Vote No to the Electoral Reform Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:34:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vote No to the Electoral Reform Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Vote No to the Electoral Reform Amendment  (Read 3525 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2015, 09:49:51 PM »

I would argue that these interests are better protected by transforming the Governors from irrelevant voting booth operators into real players.

The question we should be asking, is why we have so curtailed the areas of responsibility at the regional level, that they are such and thus have to become map drawers to be relevant? A regional executive is relevant because he leads that region, because he signs legislation that materially impacts that region and because his policies and actions engender support or opposition from a population in their region. That should be 90% of the range of a Governor's operations, and the other stuff and important yes, but minority consideration when it comes to determining relevancy. Competence on the 100% pie and agree/disagree on that 90% should thus form the basis of a competitive party system in each region.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2015, 10:18:25 AM »

Polls close in the Pacific in just over 5 hours and in around 11 hours in the Northeast.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »

Vote No campaign statement
On behalf of the No campaign, I would like to congratulate the "Aye" campaign on their victory in the Pacific - now that polling has closed in that region.

Pacific results:
Yes - 6 (60%)
No - 4 (40%)
Turnout - 10 (40%)

Our campaign, however, continues in the Northeast, Mideast, Midwest and the South, until the polls are closed in these regions and the Southern legislature has had its final vote.

We will continue to fight for every vote until we know the final verdict on this amendment.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2015, 03:25:59 PM »

Vote No campaign statement
I would like to thank everyone on the No campaign for the support that you have given me throughout this campaign, but above all I'd like to thank everyone in Atlasia for making this campaign an exciting and lively one.

The Electoral Reform Amendment has failed to gain support in at least four of the five regions in Atlasia. This means that the Amendment has failed, at this stage. I accept the verdict of the people and I request that everyone in Atlasia follows in accepting the democratic verdict of the country.

I've spoken to, and convinced, many people across throughout campaign – people from different parties from me, different political beliefs as me, but people who share the same view on this issue. It's been an enjoyable few weeks.

However, I recognise that a majority of regions did vote in support of the amendment, as well as 50% of those who voted via a referendum in four of the five regions.

Now we face the effects of Atlasia's decision:

On behalf of the no campaign, I accept the result and I pledge to work co-operatively and constructively in the interests of Atlasia.

I promised, during the campaign, to hold talks with the President and the leader of the "Aye" campaign about holding a 'national conversation' to find a voting system that a majority of people would agree with. I am still committed to this.

I’ll be speaking to both the leader of the "Aye" campaign and the President tomorrow and I’ll make another statement later to reflect on the full results.

Finally, as many people pointed out during the campaign - I was a Labour party member opposing a key policy of the Labour President. I feel that it may be beneficial, for both my party and myself, for me to resign as a member of the Labour Party.

I am yet to make my final decision, however. I may chose to stay on as a member, become an independent, join another party or create a new one.

Additionally, I'm considering my position in the North East Assembly. The people of the North East voted to pass this amendment - I campaigned hard against the amendment, in opposition the wishes of the majority of people that I represent. But, again, I haven't made my final decision.

To wrap up - I'd once again like to thank everyone who has supported me during this campaign and I hope we can bring the country together quickly.

I'll take any questions for those who have any.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2015, 04:50:54 PM »

While I disagree with you strongly about this amendment, I think you have done a fantastic job in the Assembly and articulating your views on issues including this one. It would be a great loss if you stepped down, and I hope you decide to remain active in Atlasian politics.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2015, 05:09:07 PM »

I want to thank Clyde for his performance defending the Nay side in the debate.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2015, 05:13:40 PM »

I echo what Senator Talleyrand says.  It would be a real shame for you to feel you have to leave Labor or the asembly, because you don't.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2015, 04:27:11 AM »

The northeast vote was razor thin and this vote cleaved every party at least somewhat. I think you should remain both an Assemblyman, and I don't think you should leave your party on this basis.

I do want to thank you for leading such a strong effort and I must say I found your arguments compelling as well as your willingness to work with the other side in the aftermath. The last two controversial amendments illustrate very much so the need to include all the leading voices on various facets for any reform impacting the legislative branch to have a chance.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2015, 10:33:45 PM »

I want to thank Clyde for his performance defending the Nay side in the debate.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies