The eventual fate of Andrew Cuomo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:15:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The eventual fate of Andrew Cuomo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What will happen to him?
He will later become President at some point after 2016

He will get a cabinet position of some type

He will never achieve higher office, but will be elected at least one more term as Governor of New York

He will be defeated in the primary/general running for reelection

He will not run for reelection

He will not finish his current term but he will never see jail time

He will end up in prison

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 128

Author Topic: The eventual fate of Andrew Cuomo  (Read 3641 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2015, 10:29:25 AM »

?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 10:32:28 AM »

Finishes out his current term to cap off his political career, never gets charged with anything.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 10:44:39 AM »

He'll never be President obviously and he's too toxic for Hillary to appoint him to anything. He'll probably just become a lobbyist or attorney for Wall Street.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »

He'll never be President obviously and he's too toxic for Hillary to appoint him to anything. He'll probably just become a lobbyist or attorney for Wall Street.

This. He managed to completely alienate every NY and national Dem for him to have any meaningful political future.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:32:11 AM »

He'll win reelection in 2018, retire in 2022. He'll try for President in 2024 and lose the primary to cap off his career.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 11:56:08 AM »

He'll be perpetually in the shadow of his father, whatever happens.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 08:12:52 PM »

would he take the HUD job if Hillary offered?  I lean towards no.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 05:56:55 AM »

Cuomo isn't toxic yet, his approvals are still 52/43 and he's been shielded from the brunt of the corruption in NY so far. He could probably get nominated and confirmed as Hillary's AG, but I think that's as far as he goes. Personally I think he would be smart to take a Cabinet job if offered.

If Cuomo runs for a 3rd term, he's going to lose in the primary or come out as a damaged nominee. The fact that Teachout won a majority of NY counties despite being an absolute no name was a complete embarrassment for Cuomo.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »

he's been shielded from the brunt of the corruption in NY so far.

the hammer is coming down over the next year or 18 months.  he shut down an anti-corruption committee in ~2013, meanwhile the leaders of both houses have been indicted on federal corruption charges. 

his worst nightmare is an actual Democratic state Senate.  Silver was his buffer against the Democratic left in the house.  if Dems take both houses they'll start passing bills that he won't want to sign but won't really be able to veto.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 01:27:52 PM »

Finishes out his current term to cap off his political career, never gets charged with anything.
Yeah, he'll end up like his old man.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 01:11:51 AM »

Yeah the feds are casting a wide net over New York. That doesn't mean Cuomo won't slip through, it's very possible, but I can't see how he's at least not on the radar now.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 01:27:01 AM »

Yeah the feds are casting a wide net over New York. That doesn't mean Cuomo won't slip through, it's very possible, but I can't see how he's at least not on the radar now.

As long as he doesn't ever threaten Wall Street and then try to skirt the $10,000 reporting law with smaller payments for hookers, he'll be fine with all of his dirty deeds.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 11:53:07 AM »

The last option, I wish.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 11:59:25 AM »

Oh, he will be president, at some point.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 12:56:15 PM »

Cuomo has said he will run again for governor, and odds are he will win again, absent a scandal taking him down, although Gibson may cause him some trouble as the Pub nominee. There is no chance Cuomo will be POTUS, or for that matter, even run for POTUS I suspect.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 01:09:41 PM »

I could see a credible primary challenge to Cuomo emerging in 2018. Teachout might even have a shot if she announces earlier this time. Even if Cuomo eeks out a victory I could never see him having a shot at the presidential race. He really has no national constituency. He's simultaniously too right-wing for the Democratic primary electorate and ha the same problem as Chris Christie which is that I couldn't see him appealing in middle America.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 03:00:51 PM »

He won't be president, nor will he go to jail, but he is more likely to go to jail than be president
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 11:44:13 PM »

He'll run for governor again in 2018.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »

Either he will choose not to run for reelection in 2018, or he will go for it and win.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 11:06:58 AM »

I could see a credible primary challenge to Cuomo emerging in 2018. Teachout might even have a shot if she announces earlier this time. Even if Cuomo eeks out a victory I could never see him having a shot at the presidential race. He really has no national constituency. He's simultaniously too right-wing for the Democratic primary electorate and ha the same problem as Chris Christie which is that I couldn't see him appealing in middle America.

Teachout couldn't do it.  I actually think the best strategy would be to get a black candidate from NYC that says what the white progressive voters want to hear.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 11:12:30 AM »

Teachout couldn't do it.  I actually think the best strategy would be to get a black candidate from NYC that says what the white progressive voters want to hear.

The best bet, assuming he has good political skills, might be that Federal District Attorney that is prosecuting the former leadership of the legislature, assuming he is successful in sending them to jail. The new speaker of the house that Sheldon Silver parachuted in as his replacement looks next on deck to be indicted.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 03:23:27 PM »

or how about Ken Thompson, DA of Brooklyn?  (can't believe I'm pushing a DA, but he could be perfect to build a coalition against Cuomo)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 09:06:38 PM »

It varies.

He could be indicted.

He could lose reelection or be forced out. I'm sure he'll get a stronger opponent than Zephyr Teachout.

He might get some kind of cabinet post. Pataki was offered Ambassador to the UN by Bush in 2005, so something like that could cap Cuomo's career. He'd be a high-profile Attorney General but he's too tainted by his associations in New York.

Democrats are too focused on identity politics for a middle aged white guy to be a presidential nominee, and he doesn't have enough of a record of progressive accomplishments.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 06:47:32 PM »

I could actually see him getting in trouble with Bharara, the U.S. attorney. If that happens, the Cuomo legacy in New York State will be tarnished, that the son of one of America's beloved progressive governors would end up in such state.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 08:25:54 PM »

Unless he is found guilty of some crime and ends up in prison -- possible, I suppose, but that's kind of a big thing to assume -- I find it difficult to imagine him not winning reelection in 2018, even in the largest of Republican waves. I can't see him losing a Democratic primary, either -- I don't think he's gotten less popular since 2014, and it says a lot that Teachout was the best the anti-Cuomo forces in the NYDP could come up with. Past that, it's murky what'll happen.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies