Breaking News: New forum is up and running - sign up now!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:57:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Breaking News: New forum is up and running - sign up now!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Poll
Question: Would you be interested in joining a new forum that would serve as an "Atlas After Dark"?
Yes.

No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 107

Author Topic: Breaking News: New forum is up and running - sign up now!  (Read 16959 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2015, 05:29:04 PM »
« edited: June 01, 2015, 11:10:49 PM by Eraserhead »

Essentially it'd be somewhat similar to this forum except:

- Censorship rules would be extremely relaxed.
- Swearing would be 100% acceptable.
- There would be an effort made to attract some of the posters who were banned from here for controversial reasons (think opebo and jmfcst).
- Political boards would still be a big part of the forum but there would be more of a focus on "off-topic" type stuff than there is on here.
- Update would not only be permitted but there would be an entire board dedicated to it as well as some sub-boards.
- Personal threats against other posters, especially threats of violence, would still not be tolerated.

What do you guys think? What else might you like to see?

9 PM EDIT: Thanks to HockeyDude, the new forum is up and running! Contact him (or me) via PM for the link!
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:36:27 PM »

As long as you get to be our modadmin, E.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 05:39:59 PM »

This was my idea, so I would be Supreme Overlord (unless that is a deal-breaker for those interested).  I learned how to decently delegate in the Navy, though, so I have some ideas in mind on how to effectively run things.  Eraserhead and J-Mann would obviously run the Update boards.  Perhaps let Lief do the dirty work in the political forums.  But, really, little moderation will be needed outside of threatening or slanderous text.  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »

Oh, and most importantly we would need a tech-saavy current mod to confirm the identities of those trying to register.  This board would be exclusive to people already on Atlas or have been banned from Atlas.  This is key. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 05:45:55 PM »

I don't really care who ends up as Modadmin or as the moderators since they will be Mods In Name Only (MIDS) 99.9% of the time. There will be virtually no moderation outside of stopping people who are making specific personal threats.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 05:49:10 PM »

I don't really care who ends up as Modadmin or as the moderators since they will be Mods In Name Only (MIDS) 99.9% of the time. There will be virtually no moderation outside of stopping people who are making specific personal threats.

As far as moderation goes, my only concern is Update.  I feel like J-Mann should be there for good reason. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 05:50:07 PM »

Oh, and most importantly we would need a tech-saavy current mod to confirm the identities of those trying to register.  This board would be exclusive to people already on Atlas or have been banned from Atlas.  This is key. 

While the focus of the forum should obviously be to attract Atlas posters and ex-Atlas posters, I'm not sure that I'm 100% against a few newbies joining up (especially if they're people that our posters can vouch for). So that point may be worth opening up for debate.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 05:50:34 PM »

1 is concerning. 2 is fine, but I prefer the way we do it here because it remains funny.

Other than that, I really just wish the proper changes were made here. We're going to lose a lot of good posters. They'll slowly scoot on over permanently even if they stay here first.

An Update subforum here would do a lot even if we don't get some beloved banned posters back. I suppose that's not even possible to salvage this site sadly.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2015, 05:53:53 PM by HockeyDude »

Oh, and most importantly we would need a tech-saavy current mod to confirm the identities of those trying to register.  This board would be exclusive to people already on Atlas or have been banned from Atlas.  This is key.  

While the focus of the forum should obviously be to attract Atlas posters and ex-Atlas posters, I'm not sure that I'm 100% against a few newbies joining up (especially if they're people that our posters can vouch for). So that point may be worth opening up for debate.

It's a rolling project.  Not everything has to be decided at the outset.  

(Oh, and it seems we have 7 people interested.  I would do it with 10.  I don't care if we have 1,000,000 noes)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »

Go for it honey. Just how that will work as far as you managing this all, while being busy starting up your legal career escapes me, but hey, maybe you only need four hours sleep an night or something.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 05:55:23 PM »

I'll probably still post here and I imagine most of the other posters who post on the new forum still will as well (just not as much).

Due to the changes and increased censorship on this forum, this pretty much had to happen at some point. The cancellation of Update was just the straw that broke the camel's back.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 05:56:24 PM »

Um, heck yes. I'd love to volunteer as a mod for this.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 05:59:49 PM »

Go for it honey. Just how that will work as far as you managing this all, while being busy starting up your legal career escapes me, but hey, maybe you only need four hours sleep an night or something.

Won't be a lot to manage if I get a little help from our interested members.  I mean, the entire point is to have a site that needs little moderation so we don't annoy people here.  I envision some political discussion there... but for most if not all of it to be left here.  

There's really no reason for anyone to be hostile towards the idea, especially with such potential to repair the correspondence here.  

And I put my legal career on hold, Torie.  I'm not going back to law school until I can pay for it.  I have time.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 06:01:06 PM »

Um, heck yes. I'd love to volunteer as a mod for this.

Congrats.  You are mod-elect of Atlas After Dark Off-Topic. 
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 06:02:17 PM »

Nah, there is little overlap between my social life and Atlas. The role Atlas forum plays in my life is for pilling up various election and political news and commentary into one convenient place where I can contribute while being noticed for it. I mean I like the humour, even the crude stuff, but I don't come here for entertainment exactly.

Having a Shadow Atlas adds nothing for me, and in fact detracts from my experience by putting some of the better commentators on a place I won't access.

But I won't stop you or anything.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 06:04:11 PM »

I'd be willing to help with this
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 06:04:41 PM »

I'd be willing to help with this

Thank you, BK.  That would be awesome.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 06:05:15 PM »

10 interesteds in less than an hour.  I'm putting this into motion. 
retromike22
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 06:05:52 PM »

Finally, a place for my Photoshop masterpieces.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 06:08:45 PM »

11 votes. I bet we'll have close to 30 before the night is through. Looks like we're off to the races, boys.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 06:10:06 PM »

I support the return of opebo, jmfcst, etc but part of their value as posters was their interaction within this community. I don't care about profanity (it's hardly enforced here anyway) and I can get explicit sexual content from plenty of other places on the internet. Update would be its main (perhaps only?) appeal. Why not start an Update subreddit? Maybe it'd start trending and you'd have a chance to show it off to the world.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 06:11:23 PM »

I support the return of opebo, jmfcst, etc but part of their value as posters was their interaction within this community. I don't care about profanity (it's hardly enforced here anyway) and I can get explicit sexual content from plenty of other places on the internet. Update would be its main (perhaps only?) appeal. Why not start an Update subreddit? Maybe it'd start trending and you'd have a chance to show it off to the world.

Part of their value, indeed, but I'd like to have the other part back. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 06:12:02 PM »

This sounds like a good idea, but I would be wary about making too many forums. I think, especially if there are only 20-30 of us, then no more than two or three sub-forums are really necessary. Maybe just "Politics" and "Not Politics" forums would be good, to start with.

Also I think Torie is confusing Eraserhead and me. Tongue
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 06:13:29 PM »

Part of the reason why I wouldn't like to stop every single non-Atlas entity from posting on the new forum is that I would love to see if we could actually attract a few more female and minority posters to our forum than there are here. It's not like that would be an especially tall order.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 06:15:21 PM »

This sounds like a good idea, but I would be wary about making too many forums. I think, especially if there are only 20-30 of us, then no more than two or three sub-forums are really necessary. Maybe just "Politics" and "Not Politics" forums would be good, to start with.

Also I think Torie is confusing Eraserhead and me. Tongue

Haha, I thought he might be at first too but I think he was referring to HockeyDude.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies