Is Oklahoma Southern?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:25:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is Oklahoma Southern?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Is Oklahoma Southern?  (Read 2392 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2015, 05:39:12 PM »

Yes.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:52:21 PM »

Yes, but only to the extent that Texas is.  It's easily more culturally Southern than Virginia in the present day, so it qualifies.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:29:47 PM »

No, except for the eastern 20% which is an extension of the western Appalachians through the Ozark plateau. The rest fits better with northern TX and southern KS as the southern part of the Great Plains, where the economy relies on energy production and large-scale agriculture. Since that part is the majority of the land and population of OK, it isn't really in the South.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:31:27 PM »

Could anywhere but the South produce a creature such as Bushie?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 07:36:15 PM »

Yep. I have visited many areas with residents like that, and they were nowhere near the south.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 08:00:48 PM »

There are plenty of Bushies in places like Indiana and Ohio and even parts of California.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 08:23:11 PM »

There are plenty of Bushies in places like Indiana and Ohio and even parts of California.

Don't forget NW Iowa.  Granted, they're Calvinists and don't pick-and-choose scripture flagrantly.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 10:04:26 PM »

I consider all of these states Southern, and I'd divide them up this way:

(YES, this is just my personal view.)

DEEP SOUTH
Arkansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina

WESTERN SOUTH
Oklahoma
Texas

NORTHERN BORDER SOUTH
Kentucky
Tennessee
West Virginia
Virginia
North Carolina

SOUTHERN BORDER SOUTH
Florida

I'd also consider the following to be the South:

Far Southern Missouri
Southeastern Kansas
Far Southern Illinois
Far Southern Indiana
Rural Maryland
Rural Delaware
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 07:05:39 AM »

I wouldn't consider Oklahoma as southern.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 10:09:41 AM »

I would say that parts are Southern and it is definitely a state influenced by the South, but it is not in totality a Southern state.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 10:32:32 AM »

No, except for the eastern 20% which is an extension of the western Appalachians through the Ozark plateau. The rest fits better with northern TX and southern KS as the southern part of the Great Plains, where the economy relies on energy production and large-scale agriculture. Since that part is the majority of the land and population of OK, it isn't really in the South.

I'm pretty sure is more than 20% bro, unless you are excluding Tulsa county (which is reasonably fair, given how traditionally Republican and cosmopolitan Tulsa county is from its Little Dixie neighbors) from the Eastern part.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2015, 08:00:19 AM by muon2 »

I'm pretty sure is more than 20% bro, unless you are excluding Tulsa county (which is reasonably fair, given how traditionally Republican and cosmopolitan Tulsa county is from its Little Dixie neighbors) from the Eastern part.

Correct, I don't count the Tulsa area as part of Little Dixie, nor does Wikipedia. Little Dixie is clearly influenced by Southern culture by all accounts. Tulsa isn't particularly more Southern than OKC. It was founded as a boom town for oil, which goes to my comments about the similarity of OK to north TX.

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »

Correct, I don't count the Tulsa area as part of Little Dixie, nor does Wikipedia. Little Dixie is clearly influenced by Southern culture by all accounts. Tulsa isn't particularly more Southern than OKC. It was founded as a boom town for oil, which goes to my comments about the similarity of OK to north TX.

Okay you just confused me when you said Eastern instead of Southeastern.  Though I should note that even Green Country (Northeast OK) does share very similar geography with NW Arkansas and SW Missouri.

/from there.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 03:17:21 PM »

So our ancestors spent time in Little Dixie. Interestingly though, your ancestors were Volga Germans, and mine were New England Yankees (arriving via way stations in Steuben County NY, and then Jackson County, Indiana over successive generations), and that ain't Dixie at all! Smiley
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 05:21:08 PM »

parts of it are: the old 3rd definitely is while the rest of the state is more has a Great Plains/Kansasy feel to it
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 06:44:41 PM »

Southeastern Oklahoma is, the rest is Great Plains.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 11:27:11 AM »

Southern plains.  Like the south, but with good steak and better infrastructure.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 06:01:19 PM »

I would say yes, but at best its quasi-southern. Only OK-2 has all of the usual traits of being southern.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 06:50:49 PM »

Oklahoma may not be the Deep South, but it is part of the South.   Texas and Oklahoma are both Great Plains and Southern states, just as Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas are Great Plains and Midwestern states.

North Texas and Oklahoma are part of the Bible Belt, the states are leaders in executions, are ancestrally Democratic (unlike the northern Great Plains states), and the two states have the most overwhelmingly conservative white populations outside of the Deep South.
ClimateDem
Rookie
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 05:36:35 PM »

I think that Oklahoma is more of a Nebraska/Kansas like state than anything else, though it and Arkansas are remarkably similar.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 12:48:58 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies