieutenant governor) or some Tea Party nut like McDaniel, Michael Watson, or Chris Brown.
gespb19
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 06:50:25 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2015, 12:38:19 AM by gespb19 »

Bryant is pretty darn conservative but he's not part of the McDaniel wing. But I'd say he's to the right of Barbour, Cochran, etc
gespb19
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 12:36:14 AM »

Right, but most non-biased people could agree that the old Dixiecrats were only really conservatives compared to the national Democratic Party; they certainly weren't as conservative, especially on fiscal issues, as the current crop of Southern Republicans are.  I question whether a socially conservative, fiscally moderate-to-populist Southern Democrat would decrease Black turnout that much, but I'd need someone more well-versed in local MS politics to correct me if I'm wrong.  It literally worked for decades.

I should have linked this article with my other comments. The guy discussed in the WaPo story below was the 2007 Democratic candidate for governor. He is very similar to the type of candidate that you are talking about.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/27/AR2007042702044.html
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 04:59:51 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2015, 05:02:21 AM by smoltchanov »

I really don't understand how MS Dems can't scrounge together a candidate who can squeak out a win more or less running as an old school Southern Democrat.  With such a large Black population, all he'd need to do is win like 30% of Whites, right?  There's no way a coalition of old Dixiecrats who are about to die plus some poor Whites can't get near 30%...

Right, but most non-biased people could agree that the old Dixiecrats were only really conservatives compared to the national Democratic Party; they certainly weren't as conservative, especially on fiscal issues, as the current crop of Southern Republicans are.  I question whether a socially conservative, fiscally moderate-to-populist Southern Democrat would decrease Black turnout that much, but I'd need someone more well-versed in local MS politics to correct me if I'm wrong.  It literally worked for decades.

I should have linked this article with my other comments. The guy discussed in the WaPo story below was the 2007 Democratic candidate for governor. He is very similar to the type of candidate that you are talking about.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/27/AR2007042702044.html

Yes, but even him got only slightly above 42% against Barbour. That's better then DuPree's 39% against Bryant, but not by much..And, generally, since 1999 Democrats lose 3-4% in each next governor race..
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies