Opinion of the phrase "Taxation is theft"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:16:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the phrase "Taxation is theft"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Taxation is theft, yay or nay?
FF

HP

Needs to be rephrased, but basically accurate

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Opinion of the phrase "Taxation is theft"?  (Read 1658 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« on: May 15, 2015, 06:39:21 PM »

Pretty much all anthropological evidence contradicts the social contract theory. States originally came about via conquest and plunder, not voluntary compact, that's just a historical fact.

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:16:20 AM »

But if you want a argument, you can use in your mission as a modern Sisyphus, there's a very simple one. He can stop paying tax if he moves out of USA or if he decides to live completely of the grid. He choose to pay tax by using the services the state deliver like roads, internet, electricity grid. If you stopped using all these things, the state would no longer be able to find him.
The ability to hide from a thief hardly legitimates his thievery.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
A better analogy would be a buffet that you would charged for regardless of how much you ate, or whether you ate at all. In that case, you might as well eat from it, but that wouldn't mean you voluntarily agreed to pay for the buffet.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:38:29 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2015, 09:43:20 AM by Deus Naturae »

Well that's not hiding, it's not eating at the buffet.
No...that's still illegal. The U.S. government could seize your property and throw you in a rape cage for doing that. They may not want to invest the effort if you're just a hillbilly in the middle of nowhere, but that's just the equivalent of a thief choosing to let someone go because they have nothing in their wallet, not a voluntary service provider.

But even if I'd never eaten...I'd still have to pay. If I wanted to stop eating now, I'd still have to pay in the future.

It's as if I walked into a restaurant, and then head a gun pointed at me by a waiter who said, "You will have to pay for meals here for the rest of your life. You're free to eat elsewhere, but you'll still have to pay us regardless. If you ever bring your kids to eat here, it's the same deal for them for the rest of their lives."
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 12:06:52 PM »

There's a lot of countries where you don't pay tax, they're usual not very nice countries or they're very exclusive countries, who don't let everybody in.
Such as?

If animals do better in the wild, why are there so many (in some cases entire species) in zoos?

The difference is that we assert these things could be provided without coercive taxation on a free market by voluntary providers at competing rates, as opposed to the unilaterally determined fixed price of taxation.

Basically, I think these benefits can be provided without stealing from people. As long as they're funded via theft, I'm not going to stop using them, but I'd obviously still prefer they they weren't.

Trust me, I'm fully aware that I currently have no option but to live under some kind of government (whether tribal or modern) if I want to live in society, just as a dog in a city must either live with a master, go to the pound, or hide in dark alleys.

I don't see how the fact that I have to tolerate theft for practical reasons negates the reality of thievery.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies